Shifter Issue

fliptron

hi there,

I'm new to this club and new to Seat ownership! i picked up my mk2 gti 8v last night, chuffed to bits with it! its a great car! the only thing i have an issue with is that the shifter is lose!

I've tightened the gear knob and it still is lose, could someone point me in the right direction on what it could be? maybe a loose bolt/nut?

Cheers in advance guy!;)

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
got a similar problem with mine, engine change and i have no 2nd gear due to where the shifter bar is not centered, open bonnet look at gear shifter and tighten the bolt where the bar meets the plate and it should be good.

fliptron

Cheers buddy, im gonna give it a go on saturday! provided i'm not too hungover lol!

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
before you start should have asked if the gear tick wobbles alot in any gear if so then that is the solution, if not then i have not a clue hwo to fix it lol

fliptron

yea, it wobbles in every gear! sounds like its worth a go! nothing to lose!

fliptron

Linkage bushes and the ball at the base of the stick?

Hi mate, how easy is this to do or is it more of a job for the professionals?

I'm ok with simple DIY but i wouldnt want to start something that needs a mechanic to do!

Cheers in advance

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
Not a massive job IIRC - have a look on interweb for a "how to", i've not looked at an Ibiza gear linkage in detail in a while, but the operation and hence workings of the linkage are basically the same as mk1 and mk2 golfs which used the same 020 gearbox as a mk2 Ibiza 8v GTI so i'd guess rebushing would be much the same. I only mention it as you said that it wobbles in every gear, suggesting there's a bit of slop in the linkage.

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
My gear stick twists side to side when in neutral position but havnt had a look at it yet, like said probs ball worn or bushes. I take it this is common on the mk2's.