Smokey back end

THE BIG GAS MAN

Jan 2, 2006
BEITH
ronnie939 said:
HI,

We have a tdi sport 06 plate 2 months old and it seems really really smokey, there is a lot of smoke even when under 1/4 throttle.

Now I had the FR TDi and that was NEVER this bad...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ronnie

Had mine for 8 months and done 21000 miles, mine smokes quite hard when accelerating but okay the rest of the time. I am booked in for a service next week and will ask them to check as it also goes through quite a lot of oil (1l every 5000miles).

ronnie939

Thanks for the replys guys.

It's just sitting behind the car watching it pull away not very quickly it can smoke, As we have had it from new and she does look after her cars, I was a little worried that it was a bit too smokey from standard.:whistle:

To be fair it does pull really well and around town it more fun to drive than my Focus ST2.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
ronnie939 said:
Thanks for the replys guys.

It's just sitting behind the car watching it pull away not very quickly it can smoke, As we have had it from new and she does look after her cars, I was a little worried that it was a bit too smokey from standard.:whistle:

To be fair it does pull really well and around town it more fun to drive than my Focus ST2.
I find if you use supermarket fuels they tend to smoke a lot more than your Shell or BP ultimate type fuels. The smoke is also darker...Try using Shell Extra or BP Ultimate and see how it goes...

Triple D

I dont have a new leon, but i do have a very fast diesel ibiza. With the supermarket fuels, i found that it did smoke a hell of alot, under load and usually towards the top of the revs etc. Now the past 3 tanks i have sed texaco fuel and it still smokes under full load in 1st and 2nd but not as much as it used to. Try differnt fuels, and also try just giving it a blast through the rev range. may just be a build up of carbon if it doesnt get driven hard occasionally.

slo2mad

Motor Vehicle Technician
Mar 12, 2003
oxfordshire
Visit site
That explains everything. Just noticed mine has been quite smokey recently. I drove over 1000 miles in seven days and have used super market fuel for the journeys. I had to wash the car this evening as the bumper and reflector above the exhaust were sooty black.:( It's back to better fuel for me.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Yup definately the poor fuel I reckon...post us your results when you have put 2-3 tank full of good fuel.

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
if it's smoking under 1/4 throttle and standard i would say a little boost leak, (jubilee loose or socket connector) take to dealers ask them to have a look,
it's such a common thing,

thing i worry about on boost leaks under boost its throwing air out, but at no boost i.e under 1500rpm is it sucking dirty air in :(

when my cupra 160 was standard no visible black smoke under load.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.