smokey diesel on start up!

paul!h

hi there;

every time i start my car lately there has been a huge cloud of smoke behind the car!
it only happens on start up and stops as soon as it has started.

should i be worried? or is it just coz it is cold?
having it chipped on the 31st of march and dont want any problems before hand!!
does anyone else have this problem?

thanks, paul

paul!h

yes, but only when the car hasn't been used for a few hours, it then clears and runs fine!

TDIzeeland

I don't now how its called in englisch but there are spirals that preheat your engine if I can cal it that and I think that they are wore out you can verry simple replace them in holland will cost that aroud 75 euro's so let say 50 pounds

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
Glow plugs! mine oes the same white smelly smoke on cold start up?
need to investigate with dealer if its the glow plugs when i have time!

:confused: Do PDi engines have glow plugs???
my 2000 HDi peugeot hasn't, neither has my mum's TDCi Mondeo, nor my sister's volvo. No need for pre-heat, even on sub-zero mornings.
Just get in, turn key, ond off he goes, just like a petrol engine would

Leon the Diesel

Oct 26, 2001
Billericay, Essex
Visit site
They probably do have glow plugs.

Manufacturers have gotten quite clever these days. I believe that they get the glowplugs started by means of the switch that operates when you open the drivers door or by the drivers seatbelt sensor.

So you'd not notice it at all.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
Vicky M said:
:confused: Do PDi engines have glow plugs???
my 2000 HDi peugeot hasn't, neither has my mum's TDCi Mondeo, nor my sister's volvo. No need for pre-heat, even on sub-zero mornings.
Just get in, turn key, ond off he goes, just like a petrol engine would

yes they do, and so do all the ones you listed. As i explained in the muddyboots thread about smoke at start up, they arent needed in modern direct injection engines as much hence you dont notice them.

ANyway yes it could well be a duff glow plug causing the issue, they are cheap to replace.

WILLS

Mar 15, 2005
Have had the same prob on my bammer since nearly new has been to the dealer checked ok, no fault codes have tested the injectors on a bosch kts system all ok no miss fire.
Removed the injectors and found the seals perished replaced and refit all ok, just one quick question ur not useing bp diesel are you? i ask as have been testing a lot of diesel for water content at work recently and found bp has one of the highest amounts.

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Mine puffs out some white smoke on startup - always thought it was because I've had the stainless straight thru fitted, whereas before it would just get soaked up by the space in the middle silencer or the backbox? Now it just comes straight out.

Goes after about 10 seconds, if that - so I'm not worried.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members