May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Hi All,

I've got the following in my Cupra:

Alpine CDE-9882Ri Head Unit
Components powered from head unit
JL Audio W3 Sub
JL Audio monoblock amp

My question is how is best to setup the sound?

I'm trying to control the sub via headunit but I dont know how to remove some of the BASS from the components due to the installation of the Sub!

Any help appreciated...

stevei'D

Jul 22, 2008
As for getting the best sound out of a system, i'd say trial and error, plus everyones taste is different. Use a couple of good music tracks that you enjoy and vary in style.

Use your head unit to set your bass and treble controls to zero and set your amp to nominal gain and start from here.

Your head unit has 3pre outs, one of which is dedicated for the sub. I have not used or seen this head unit in the flesh but it appears to have a rotary volume. So push this 3 times and you should come up with the sub gain control on the head unit (usually after toggling through bass and treble), providing the amp is connected to the dedicated sub out this should increase and decrease the amount of bass you get from your sub in simple terms.

Now go back to your treble and bass controls on your head unit which will control the frequency put through your components (and i assume your rear speakers-if fitted) and adjust accordingly to taste. I would imagine your bass setting will remain at zero as this is what your sub is for.

Its worth getting your components connected to an amplifier as you won't be getting the best out of them running from the head unit, they will distort as soon as you start driving the internal alpine amplifier hard. With them amplified you'll gain more volume to match your sub.

Hope this is some form of help
Steve

stevei'D

Jul 22, 2008
Just seen your other post in MK1 section.

To start with turn amp gain to minimum and all bass and treble setting so zero. Turn the head unit to a comfortable volume lets say 5-7 on the dial. Now increase you gain on the amp to match the volume you have from your head unit. Then adjust your bass and treble settings for your compentnts on the head unit. Now turn your volume up to a decent level (not the maximum your ears can cope with). Adjust what you want, use the roatry volume to adjust the sub if you feel you need a bit more, or go back to your gain and turn that up a little more. Ideally you don't want your amp gain much more than nominal this way your not driving the amp really hard from the word go.

Have a play

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
I'd go a different way.

Turn the amp gain to zero.

Turn the headunit fade/balance/bass/treble/sub etc controls to zero.

Play a favourite song.

Bit by bit turn the Headunit up to the loudest you'd ever have it. (give it time for your ears to adjust/componenets to bed in a bit etc)

Now turn the amp gain up til the bass is at the right level for you.

Turn the headunit down to a reasonable listening level and tweak the sound fade balance.
Depending on the EQ on the HU you may want to drop a bit of bass from the components to let them concentrate on the midrange and treble.

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Cheers guys will give it a whirl later... got some good advice from JL Audio about setting the amplifier up as well using an AC voltmeter.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members