Removing Rocker Cover?

jamiebennett81

I am trying to remove my rocker cover at the moment, to put my new satin black one on, but is it coming off, is it ****

removed the 6 bolts, and I have been told thats all there is to remove, then its a case of pulling it off

either I am missing another fixing on the rocker cover to undo or it's just stuff as hell!!

any suggestions?

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Have you tryed tapping the side of the casing with a soft face hammer. The gasket can be very tight through the compression on the rocker cover.

jamiebennett81

have you got new rocket gaskets? if ya taking it off?

I thought it was just a rubber seal that goes around this, not an actual gasket

the only gasket I know of around that area is the intake man gasket, but thats not coming off in this instance

B3LSY

thats what i meant the rubber one think u have to change it if your taking the rocker off,had a touch yesterday jamie, S3 cylinder head complete with manifold an K04 turbo £99 lol

jamiebennett81

thats what i meant the rubber one think u have to change it if your taking the rocker off,had a touch yesterday jamie, S3 cylinder head complete with manifold an K04 turbo £99 lol

hmmmm ok, think I will leave that for now, and change the coolant pipes instead...

although now started removing all the wiring off the fuel rail and located underneath, what a ball ache....why do we do it!!

nice result there mate, bet you are well chuffed:D

B3LSY

well chuffed only wanted the manifold,should get me car back next week fingers crossed

jamiebennett81

no photos but I see 9 bolts to remove it 3 on the front, 3 in middle near coil packs and 3 along the back, thats it! then tap with rubber mallet and lift off!! this is a BAM head btw!

ok thanks mate

will leave it for today now, light is fading fast and its still in bits

will update my "bay" thread later on....although one of those days where I had lots planned to do, and done nothing really

been delayed with removing all the crap off the fuel rail

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
As pete says there are 9 nuts holding it on. If its never been off before then they are stuck quite tight. Just remember to fit a new gasket and a little sealant on the corners where the cam chain tensioner and the end cam holder and also a little where the half moon is.

Im sure nothing seems to go smoothly with u jamie.

jamiebennett81

As pete says there are 9 nuts holding it on. If its never been off before then they are stuck quite tight. Just remember to fit a new gasket and a little sealant on the corners where the cam chain tensioner and the end cam holder and also a little where the half moon is.

Im sure nothing seems to go smoothly with u jamie.

4 hours work, and not much done (removing the wiring off the fuel rail was fiddly and took ages)

I'm confused with 9 bolts....I took off the 6 (3 at the front and 3 at the back) and there were three other holes in the middle of the rocker cover, and then two others with something in them, and what appear to be sheared off....

three bolt holes in the middle, is this the other ones = 9? - three bolts in the middle, directly under the CF cover

DSCN1783.jpg

and what are these two holes, with something in them, but the top of what ever it was appears to be sheered off....

DSCN1780.jpg

DSCN1781.jpg

and no your right Alex, nothing seems to go right, but each bit I change and work on I learn something (as I am no mechanic) so I am getting there slowly

jamiebennett81

thats doesnt look good

no it doesn't mate

thing is though, what ever those two holes are filled with and the top is sheared off, it's not a bolt as the actual hole is hollow, but something has been put in it (difficult to describe) like a hollow casing almost

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
The other 3 nuts are in the middle of the cover between the coil packs. The lugs that have something in them look like snapped bolts for the clips that hold the coil pack wiring to the rocker cover.

jamiebennett81

The other 3 nuts are in the middle of the cover between the coil packs. The lugs that have something in them look like snapped bolts for the clips that hold the coil pack wiring to the rocker cover.

ah right ok thanks

if they are lugs, can they just be pulled out? I noticed actually one lug left in on the right hand side which was holding in the wiring for the coil packs, so I presume with the other three bolts removed the RC should come off without any more issues, or will these lugs cause a problem....cant imagine they will

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
On the last pick, you can see one of the 3 10mm nuts under the 23 of the date.

Taking the cover off is pretty easy really, just do what alex said, put some sealant in the corner or you'll be in the position i'm in with oil leaking from the half moon all the time.

jamiebennett81

On the last pick, you can see one of the 3 10mm nuts under the 23 of the date.

Taking the cover off is pretty easy really, just do what alex said, put some sealant in the corner or you'll be in the position i'm in with oil leaking from the half moon all the time.

thanks mate

standard sealant, or any recommendations?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.