Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
General Update

Been a little quiet in terms of actually modding the car due to losing my previous job. Thankfully I found myself a good job which I started at the start of August so the car will be getting some more attention in the coming months. Watch this space. :)

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Sorry to hear about the job Maz....... not a good thing to happen in this climate mate. Still - onwards and upwards with the new one!

Good luck with it and looking forward to seeing your mod'ing habit arise from its dormant state!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Importance of good fuel

I think in the time I had the car I only ever put normal fuel in the car a dozen times. Recently I was forced to put normal diesel in the car because the BP Ultimate pumps where closed. I only put £30 in but boy does the car feel low on power. I think the car has lost at least 10bhp and some torque from the bad fuel. Smokes more on boost where as with the good fuel it was much cleaner. The deliver of the power is no way near as good and the car feels like it has a cold despite the lower temperatures recently. Looking forward to some Vpower or Ultimate!

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Hi Maz,

It's been a good couple of months since I last logged on; just enjoyed reading through your progress with the garage and car. Sounds as if you're a lot more content with where the car is now? The car looks brilliant as always! I bet you're becoming more and more reluctant to drive it after its last 'little' clean....

Hope all is dandy?

James :)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Hi Maz,

It's been a good couple of months since I last logged on; just enjoyed reading through your progress with the garage and car. Sounds as if you're a lot more content with where the car is now? The car looks brilliant as always! I bet you're becoming more and more reluctant to drive it after its last 'little' clean....

Hope all is dandy?

Hi James,

Good to hear from you. Yes car has been running well, apart from the poor bit of fuel in her which she obviously dislikes. Garage has turned out really well, love the workspace now. However the weekly spider check gets a little boring, they just keep coming. lol.

I am happy with the car and there are things I still want to do however I am considering a change. It may involve keeping the car or possibly using it to aid purchasing another. Its a considerable step up but have to weigh the pros and cons of getting one. I dont think I could get a golf bag or detailing gear in it for example...

Maz :)

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Hi James,

Good to hear from you. Yes car has been running well, apart from the poor bit of fuel in her which she obviously dislikes. Garage has turned out really well, love the workspace now. However the weekly spider check gets a little boring, they just keep coming. lol.

I am happy with the car and there are things I still want to do however I am considering a change. It may involve keeping the car or possibly using it to aid purchasing another. Its a considerable step up but have to weigh the pros and cons of getting one. I dont think I could get a golf bag or detailing gear in it for example...

Maz :)

Sounds very intriguing Maz... In a similar position tbh. I'm going for an Audi A4 estate S-Line if I can find one in the right spec; would love the BBSs on them but the search is proving more tricky than you might think (really like the '59 spec).... The audi dealer has given some good advice and they're keeping a look out. I've had the LCR for seven, nearly eight, years now and two months ago I thought I could get rid of her... that mindset had stuck until last week when I took her out of storage and washed her. Such a nice shaped car with bundles of charactor..... 3.0L TDI and will be keeping her and we'll see where I go with life in the next couple of years.

I guess for you, it depends which direction you're choosing... either way, I'm sure you'll have a few sleepless nights over it... :whistle:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Importance of good fuel

I think in the time I had the car I only ever put normal fuel in the car a dozen times. Recently I was forced to put normal diesel in the car because the BP Ultimate pumps where closed. I only put £30 in but boy does the car feel low on power. I think the car has lost at least 10bhp and some torque from the bad fuel. Smokes more on boost where as with the good fuel it was much cleaner. The deliver of the power is no way near as good and the car feels like it has a cold despite the lower temperatures recently. Looking forward to some Vpower or Ultimate!
Stuck in some BT Ultimate Deisel and noticed an instant improvement in power delivery, smoothness and smoke. Car feels great again.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Sounds very intriguing Maz... In a similar position tbh. I'm going for an Audi A4 estate S-Line if I can find one in the right spec; would love the BBSs on them but the search is proving more tricky than you might think (really like the '59 spec).... The audi dealer has given some good advice and they're keeping a look out. I've had the LCR for seven, nearly eight, years now and two months ago I thought I could get rid of her... that mindset had stuck until last week when I took her out of storage and washed her. Such a nice shaped car with bundles of charactor..... 3.0L TDI and will be keeping her and we'll see where I go with life in the next couple of years.

I guess for you, it depends which direction you're choosing... either way, I'm sure you'll have a few sleepless nights over it... :whistle:
Well I have unique opportunity now to upgrade car. Dont get me wrong I love my Leon to bits but I am afraid with a heavy heart she is going to go in the next 4-5 months. If I get a good offer now then may even sell early and just use the Mrs car.

Back to resisting the lure of an RS4 is it Maz ?
I have been put off by the reliability issues of the v8 engine in the RS4.

I dont want to say that my next car will 100% be X as I am still doing the maths, figuring out how I am going to carry on my hobby with no boot space etc...etc...

I am considering 3-4 cars at the moment. In the coming months I will be looking at all of them, doing my research etc...My main goal is to buy a Porsche 911 Turbo but it could be a Cayman or a 4S. If the maths dont add up then it will be another car.

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
The point of me buying a new car will be for practicality, so with the LCR staying, it's a viable comparison for me, as they'll be like chalk and cheese. Hand on your heart Maz, with a Porsche or something of that calibre in your garage, would you be able to give the same level of dedication and time that the Leon presently receives? Love affairs hey!!!

What’s the brief for your next car? Would you imagine it staying standard but in an immaculate state (fast but grown up) or something with a bit of scope in the years ahead? Either way, I'm sure it'll be special and a little exciting too.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
The point of me buying a new car will be for practicality, so with the LCR staying, it's a viable comparison for me, as they'll be like chalk and cheese. Hand on your heart Maz, with a Porsche or something of that caliber in your garage, would you be able to give the same level of dedication and time that the Leon presently receives? Love affairs hey!!!

What’s the brief for your next car? Would you imagine it staying standard but in an immaculate state (fast but grown up) or something with a bit of scope in the years ahead? Either way, I'm sure it'll be special and a little exciting too.

I am pretty sure the new car will receive same attention from the Leon has got, maybe a different kind of attention. Your spot on with your assessment of what I want for the next car. I hope that I wont mod the Porsche because it shouldn't really need modding. Yes the uprated bush here, better brake pads, discs etc...I intend to keep the car standard and highly maintained.

As I said, need to sit down and do the math in detail and see what I can actually afford / be willing to pay. As the moment as a figure in my head its definitely possible hence I am working through the process.

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
............My main goal is to buy a Porsche 911 Turbo .........

My cousin works for Porsche in Colchester (sales) and we were up there last week with a Turbo up on the ramps having one of its major services. The engine was on a hydraulic lift at the side of it whilst they were "inspecting it". My point - find out about all of the routine service elements cos they aint gonna be cheap!!!

Just had an exhaust back box on the M3 under warranty - it would have cost £760+vat, + £120 fitting and not many warranties other than main dealer would have covered it for what was actually wrong with it. My next point - get a cast iron (probably main dealer "approved used" scheme) warranty on these types of cars - its worth every penny!!

Exhaust issue here.
Exhaust fixed here.

Fuel costs ????? Live with it....... 22mpg average - its worth it!!

Last thing - tyres. Ouch. Heavy wear, heavy costs, no such thing as a budget tyre on these!! £1k per set.

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
General Update

Been a little quiet in terms of actually modding the car due to losing my previous job. Thankfully I found myself a good job which I started at the start of August so the car will be getting some more attention in the coming months. Watch this space. :)

Bad times but also goot times, Maz (I know how you feel about loosing jobs :()

I also DEMAND that you come oop norf and give my car a good detail ;)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.