Pinchbecks in Middle Wallop...

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Been meaning to post this since Saturday night but haven't had the chance... But I'm afraid it's not a good report...

OK Becky sets off Saturday mornign in her 3yo Golf ( that doesn't start properly anymore incidently ) to trade it in for her new company car. A spangly new Leon FR TDI :thumbup:

She was well excited as she's been waiting for this day since she ordered it ages ago. Anyway about 2 hours later I get a phone call, thinking it was her telling me how great it was, but no I got a VERY panicked Becky on the phone. The car had just stopped. What made it worse is she'd got half way from pinchbecks to Reading. Her car had cut out dangerously in the middle of the road, on a Roundabout, in Basingstoke. Obviously I'm jumping into the R thinking it's the battery isn't connected right. Eventually she calls to say a police car has helped her off the roundabout and SEAT assist are getting someone to her.

When I get to her she's been met by the AA guy already and he's diagnosed the fault. That £10 worth of fuel they had put in her brand new TDI was none other than their finest UNLEADED!!!! :censored:

So we ended up spending the rest of the day driving back to Pinchbecks, AA man towing the FR behind us. And then they had the cheak to quiz the AA guy as if to blame Becky for putting Petrol in it. Now even the simplest of simpletons would be able to spot the huge DESIEL ONLY sticker on the filler flap.

Anyway the FR is with Pinchbecks who are going to flush the system and put a full tank of the black pumps fuel this time ( I hope :whistle: ) while B has a TDI Altea until they deliver it back to her. They also bunged us a few quid to go out for a meal as compo.

The thing that worries me is that a dealer could put the wrong fuel in a car, leaving a lone woman to drive up a motorway etc in a brand new car which would cut out at any moment. She was on the M3 only a few minutes before it cut out :-o

The fact that it cut out on an empty roundabout, leaving her with no power stearing as it died, was lucky. Had she been pulling out of a junction etc with a truck comming or something there could have been a serious accident.

So :thumbd: to Pinchbecks. But a HUGE :thumbup: :thumbup: to SEAT Assist for getting someone out to her fast, and :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: to the AA guy that came out for diagnosing the problem immediately and for backing Becky up at the dealer when they were trying to offload the blame. If you're reading this mate thanks ;)

Pete

ALEX**

WTF
Feb 26, 2004
south-East
Visit site
Glasd Becky is ok mate, at least the police helped out and didnt drive past (seen them do that in more than one situation where they should have helped)

hope it hasnt put her off the car too much.

i think id right to seat UK they should be informed of how inept their dealers are!!

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Two police cars did drive by her without stopping before the 3rd one stopped to help her out :eek:

It's not put her off the car I don't think, ( she's already talking about replacing the crap stereo :thumbup: ) and she knows the score dealer wise from my problems with various ones. But she's rightly upset that she hasn't got her new car.

Pete

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
Ok mistakes happen but a main dealer?!?! Especially as they must know how excited people get when picking up new cars, must have really ruined the whole experience. At least it happened on a comparatively quiet road as you say.

Bex

Well it was an interesting start to my very first Seat of my very own but it hasn't put me off and I am looking forward to getting it back.

As yet, Pinchbeck's haven't contacted the owner of the vehicle (i.e. Lombard) to even tell them there's a problem so they're not best pleased either :(

ALEX**

WTF
Feb 26, 2004
south-East
Visit site
Bex said:
Well it was an interesting start to my very first Seat of my very own but it hasn't put me off and I am looking forward to getting it back.

As yet, Pinchbeck's haven't contacted the owner of the vehicle (i.e. Lombard) to even tell them there's a problem so they're not best pleased either :(

Hey Bex glad to see you not put off and ur ok.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Glad she is ok. One thing in your favour is im sure the diesel and petrol nozels at pumps are designed not to go in the other arnt they?

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
oh it is, my dad (merchant navy engineer for 10 yrs) has done it twice :blink:

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
dam thats the last time i trust anyone with my car then as i thought you couldnt make the mistake!

"A square peg wont fit into a round hole"
"It bloddy will with a sledge hammer!"

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
Icecavern said:
I don't think you can put desiel in a petrol, I'm sure the nozzle wont fit, but the other way round definately does work it would seem :whistle: .

Pete
A bloke at work did this to his S320CDI the other day, cost him over a grand to get flushed!

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
dad has put petrol in both the works van and his old a4 avant

Stu B

DarthWombleIII & WombleII
re petrol in a derv motor - Yeah I've done this Opps Not mine thankfully, ah as Pete states you can put petrol in a Derv motor, but not the other way coz of the unleaded neck being silm'er to the derv fuel filler ....

Re Pinchbecks - I await AndyB's comments, but mine is Well well well, now there's a surprise.... Not!
I'm affriad there is about two/maybe three guys their that I have any confidence in the rest, sorry NO!

Enjoy the Altea .... ..... The flush on the FR will help, my father in law was at the filling station some time back, chatting to his wife etc, only put half a tank full in...

Had the car flushed (Funny enough at Pinchebecks....) commented that the car was a lot smoother than it had been..... Hmmm new fuel filter probably was the fix there....

When I did it, I hadnt started the motor, when I realised what I had done.., (had only put a tenner's worth in) so I filled the tank up with Derv, rocked the car sidewards, (Further 30£)

Didnt rev it, took it steady & was fine.. Expect the car thought it was very low quality derv LOL....

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Yeah Bex had done a search for the dealer and found bad comments, but it's just where the lease company bought it, it's unlikely it will go back there for servicing.

The altea isn't bad actually, better than I thought, but it's still a bus

LordNikon

Mar 6, 2005
Hampshire
Glad to hear its getting sorted .....

Flushing an engine is big $$$ by all accounts. How easy is it to check that its done properly and there are no underlying problems resulting from this error ???

I know "it will run" after and it wasn't when it was broken down, but would still have afew ?? over the whole thing !

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members