Replace key battery every 18 months?

Jul 19, 2020
Just wondered if it was normal to get this message so frequently? The car is only 6 years old and I've had it the last 3 years. This is the 2nd time I've had the "Replace Key Battery" message having replaced the battery in both keys about 18 months ago. One set hasn't been used at all and I've hardly used the main set either.
It's not keyless and I've no idea if the previous owner changed it so if I change them again then potentially this could be the 4th or 5th battery the keys have had already? My previous cars were used a lot more and I can only recall 2 battery changes so this seems really excessive.
Could I be changing this every couple of months if I used it daily?

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Make sure you use genuine Panasonic, GP or Duracell batteries, lots of fakes online.
Some owners fit CR2032 instead of CR2025 but I personally don't think it's necessary, my standard CR2025's lasted over 5 years.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It does seem to be a current trend for newish VW Group cars, my last car a 2000 VW Passat 4Motion - I replaced both keys when it was 8 years old, just because I wanted to avoid any annoyances when trying to lock/unlock it, my current car a 2011 Audi S4, I did the same thing at the 8 years old point. Same for my wife's previous 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16V and her 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI, though with this Polo, I think that I have yet to change the batteries. Older daughter with her 2019 Leon Cupra has received that message and I replaced the battery - but she has not bothered to change her mans car key battery! That car does not have Kessy. Younger daughter has just bought a 2019 SEAT Arona and one Kessy key has flagged up that its battery is at end of life - but so far they seem to be waiting for the second one to go the same way before ordering in any new batteries - I have tried to force the point and failed. Maybe now that she is back at her own flat again I'll send her a link to the ebay trader I have used for Panasonic coin batteries!

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I just change them when they stop working, I’ve had the message on the screen for months at times.

Jul 19, 2020
Make sure you use genuine Panasonic, GP or Duracell batteries, lots of fakes online.
Some owners fit CR2032 instead of CR2025 but I personally don't think it's necessary, my standard CR2025's lasted over 5 years.
I suppose they could be very good fakes. Can't remember if they came from store or online. I'm just surprised they both triggered the error at the same time I guess? Unless it doesn't clear quickly and one is a false positive. Tempted to see how long it lasts from this point but wouldn't want to get locked out!

As far as I know the only difference between CR2032 and CR2025 is the thickness, so the only issue would be that a 32 might not fit properly. The first two digits are the diameter and last two the thickness. They are otherwise the same voltage and capacity so won't last any longer.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I suppose they could be very good fakes. Can't remember if they came from store or online. I'm just surprised they both triggered the error at the same time I guess? Unless it doesn't clear quickly and one is a false positive. Tempted to see how long it lasts from this point but wouldn't want to get locked out!

As far as I know the only difference between CR2032 and CR2025 is the thickness, so the only issue would be that a 32 might not fit properly. The first two digits are the diameter and last two the thickness. They are otherwise the same voltage and capacity so won't last any longer.
I'm not sure what exactly your understanding of batteries is, but as you don't seem to know, "capacity" will influence "last" time.

Edit:- though I'm not suggesting that cramming a thicker than should be fitted battery into a key is a very good idea.

Jul 19, 2020
I'm not sure what exactly your understanding of batteries is, but as you don't seem to know, "capacity" will influence "last" time.

Edit:- though I'm not suggesting that cramming a thicker than should be fitted battery into a key is a very good idea.
Whilst I might be wrong on a CR2032 and CR2025 having the same capacity (though thickness doesn't necessarily equate to higher capacity), my comment says the same capacity would mean a battery won't last any longer. Your condescension doesn't come over well if you misread comments.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Whilst I might be wrong on a CR2032 and CR2025 having the same capacity (though thickness doesn't necessarily equate to higher capacity), my comment says the same capacity would mean a battery won't last any longer. Your condescension doesn't come over well if you misread comments.
Calm down a bit, you are wrong but that is okay.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.