Road accident- Seat Ensurance

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
That might be true in some cases but I'm sure there is more to things than that. A good insurance company will want repairs that reflect their standards, not a shoddy job that the customer is going to complain about. When I've had repairs done the garages used were widely regarded as being the best in the area.

My current insurer’s (Aviva) nearest approved repairer to where I live is also approved by Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda.

My brother - also insured with Aviva - claimed for body repairs to his car under his policy a couple of years ago (Mutjack deer jumped out of a hedgerow into the side of his car). He used the above approved repairer and the repairs were excellent. Because of my car OCD, I’m usually quite good at spotting repairs; differences in paintwork finish and colour, irregularities in panel gaps / shut lines, paint overspray etc. I could see absolutely no evidence of repairs to his car, and because I’d seen it in its pre-repaired, damaged state, I knew where to look.

I’d have no hesitation in using my insurer’s approved repairer - certainly not the one who repaired my brother’s car, and that would be the one my insurer would direct me to as it’s closest to me.

Carl Levoir

Jan 2, 2019
Watch out though, as some insurance policies allow the insurance companies to use pattern parts

I crashed my Leon into a post and it needed a new front wing, it was still within the 3 year warranty period so I wanted original parts fitted

I used Seat Ensurance and ended up having my car repaired at a local VW dealer, my insurance company (LV) had no problems and the quality of the reapir is excellent.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I’m usually quite good at spotting repairs; differences in paintwork finish and colour, irregularities in panel gaps / shut lines, paint overspray etc. I could see absolutely no evidence of repairs to his car..

I'm like that as well. Years ago I had my car fixed after being side-swiped by a truck. Only the doors were hit but they painted the whole side of the car because it would have shown if they'd just painted the doors. Was perfect. Could not see the join.

andycupra

status subject to change
of course they will use 'good' repair centres, its not efficient to keep a contract with places that have a lot of issues. So yes, they usually will complete repairs to a good standard, and you will tend to have more recource if there are issues if you use their approved repairers.
Personally I would use an approved repairer, but if for example I know someone or a business that I would like to use I am able to do that.
Ultimately if your choice, this is simple what I am saying.

A family member of mine, for example, has a much cherished car, the insurance company declared it a write off after a deer had an argument with it. However he used to work for a body shop and he requested that they assess the car, which they did, and they managed to complete the repair by lowering hourly rate etc.
Sometimes there are reasons why you might like to go somewhere you want, but most of the time for most people an authorised repairer will be ok. I just want to make it clear this is not mandatory. and which centres get the approved repairer status will be largely (not 100%) but largely down to monetary terms of that contract.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.