possible best mod eveeeer

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Just thought what else makes these the best mod eveeer.

If you crash and end up upside down, just,press your boot open and voila! Back on track robot wars style

Dale_tem

Feb 9, 2012
Just switched my struts to the 1U6827550F from www.cargasstruts.co.uk (Octavia ones) and it works great.

However if you are a bit on the weedy side, you may not want to do this mod as it does make the boot more difficult to close.

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
I do think low temperatures are affecting it. As I said before, mine didn't open yesterday morning when it was just above freezing but worked great 8 hours later when it was a bit warmer. This morning I purposely didn't open it until after I drove it and warmed it up a bit. It was still only about +3C outside but it opened fully.

I think in a few weeks when the weather is a bit milder, it should work all the time.

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Just altered my origional bumpers slightly, opened first time after not opening. I just stuck a allen key in, turned, an pushed the bumper in about 4mm, then tightened. Still concerend though, when it does open the car shakes and the body/strut mounts shake. Maybe there overkill possibly we need is one that is just strong enough so they dont hang in the balance or drop in the first quarter of boot opening (origonal ones drop first quater)

I have an idea. If we have the rating (N) of the origonal strut and the overly powerful and hard to shut one we should find a middle ground or even 60:40 difference in ratings we should be fine.

Anybody live near this place or other strut place?

Also, how well do strutsdirect deal with returns???

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Still concerend though, when it does open the car shakes and the body/strut mounts shake.

No idea why it's doing that. Just tested mine with a cup of water on the roof and there wasn't even a ripple. It sounds like you may have the struts fitted incorrectly and they're not opening smoothly, not sure how though. I think we could use weaker struts if there was a way to push the tailgate open 6" when it was opened.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
yesterday i installed some of the octavia struts, but 550newton ones, today i installed the sirocco bumper stops without the powerful struts on. Both times when i closed the boot, the tailgate appeared to be slightly further out then it normally was, and from the side sort of looked like it wasnt shut properly. This will be due to the increased force pushing it off the car, i know, but it does make me wonder if it is any good for the car!

Dale_tem

Feb 9, 2012
Jarre - did you adjust the original bump stops?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
i haven't done, no. I'm debating whether it's worth all the hassle of it! It has just worried me seeing that the tailgate is a bit off the body of the car when the sturts, or sirocco bumpers, are on the car.

Dale_tem

Feb 9, 2012
With the new struts, my boot aligns the same. The bump stops are the bits that would push it out more.

Dale_tem

Feb 9, 2012
The normal Octavia struts. The part number I posted this afternoon.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I returned my struts and have asked for the ones you have as a replacement for them. I will wait for the new ones to be delivered and try them. Have you just adjusted the original bumper stops? and do they work ok?

Sam

Dale_tem

Feb 9, 2012
All I have done so far is change the struts.

As mentioned when it gets Warner they will work a bit better.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
okie dokie, well i'll wait for the struts and try them. If it needs a little extra push i do still have the sirocco bumpers. Hopefully it will all be okay!

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Jarre

You will probably need to adjust the bumpers. Mine were fully extended when I bought them which is far too long. Adjust them, with the spring compressed, to a few millimetres longer than your original bumpers.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members