Shane's Cupra K1 - Revo Stage 2

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
Eeeerrmmmm...... Fancy donating em for the day? Hahaha

What's needed?

you need a special pair of grips to get the spring clip off, you can't do it with standard tools!

Replacement not a problem as you can use jubilee clips and point the connector easily to tighten / remove.

If you have any mechanic mates borrow one rather than buy

K1Shane

336bhp 319 lb/ft
Apr 17, 2010
Northfleet
you need a special pair of grips to get the spring clip off, you can't do it with standard tools!

Replacement not a problem as you can use jubilee clips and point the connector easily to tighten / remove.

Ah I see. Is it one of them ones that you have to squeeze and then wriggle off?

I'll pinch some from a fitter at work lol

Poverty

I used just a pair of grips, but it made it extremely difficult. The right tools would make it easy.

Id offer to give you a hand shane but im gonna be in work :(

K1Shane

336bhp 319 lb/ft
Apr 17, 2010
Northfleet
I now have my Neuspeed kit all fitted and well!

My opinion so far:
* fitting was fairly straightforward. I did a few steps the other way round to the guide but otherwise a clear fitting guide :)
*managed to get away with using mole grips for the hose clamp on the turbo inlet and dv pipes. Wasn't as bad as I had planned it to be lol
* engine cover is a pig to remove. But! As mine was already off of 2 mounts it werent too bad. Worst offender was bottom left side
* the kit looks well made and quite light as mentioned before. My only concerns are: it has a lot of wiggle. But I assume this is to cope with the engine moving.
* now running without engine cover. It makes you realise just how noisy these cars are! And just how much they sound like a diesel!
* the neuspeed has quite drastically changed my engine. The throttle response is phenomenal now! It also pulls a lot harder throughout the entire rev range. And when you come off boost, then reapply throttle the response is instant as opposed to the small delay I had before
* the 'flat spot/2nd boost' problem I had before has become less noticeable now. So maybe this is part of the problem?
*not an awful lot of 'induction' noise. More noise from turbo spooling though (see below). Not too sure but it does sound like my exhaust note has become a little deeper :)

Bad points: Inside the cabin, it sounds like darth vader is sat beside me! In fact its like darth vader with asthma! And that's when I'm off boost!
*when on boost, the turbo is extremely noticeable from inside and I imagine outside. It's almost ear piercing!
* I'm now getting a LOT of turbo chatter. Sounds like an old group b rally car!
*the noise is very loud and is audible over the stereo turned up to 10. Which is fairly loud tbh
*can't make too much comments on fuel comsumption figures. But going by tonite I'm certain I'll be losing a few mpg as it's now just a pleasure to put my foot down.
* the main gripe is that every now and then, when I come downfrom a higher speed to say a junction (ie nearly stopped) the engine struggles to find the idle point. The revs drop down to as low as 500 and then it sorts itself out. It basically recovers from an almost stalling situation. Never did this before so I believe it's linked to the kit. Anyone with suggestions?

Overall I'm extremely happy with it. I'm gonna see if I can live with the darth vader thing. It gets a little tedious when you just want to take it gently around the town for instance. But we'll see how it goes

Next mod I think is defo gonna be a Revo stage 1 map
I'm also gonna have a look at the fuel pump follower tomorrow as this is a good chance to get at it now I have no plastic in my way.

Pics of induction kit and follower tomorrow. I'm now off to bed!

Night!

Last edited:

Poverty

Once your ecu adapts to the extra air it it hopefully stop doing the whole nearly stalling thing.

K1Shane

336bhp 319 lb/ft
Apr 17, 2010
Northfleet
26027a35.jpg

8ae38ce7.jpg

Few pics. Now to wash!

K1Shane

336bhp 319 lb/ft
Apr 17, 2010
Northfleet
Once your ecu adapts to the extra air it it hopefully stop doing the whole nearly stalling thing.

Wierdly i'm still getting this. If I brake quite sharply from a relatively high speed (70mph) and dip the clutch early. The revs will drop to as little as 500rpm, then it kinda works out its gonna stall and increases till idle. Earlier on, I was out of gear rolling down a steep hill (blackheath hill actually, jason will know where i'm talking about lol) and it was proper 'hunting' for the idle????

Not sure if the ecu is still adapting but its had a good 500miles to get used to it so far. Am leaving this for a few more miles before I make the descision to take her to stealers. But that means I have to put it all back to standard etc etc and I really really just cant be arsed!! It does need to go in soon as there are a few things to be sorted. I've posted these thing in an earlier page. So we'll see how I get on lol

Last edited:

K1Shane

336bhp 319 lb/ft
Apr 17, 2010
Northfleet
Got some new headlights today. I only replaced the H7 dipped beam and H1 Main beam. Am pleased with the results. The light is a lot more white, with hardly any blue tinge to it. The light is around 30% brighter too which is nice as the roads round here dont have a lot of streetlights.

I've bought bulbs from this guy before and none have ever let me down so i'm pleased he's come up trumps again for me. All bulbs are road legal 55W and e-stamped. I'll be getting the sidelights replaced with LED ones along with rear numberplate bulbs. Then also my foglights with brighter whiter ones.

Total cost for the 2 sets i have today was £13 inc delivery :)

New bulbs on left, old yellow ones on right:
1fb81bae.jpg

Camera is poo but you can sort of see how much whiter the light is:
6046d1cc.jpg

my level lights lol
c049570b.jpg

You can still see the yellowish sidelights, in the second pic and also in last pic to the edges. Also when I was sat behind a bus earlier it was really noticable. So hopefully i'll get my sidelight & rear numberplate LEDS, along with uprated foggies soon and it'll all be evenly coloured. I also need VCDS to turn off the 'cold reading' function so I dont get any warnings when the LEDS go in

(perhaps you can test your new cable out pov *wink wink*)

Last edited:

K1Shane

336bhp 319 lb/ft
Apr 17, 2010
Northfleet
So far my list of problems:
Rattling - cant pinpoint exactly where its coming from, but it sounds like from behind the dash/lower part of centre console/under handbrake. Open the door and it sounds like its coming from the centre part of the exhaust. Problem is, its only there once warmed up, and its not there every day. Its also only rattling when at idle.
Head tecchie came and looked at it the other day, so hopefully he'll know what the problem is (every other time its been put it in the garage, they can never replicate the sound. So when it happened again, I happened to be round the corner from service dept, so I made them come and listen lol)

* Think I may have found the cause of this. Only due to a thread I read the other day. Theory is yet to be fully tested though. I believe there is a lot of crevices that stones can get into and when at idle, cause them to rattle. The carpark where I live is full of small stones/gravel and I'm sure that even though not exceeding 10mph (not wanting to cause undue stone chips) the stones are getting lodged somewhere. The reason I've come to this conclusion is due to the obvious place where I park, but also I only get the rattle every now and then and its only audiable at idle. I'll keep an eye out, but i'm sure this is the cause lol

Starting to have trouble getting into 1st gear - Only noticed in the last few days. If i'm sitting at lights, I sometimes have real trouble getting into 1st. Normally this can be cured by releasing the clutch then re-applying. But that doesn't always work :(

* I'm no longer (touch wood) getting this problem, so i'm assuming it was just where the temp was so cold and the gearbox fluid was not fully warmed up?

Slight hesitiation/flat spot at around 3-4.5k revs Only noticed the flat spot the other day. It has the feeling of a 'double boost' ie I feel the turbo coming on boost, then it gets to around 5k and i feel it come on boost again lol It never used to do this. Looking back at some very old threads, i've noticed 1 or 2 people saying the 'Cam Variator' can be the cause of such an issue. So I want to take it in and see what they think. This 'cam variator' is apparantly also possibly the reason why these engines sound like diesels on tickover??

Also while its in I want them to check the cam follower on the fuel pump. Am still a little unsure if my engine is actually affected or not But regardless I want it checked to be 100% sure.
I think I have solved this now I have the Neuspeed fitted. It is still very marginally there, but it seems to have vanished :)

See next quote

Wierdly i'm still getting this. If I brake quite sharply from a relatively high speed (70mph) and dip the clutch early. The revs will drop to as little as 500rpm, then it kinda works out its gonna stall and increases till idle. Earlier on, I was out of gear rolling down a steep hill (blackheath hill actually, jason will know where i'm talking about lol) and it was proper 'hunting' for the idle????

Not sure if the ecu is still adapting but its had a good 500miles to get used to it so far. Am leaving this for a few more miles before I make the descision to take her to stealers. But that means I have to put it all back to standard etc etc and I really really just cant be arsed!! It does need to go in soon as there are a few things to be sorted. I've posted these thing in an earlier page. So we'll see how I get on lol

I am still getting this sometimes. Starting to wonder is something seriously up or not. DanGB has scanned it on VAG-COM and there were no fault codes. But it would be nice to log it a few times and see at the point where it looks ready to stall what is actually happening. Car seems to drop revs to as low as 500rpm. Then the ECU works out it's about to stall, and it then finds the idle. It has stalled due to this once but that hasn't re-occurred since. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I'm thinking could it be a blocked MAF?

Last edited:

K1Shane

336bhp 319 lb/ft
Apr 17, 2010
Northfleet
Been out with Jason (Poverty) this afternoon doing some logs on the car. Some interesting results, Will get the logs up here soon. Seem to be getting a lot of ignition retarding and a lot of fuel dumped to cool the exhaust. Not fully up to speed on how to read/assess the logs so will let people make their own dignosis lol although apparently it may appear that my car already has a remap on it????

Thanks to Jase and also Al (djhorace) for the help and wise words

I've aquired a Revision D Diverter valve, which I (me & Jason) fitted earlier, all I can say is that yet again the car is pulling harder and really holding the boost all the way round the rev band. This should be an essential mod for anyone with this engine. Amazing what such a small part can do to the performance.

I also aquired some caliper clips which I'm still deciding what to do with:
b10aa3e9.jpg

The TT-RS and K1:
bb0fdae6.jpg

Allow me to assure you that 440 BHP feels amazing. And the miltek sounds f*cking sweeeeeeeeeeeet! :D

Last edited:

K1Shane

336bhp 319 lb/ft
Apr 17, 2010
Northfleet
Time stamp/Engine speed(rpm)/Intake air mass (g's)/Engine Load (%)/Misfire count

215.67-----/3680-----------------/109.36------------------/136.1---------------/0
216.45-----/4120-----------------/119.67------------------/136.1---------------/0
217.21-----/4560-----------------/152.61------------------/26.3----------------/0
218.01-----/3640-----------------/24.39--------------------/16.5----------------/0
218.77-----/2680-----------------/18.53--------------------/16.5----------------/0
219.55-----/1800-----------------/4.22---------------------/19.5----------------/0
220.32-----/1080-----------------/6.89---------------------/26.3----------------/0
221.1-----/480--------------/3.97-----------------/34.6------------/0
221.86-----/1040-----------------/5.5-----------------------/21.8----------------/0
222.65-----/1440-----------------/5.08---------------------/15-------------------/0
223.42-----/1320-----------------/4.36---------------------/15.8----------------/0
224.22-----/1080-----------------/3.75---------------------/20.3----------------/0
224.98-----/1120-----------------/11.53--------------------/49.6----------------/0
225.78-----/1120-----------------/14.61--------------------/60.9----------------/0
226.54-----/1280-----------------/16.36--------------------/55.6----------------/0

This is a small section from the 1st log. I've highlighted the bit where the engine drops the revs and then finds the idle again. This is coming down from high revs to standstill

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.