Shall I tell the 'petrol heads' or shall you

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
why do derv heads always take the hump, petrol fellas just roll with it, stigmas dont go away over night, people need to accept that.

S14A

Oct 24, 2005
South Wales
Your totally right mate....I was a complete Petrol head and would have never considered a Diesel!!!.........Until I found and test drove my Tuned TDI....completley turned me the other way! There are sooo many advantages over a petrol but Petrol heads will not accept it because they do not realise how good these TDI's are until they drive one or are beaten by one the stigma of Diesel is **** is now a myth......exactly like SKODA at the moment superb cars but people still think they are pants from back years ago!

alock

May 3, 2004
S14A said:
TDI Cons - Sound and a little smoke Hmmm

You missed a few...

Small usable rev range results in uneven acceleration as you come in and out of the power band as you change gear.

Almost dangerous first gear makes it very difficult joining fast moving traffic.

The increased torque is offset by higher gearing resulting in very similar response when at a typical cruising speed in a typical gear.

(and before you ask, my wife has a new VAG 2.0TDI)

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
alock said:
You missed a few...

Small usable rev range results in uneven acceleration as you come in and out of the power band as you change gear.

The increased torque is offset by higher gearing resulting in very similar response when at a typical cruising speed in a typical gear.

My Cupra TDi did have a hole in the power band as you mention but this was cured when I had the car revo'd a week after I bought it..
The revo makes the engine rev higher thus increasing the power band and ensuring when you change gear you don't drop out of it.
As for the dangerous first gear I can't really comment on that other than to say that I change in to second ASAP as second gear gives me more than enough acceleration to pull into fast moving traffic...

gearing....I can drive my diesel two ways..either by redlining it and getting max acceleration or by using long gears and revs from 2500 up..
There is not a great deal of difference between the acceleration felt either way allthough redlining through the gears is quicker.

Ironically the place the diesel suits me best is on a cross country blast using just third and fourth gears over challenging bendy roads where the torque really does come into its own....easily the equivalent of any previous cars I have had..

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
mark sheerin said:
There is not a great deal of difference between the acceleration felt either way allthough redlining through the gears is quicker.

You reckon thats right mark? I was thinking about that last night on the M25. Gradual acceleration in 6th at 80 (for the sake of this discussion :whistle:) was just as quick as if I dropped it to 5th (i think), and dropping to 4th and using the power till 5000rpm ish just seemed slow, although produced impressive amounts of soot.
I couldnt floor it in 6th as im running revo, and my clutch would not like it one bit! But with an uprated clutch ;), would flooring it in 6th using peak torque be quicker than dropping it to 5th? Or does it just feel like that??
Oh an I appologise to the 20VT cupra i met last night!

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
basstard said:
no, jim, he's rite imho,,, my car really doesn't have a 1st gear,,, it is really toooooo short,,,

Pulls to about 30 ish doesnt it. What would you prefer, to pull out in a 1.1 metro, or a diesel with a short 1st gear?

Its not dangerous as long as your aware of it.

S14A

Oct 24, 2005
South Wales
Id agree 1st gear is hardly usable its just wheelspin and then your out of revs ! but when you have 500 nm torque pulling off in second quickly isnt a problem!

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
S14A said:
Id agree 1st gear is hardly usable its just wheelspin and then your out of revs ! but when you have 500 nm torque pulling off in second quickly isnt a problem!

;) But what about when 2nd gear just wheelspins as well? I've had that too, front wheels doing about 50mph, car doing about 10...

S14A

Oct 24, 2005
South Wales
Ease the power in from second gear mate no spin then and great traction...its easier to controll in second but not good for the clutch!

Nyteshade

Is it dark yet?
Feb 1, 2005
Satan's Layby
*Nyte puts her head above the parapet for a second*

When I was taught to drive all those years ago, my instructor made sure that I only ever used first gear for the shortest possible time and to get up through the gears asap.

So while yeah first gear is quite short..... it's not a prob cos it's only really used for parking anyways...... :shrug:

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
DIFT said:
You reckon thats right mark? I was thinking about that last night on the M25. Gradual acceleration in 6th at 80 (for the sake of this discussion :whistle:) was just as quick as if I dropped it to 5th (i think), and dropping to 4th and using the power till 5000rpm ish just seemed slow, although produced impressive amounts of soot.
I couldnt floor it in 6th as im running revo, and my clutch would not like it one bit! But with an uprated clutch ;), would flooring it in 6th using peak torque be quicker than dropping it to 5th? Or does it just feel like that??
Oh an I appologise to the 20VT cupra i met last night!

A look through autocars in gear acceleration times even for diesels will allways reveal that in gear acceleration is allways quicker between 50-70 30-50 etc in the lowest gear available..because of the effect of the gearing...just like on a pushbike .. try riding steady next to your mate and then sprinting suddenly when you are in top gear and he is in lower gears..he will have to change up gears as his legs run out of rpm and you may well both eventually reach exactly the same speed as he reach top gear but how do you pull back the initial start where you had to overcome your inertia and he pulled away from you initially.
It may feel quick or roughly the same on a motorway but try driving in top gear on a twisty road and you will feel how sluggish it is compared to pulling through third and fourth....
sixth or fifth gear faster than petrol cars undoubtably but ultimate speed using all revs..this is where the petrol will win due to the gearing...

Nyteshade

Is it dark yet?
Feb 1, 2005
Satan's Layby
mark sheerin said:
A look through autocars in gear acceleration times even for diesels will allways reveal that in gear acceleration is allways quicker between 50-70 30-50 etc in the lowest gear available..because of the effect of the gearing...just like on a pushbike .. try riding steady next to your mate and then sprinting suddenly when you are in top gear and he is in lower gears..he will have to change up gears as his legs run out of rpm and you may well both eventually reach exactly the same speed as he reach top gear but how do you pull back the initial start where you had to overcome your inertia and he pulled away from you initially.
It may feel quick or roughly the same on a motorway but try driving in top gear on a twisty road and you will feel how sluggish it is compared to pulling through third and fourth....
sixth or fifth gear faster than petrol cars undoubtably but ultimate speed using all revs..this is where the petrol will win due to the gearing...
I definately need practical demonstration. Some things do not enter the brain otherwise.