Recently purchased cupra

harves

harves

Posts: 1 Hi all i have just registered on this site but have been browsing since just before christmas when i decided to forget a sensible economical car and look to buy a seat leon cupra. I have just bought well in january a 2001 cupra with full history totally immaculate it was the previous owners pride and joy from new but he has now bought a cupra r.My only reservation was the milage being 172,000. I have just on last week put the car through the mot with no problems but my only gripe is from cold the car needs a good 30 secs to warm up if you try and drive off straight away it is juddery.Any suggestions ?
I absolutly love this car and it is just one niggle that i would like to get sorted.
I paid £1650 for the car as the owner was aware that the high milage will put some people off.Are there any other worries that i should have on this car considering the milage ?

MCrossy

Maybe someone with a little more knowledge can advise you a little further, but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Bare in mind the car is turbocharged, and while the technology has come on a lot you need to let it 'warm up' a bit first, as it makes use of heat from exhaust gases. At this time of year it's worth firing the car up, and by the time you've cleared the condensation from your windscreen, and/or cleared any ice and got comfortable you're pretty much good to go. You also need to leave the car idling for a short while again when you reach your destination, turning the engine straight off won't do the turbo any good.

As far as mileage goes you shouldn't have too many problems. Keep the car serviced reguarly, and you may need to change the oil on this one a bit more than a naturally aspirated counterpart, probably every 6 months or 6-8k miles will be fine

swilky23

Jul 3, 2008
rochdale
As long as its fsh you should be fine but if its not been done you will be due a cam belt change any time soon recomended about every 60000

harves

Just had oil and filter done last week same time as mot.
Cambelt was changed at 115k so i should be ok for a while.
Thanks for the feedback.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Can drive mine from cold.
For the sake of £10 i'd be replacing the ECU/CTS sensor the newer ones have a green top to it.

Mine was £10 from fleabay recently.

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
mine makes a whine/squeak noise when first started when its cold, normally only for about 10 seconds or so and idles a little higher than normal (about 1200rpm) but once the noise stops the idle drops to around 800rpm. Mine has 83k on the clock.

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Mine runs like poo on a cold start for a good 30 seconds, idles at about 1200 then drops down properly. My secondary air pump is buggered ;)

If yours sounds pretty noisy on the cold start then its quite possible its the same thing, alot of others have had problems with it and there's a thread over on the Golf MkIVs forum with a guide on bodging it back together.

The noise basically sounds like a rattle followed by a loud hair dryer (plus the engine note sounds a bit off) smooth as ya like once it shuts down. Garage quoted me £300+ to have it replaced..

Could also be something else if that doesn't sound familiar :)

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
There is no problem with mine running when cold, it still runs perfectly but i've noticed the squeak / squeal noise and the car seems to idle higher, as soon as the noise stops, the revs drop to normal. Could this be early signs that the air pump on its way out?

If it is, where abouts is it in the mass of pipes under the bonnet? I'll take a look over the weekend. Can the secondary pump be removed if its knackered, is it needed?

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Here ya go: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/141240/940861.aspx

Can't say for sure if that is your problem, but it could be worth taking your bottom cover off and having a look. From what I understand it is only needed to reduce emissions before the cat has time to warm up so others have removed it but you have to blank it off and bypass the sensor.
It shouldn't failt the MOT on emissions as it will be warm already.

The repair doesn't look very difficult though :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.