Power cut and revs limited..Whats goin on?

mel1989

As the title says, car wont let me go past 3000rpm and has reduced power, makes drivin a bit of a pain. Anyone got any ideas as to why its doin this?

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
What engine is in your car??? Any warning lights?? More information needed I'm afraid.

My TDI 130 Sport did that when the Mass Air Flow Sensor died on me.

Last edited:

mel1989

its a 1.2 and the engine management light is on, hopefully guna get it on diagnostics tmrw, will keep ya posted

mel1989

Car had more tests at a tuning place, and they said it was the cam chain that was causing the problem. Quoted me £240ish to replace it, and do oil n filter change.
After reading another thread on here, im convinced that its the tensioner thats causing the jumping, and that its just the tensioner n guide that are needed. Just rang for prices at local seat dealer (autoworld in Chesterfield) £21 for tensioner, £4 for guide. Should i get these an have them fitted or pay £75 for the kit with the chain?
Also how long does it take to fit tensioner and guide? and is there anythin else i should be aware of? cheers

mark1231

Sep 29, 2009
If the chain has stretched you need to replace all ok check all the coils are working :D

Last edited:

gh1985

I had the exact same problem about 4 months ago, on my 1.2 ibiza. Whenever i got to 3000rpm the car started slowing down. It seemed to fix itself once i turned the engine off and back on though and only happened that one time.

Ive been getting a squeaking noise from the car since around then and its been getting worse and worse. it happens whenever i take my foot off the accelerator pedal, it also happens when i'm on rough ground. Dont think its the suspension though as doesnt happen when the engine is off and i bounce the car... wondering now if the two might be related? Anyone any idea?

mel1989

Not sure what the exact cause of the problem was, but thought i mite aswell get the entire cam kit fitted, rather than pay 3 hours labour and risk it still not workin. All is good now an shes running sweet as a nut :) cheers everyone :thumbup:

mark1231

Sep 29, 2009
I had the exact same problem about 4 months ago, on my 1.2 ibiza. Whenever i got to 3000rpm the car started slowing down. It seemed to fix itself once i turned the engine off and back on though and only happened that one time.

Ive been getting a squeaking noise from the car since around then and its been getting worse and worse. it happens whenever i take my foot off the accelerator pedal, it also happens when i'm on rough ground. Dont think its the suspension though as doesnt happen when the engine is off and i bounce the car... wondering now if the two might be related? Anyone any idea?

check gearbox mount rubber comes out ok

Last edited:

gh1985

i took it to the garage today, its got a years warranty so they checked it over but apparently its the front suspension bushes which arent covered by warranty. Think i'll get the cupra bushes ones, apparently much better and only a few quid more.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.