Rims for Formentor VZ 228kw + Brembo

ferretz

Oct 11, 2021
Hello,

I’m looking for new rims for my Formentor since quite some time and it seems tricky to find something which is guaranteed to fit with the Brembo brakes.

I have the original 8.5x19 5x112 ET45, looking for other rims either in 19’ or 20’.

Most configurators do not offer the option to indicate about the Brembo brakes (just the model / engine setup) and I have been warned by few resellers that I may have issues due to the Brembo’s width.

Therefore I have decided to start this thread, hopefully some of you here do know some models which are known/guaranteed to fit (or can confirm).

What I have found so far as guaranteed to fit:

Borbet Y in 8x19 5x112 ET37 Bronze Matt

Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 16.51.45.png

JE-Design rims

Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 07.43.11.png

ABT Rims

ABT-Tuning_Cupra_Formentor_Front_seitlich_See.jpeg

I have found one reseller configuration which enables me to select the Brembo Brakes specifically but somehow I don’t trust the returned results.

I have contacted them and they said they cannot guarantee compatibility and I should contact the manufacturers directly (which I did for Mak and Thomason and didn’t get any answer)

I really like that one and was already considering for my previous car but can't get confirmation (it's listed on the reseller site but not on Mak's site so I suppose it's not going to work):

Mak Rennen 8.0x19 5x112 ET42 66.5

MAK_RENNEN_25.jpeg

From Mak, I also like the Speciale D which is available in the exact same dimensions with ET45 as the original rims (but not reported compatible with the Brembo on the reseller site listed before):

Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 07.49.00.png

https://www.makwheels.it/en/configurator/#298742446!EB51542

I have also found rims I like with the exact same dimensions from Tomason: The TN25 Superlight also in ET45.

Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 07.54.42.png

Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 07.54.59.png

One reseller told me that these would work, I have contacted Tomason 3 times including one last attempt in german but haven't got any answer from there.
I suppose the reseller only ensured that it's the exact same dimensions as the original cupra rims and it's why I still don't feel confident enough to order them.

The images with this one is a simulation (without Brembo).

From Tomason, I even prefer the TN26 from Tomason but these are with different ET: 8.5x19 ET30 so also don't have a clue if it might work.
Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 07.57.33.png

Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 07.57.45.png

So as a last resort, I have decided to ask here by starting this thread.

I suppose I'm not the first one looking for alternate rims and maybe you either have some other models to suggest (please Brembo only, I know that for other Formentors there is a larger choice) or have a way to confirm what would actually fit or not.

Thanks

Apr 30, 2021
Is this Brembo brakes on car from manufacter Cupra or you put this brakes after you buy car?? If the brembo brakes are from car manufacter ( like additional equipment) you can probably put any wheel size 8,5 x19 et 45. If you looking for other dimension for wheels look on the this site :https://www.wheel-size.com/ to ensure you have same wheels parameters. Are you sure you have 8,5 x19 et 45 because on this site https://www.wheel-size.com/ all Cupra's wit 19 inc alloys have 8x19 ET40

Last edited:

ferretz

Oct 11, 2021
It's the Brembo brakes that came originally with the vehicle as an option at order time, I suppose same ones as on the VZ2 in the UK.

The problem is that they pretty much "stick out" even compared to the screws.

I think you're right and the original ones are probably ET40.

1643794662919.png

Apr 30, 2021
I have that dimension and my wheels are 8x19 ET40 but they are silver and I don't have brembo brakes. From my opinion original Wheel size 8X19 ET40 is the same wheel size from other manufacters like MAK, ALUTEC...etc with dimension 8x19 ET40. When you use different wheel size (8 inch, 9 inch, different ET) look at the calculator to see distance from the brakes

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Dimensions dont really matter when looking at aftermarket rims.

You cannot take the same measurements as stock and expect them to fit.

To clear Brembo's it is all about the spoke design.

Other than trying them on like a pair of trainers there is no real other way of confirming they will fit

ferretz

Oct 11, 2021
Thanks for the feedback.

That's also the feeling I had and this is why I'm looking for picture of setups like I have posted above or personal experience (persons who actually have changed the rims to something fitting despite the Brembo brakes).

It seems that even if the rims dimensions are matching, it doesn't guarantee that it's going to work and will not touch the brembo brakes.

Giving them a try is unfortunately not an option, I don't know any place nearby where they may have these in stock and where I can just "go and try" so I will have to order online and for this I have to be sure of what I order.

I've also found some ebay listing where some models are specifically marked compatible with Brembo but refering to the VZ5 and I'm not sure it's a guarantee either:

Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 17.24.57.png

ferretz

Oct 11, 2021
I've just got answers from 2 nice ebay sellers regarding compatibility with Brembo brakes for some of the rims I had in mind.

Mak Speciale D 8.5x19 ET25
Seller

1643824401623.png

Answer:
The wheel fits on Cupra Formentor 228kw with Brembo brakes too and there's TUV document which can be found here:
https://b2bshop.makwheels.it/SysInf/MAK/Documenti/Certificati/EC8590%20WS1X-57,1-A03.pdf

Tomason TN26 8.5x19 ET30
Seller

1643824380433.png

Answer:
The Tüv has not given any restrictions in the report for the Brembo brake. This rim will also fit on the Formentor with the brembo brake.

Here is the TÜV-Certificat:
https://download.prok-raeder.de/gutachten/Tomason/gutachten/00358447.PDF

But even though, I'm still not feeling 100% confident to order.

I saw this same Mak in ET45 compatible with Formentor but not with Brembo from that page:

By there if I look at the ET25 variant, Formentor is not listed at all.

By trying to review the Tuv certificates (these and others), I have never seen a specific mention about the Brembo brakes in there and I don't know if there is any mention or anything I can rely on to have confirmation.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Anything lower than ET35 will stick out of the fenders.

ET25 will FOR SURE be too low.

Your safe range will be between ET40 and ET35, leaning more to 35 side to make sure you clear the Brembo calipers.

But again, as said, it is a lot about spoke design

ferretz

Oct 11, 2021
Thanks for the feedback.

After a couple of confirmations that they will fit and are homologated for the vehicle.

I am about to order the TN26 from Tomason, the TUV certificate indicates they are ok/homologated in EU:

These are in ET30. (Only homologated on the 4wd version which I have for the 110/228kw Formentor)

The TN25 which I also really like are in ET45 are also homologated however it’s not a direct fit and they require a 5mm spacer, longer screws, etc..

So I prefer to go for direct fit.

I am just confirming return conditions with the reseller “in case” and somehow still tempted to take them in 20’ instead of 19’ but I am going to order most likely today or tomorrow.

ferretz

Oct 11, 2021
I will ensure that I can send them back in case of issue and will schedule an appointment with garage to give it a try once they arrive.

Took me some some to finally be confident about the setup but you’re again putting me in doubts :) (btw it’s also why I started this thread so thanks for that)

I will clearly consider and verify your statement (it is not legal in my country to have wheels sticking out and would clearly result into non-homologation).

Et30 vs Et40 means that the wheel will be 1cm more on the exterior side of the vehicle right compared to to original wheels I have now?

Additionally new ones are 8.5 vs 8 meaning larger of 1/4 inch on each side (ext/int) so that’s 0.6cm extra?

Meaning that I have to account for 1.6cm more on the outside if I get it right? It’s true that it seems a lot but why would this setup be homologated by tuv austria (recognized in Switzerland) in this case?

Tires would be the same in 19 (245/40/19) and even slightly less large in 20 (235/35/20). Does that change anything?

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Correct fitment for 20" is what I already posted earlier

Edit: I did NOT post it earlier :)

Correct tire size for 20" is 245/35R20 - you mentioned 235/35R20 and that would be a smaller wheel circumference and throw out your speedo plus have too low tyre profile.

ferretz

Oct 11, 2021
072271B1-79B8-4716-9FC4-060D125BE712.png

I saw multiple fitting tires still from the tuv statement (225-255). The reason I had 235 in mind is because the tires I want are available with rim protection feature while the 245 apparently not (or not in stock).

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
As to tire sizes, forget what those papers say - go to the tire size calculator site I gave you, put the stock wheel size as reference and whatever you choose needs to match wheel circumference.
That is what matters - the tyre width will somehow be dependent on the rim width, but if you go for a wider tyre then you need to lower the sidewall size and increase the chances of rubbing.

I am pretty sure that a few of those sizes quoted in the table you published are completely wrong.

Reactions: ferretz

ferretz

Oct 11, 2021
Thanks noted for the tires.

As for the ET30 on the pictures, I agree they seem to "reasonably" stick out :) Meaning the rims is really a little bit sticking out but the tire not really.

My only concern is about this setup going to be legal / homologated or not.

Will try to get opinion from my garage.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
As an aside, I have the Ateca Limited Edition with Brembos. It takes 8j x 20 ET40 rims as standard. For winter I bought a used set of Audi Q5 R8 19" rims 8j x 19 ET39, and they clear the calliper by about 5mm. I have to run spigot rings on them of course, as they have the 66.5mm bore, whereas the Ateca has 57.1mm.

Apr 30, 2021
Correct fitment for 20" is what I already posted earlier

Edit: I did NOT post it earlier :)

Correct tire size for 20" is 245/35R20 - you mentioned 235/35R20 and that would be a smaller wheel circumference and throw out your speedo plus have too low tyre profile.
I think that VZ5 have 255/35 R 20 . You go to 10 mm wider and 10 mm less

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise