SEAT Ibiza Cupra vs. Vauxhall Corsa VXR Edition. Long Read.

Curcelli

I have been deciding whether to get a VW Polo GTI, Vauxhall Corsa VXR or SEAT Ibiza Cupra for a while now and am coming to a final conclusion finally.

Today for the first time I properly drove a Corsa VXR, a racing edition. So the verdict.

seat-ibiza-bocanegra.jpg

Well i'll start with my time with the two Cupra's I test drove. I had no idea what a Cupra was just two months ago. While at SEAT garage testing a car for my sister the salesman and I got talking and I said I like the VXR etc.. he said he had a car similar to a VXR in the back i'd love so at this point i'm all ears:)

Long story short it came to me test driving the Ibiza Cupra. My initial reaction was "what the FUC*" when I planted my right foot and I just grinned. After the thirty minute test drive I was impressed to say the least and it met the approval of my good lady which is always valued:D

Couple of weeks back I test drove my second Cupra and was just blown away again at everything, the power, the comfort, the acceleration etc...

Insurance for Cupra... £1700!!!

vauxha11.jpg

Now on to today and the Corsa VXR. I have been vocal so far when I say the Corsa VXR is leagues ahead in the looks department, and my verdict still stands.

Now the drive, first my dad started the test drive and was emotionless, later telling me he hated the Corsa VXR and love the Cupra. So I then jumped in.

I do love the feel of the VXR's and the gear changes are great. Slammed my foot down in second and the torque was awesome, the car really motored, up to third, fourth, fifth and then sixth and was just gliding on the dual carriageway. However what was a let down was the fact that unless in first, second or third the Corsa is a pig and feels like an old diesel.The Cupra delivers power through all gears.

It did have some cool gadgets though and is a lovely place to be, especially with the heated leather Recaro's which are any enthusiasts dream. Now I took it through town to see it's calm driving, very good, smooth and extremely torque-y and easy to blast.

So back to the garage and time for me to reflect. Both cars have their ups and downs but two genuinely fun and fast cars.

Insurance for Corsa VXR... £4224 lol

So to best compare the two i'm gonna do a chart and rate them 1-10 to compare.

SEAT Ibiza Cupra
Looks exterior: 6/10
Looks interior: 7/10
Acceleration: 9/10
Handling: 8/10
Comfort: 8/10
Drive: 8/10
Fun Factor: 10/10
Insurance: 8/10 (£1700)
Overall: 64/80

Corsa VXR
Looks exterior: 10/10
Looks interior: 7/10
Acceleration: 6/10 (second and third are great but it falls in the higher gears)
Handling: 8/10
Comfort: 8/10
Drive: 8/10
Fun Factor: 7/10
Insurance: 1/10 (£4224)
Overall: 55/80

So as you can see they are very close but the Cupra just edges it despite it's lack of vanity. Also the Cupra is definately the quicker car. I haven't driven the Polo GTI so I can't comment on it yet.

Note* This is my personal opinion and how I felt, I love both cars and will without doubt own both in my life but for money reasons I can't get a VXR and the Cupra is a heck of little machine. Don't want to offend any enthusiasts with my post.

Edit. Changed my mind about picking a winner, as I feel this comparison has no direct winner and one is not necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
ok :/, to what do you base this on though, test drives can hardly give you a fun sense of how the car handles.

I went up against a corsa vxr nurb in my boca on a private track which we both knew quite well and it was very level tbh. the corsa out accelerated and pretty much out handled the boca but i was able to be braver in the corners I think. probably cause his was a 62 plate and only just got it lol.

Curcelli

ok :/, to what do you base this on though, test drives can hardly give you a fun sense of how the car handles.

I went up against a corsa vxr nurb in my boca on a private track which we both knew quite well and it was very level tbh. the corsa out accelerated and pretty much out handled the boca but i was able to be braver in the corners I think. probably cause his was a 62 plate and only just got it lol.
I'm basing this on pretty much every day ownership. The car will never be tracked or raced. The test drives told me enough of what I need to know.

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
Then I'm not sure I understand this post as everything is entirely subjective on your own individual taste :/

Also at £4k for a corsa, I have to ask how old are you? thats rediculous

Last edited:

Curcelli

Then I'm not sure I understand this post as everything is entirely subjective on your own individual taste :/

Also at £4k for a corsa, I have to ask how old are you? thats rediculous
That's why I put at the bottom this is based solely on my own opinion. I put it up for others to add their incite, personal feelings on the two or their experiences of the two. You know forum an all.

Also i'm 19.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
Yeah just posting my thoughts that the vxr as a performance car offers far more than the ibiza.

As a daily driver to have some fun with I chose the Ibiza.
Plus the corsa vxr looks horrid inside all shiny and such.

I just cant see why you would be wasting so much money at 19 on a car that in all seriousness you could use a bit more experience on the road to drive :/

Last edited:

ranu

May 25, 2011
Birmingham
Yeah just posting my thoughts that the vxr as a performance car offers far more than the ibiza.

As a daily driver to have some fun with I chose the Ibiza.
Plus the corsa vxr looks horrid inside all shiny and such.

I just cant see why you would be wasting so much money at 19 on a car that in all seriousness you could use a bit more experience on the road to drive :/

I don't think that's a fair comment as I got my boca when I was 18. All depends on the drivers driving, if his Gna b a boy racer ;) or just drive normally which is pretty pointless as its designed to have fun in.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49882

When I traded my last Boc in I had thought about the Corsa vxr Nuremberg edition. Then I remembered why I bought the Boc in the first place...it is so much cheaper to tax, insure and 'run' compared to similar performance cars in its class.

I quite like the look of the vxr, but there are other cars I would have above it ... Especially if you are buying new. Dont forget there is a new 1.6 turbo Clio Sport on the horizon in 2013 and new Pug 208 gti. I would think these will be priced very competitively and not much more than the Cupra.

At the end of the day, its your money, so make sure that whatever you buy you really like it and enjoy it.

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
What about the Skoda Fabia vRS then? Same engine/gearbox as the cupra but may be even cheaper to buy and insure... Like the thought you have put into this, so many of us just dive right in and even regret it later.
s

Deleted member 49882

What about the Skoda Fabia vRS then? Same engine/gearbox as the cupra but may be even cheaper to buy and insure... Like the thought you have put into this, so many of us just dive right in and even regret it later.
s

Have to say Sly, I agree with you on principle with this ... But there is just s'thing about vRS Fabia I can't warm to. It just looks awkward and wrong imo. I know it is a decent car, but I feel aesthetically it is a let down. Designers could have done so much better with the shell :(

Plus OP is 19yrs old, so imo Skoda is a NO...wont do his street cred any good at all ;)

Apr 28, 2012
gravesend
lol to be honest mate id get the cupra seat are great cars.. plus your insurance being 1700 is alot cheaper than the vxr adn you could proeprly afford that per month if not try adding someone to your policy to help being it down a little i have a 1.6tdi ibiza and im paying 950 per month on a multicar poliy

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
Have to say Sly, I agree with you on principle with this ... But there is just s'thing about vRS Fabia I can't warm to. It just looks awkward and wrong imo. I know it is a decent car, but I feel aesthetically it is a let down. Designers could have done so much better with the shell :(

Plus OP is 19yrs old, so imo Skoda is a NO...wont do his street cred any good at all ;)

I felt the same, Skoda looked tall. Dont agree with you on the Skoda brand tho, esp as i have traded the boc on a new octavia vrs blackline. Then again i am 43 lol

Deleted member 49882

Ha ha, I know you did. I know Skoda brand is fine, but honestly feel it is a brand aimed at an older audience. Incidentally, the vRS Octavias look like a cracking car. When i was 19, i bought a Volvo 340gl ... Which would probably be akin to OP buying a Skoda today ... My mates gave me such a hard time lol. I think he should get the Cupra / Boc ... It is a cool car with some modifications and is more of a head-tuner than vRS Fabia imo. However, with other new hot-hatches on horizon, i would hold fire for a couple of months if i could and check them out first.

Seal_LCR

Jun 4, 2012
Redditch
lol to be honest mate id get the cupra seat are great cars.. plus your insurance being 1700 is alot cheaper than the vxr adn you could proeprly afford that per month if not try adding someone to your policy to help being it down a little i have a 1.6tdi ibiza and im paying 950 per month on a multicar poliy

I hope that is 950 a year or you're getting ripped off!

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
Ha ha, I know you did. I know Skoda brand is fine, but honestly feel it is a brand aimed at an older audience. Incidentally, the vRS Octavias look like a cracking car. When i was 19, i bought a Volvo 340gl ... Which would probably be akin to OP buying a Skoda today ... My mates gave me such a hard time lol. I think he should get the Cupra / Boc ... It is a cool car with some modifications and is more of a head-tuner than vRS Fabia imo. However, with other new hot-hatches on horizon, i would hold fire for a couple of months if i could and check them out first.

Totally agree... Hold off. Especially now winter is almost upon us. ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.