possible best mod eveeeer

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Obviously there is a lot more resistance but it is not excessive. The tailgate can still be closed with one hand but it needs to be pushed all the way down to shut it.

raylee25

Jan 24, 2012
London
If I don't use the boot for a long period of time, the first opening needs a bit of assistance, after that it will open everytime without fail. But I am still going to buy the Scirocco bump stops to give it some help

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
If I don't use the boot for a long period of time, the first opening needs a bit of assistance, after that it will open everytime without fail. But I am still going to buy the Scirocco bump stops to give it some help

I had the same problem before and after I fitted the Scirocco bumpers. I had to play about with setting the length of the bumpers and found that about 38mm closed length (spring compressed) is about right. Less than that, it was struggling to open the first time after it had been closed for a few hours. So far, this length seems to work. It worked okay after being closed for 5 hours. Will try it again in the morning.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2010
Gosport. Hampshire
Well I have just fitted mine and works fine. But will have to wait a few hours and try again as has been said.

Only difference being I went for slightly stronger ones then timsawf and most others

Will report back later

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
It just appears there are more people having issues than success stories!!

I disagree. We are effectively trying something that hasn't really been done on the Leon before and a few tweeks and minor changes to the original idea is not unexpected. Mine just failed to open this morning but it was near freezing, don't know if the temp will have an effect on it. Just tried it now (8 hrs later) and no problem. If it occasionally fails to open fully after it has been closed overnight, I think that is still a 90% success, a lot better than before when the facility to open it was useless as the tailgate never moved and remained locked. On the occasions it doesn't open fully, it still opens 3 or 4 inches and only takes a touch with a finger to open it. Vast improvement.

Last edited:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I have found the same issue as TSiBoy, i used the more powerful ones, however I have just returned them to get the ones that Tim and others have used as i found the more powerful ones, too powerful. There was no way my girlfriend could close the boot, thats no good! So i'm swopping them, also buying the scirocco bumpers tomorrow :)

raylee25

Jan 24, 2012
London
I have found the same issue as TSiBoy, i used the more powerful ones, however I have just returned them to get the ones that Tim and others have used as i found the more powerful ones, too powerful. There was no way my girlfriend could close the boot, thats no good! So i'm swopping them, also buying the scirocco bumpers tomorrow :)

Does her feet dangle off the ground? Tell her to go to the gym or put on some weight.

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Fitted! They are awesome. Potentially best mod in the world, but,

I would be interested in custom struts as these are twice as difficult to shut. Also seem like the is too much force when it gets going. I have no spoiler and ordered the tailgate and wiper octavia strut.

Solutions anyone?