strange turbo stutter?

rob1

IBIZA TDI CUPRA
Sep 14, 2004
WALES
i had my car remapped last year and after to 'ripping it up' i found my turbo bearing had practically died. not a problem thats what warrenties are for :yes4lo: . anyway i had the car set back to standard and turbo swapped out. now a few months down the line i notice that if i rev just above say 2200 rpm then drop off power, posible junction or sunday driver then put foot back down slowly then i get this strange stutter, according to something i read (prob the manual) the turbo is already spooled up so I dont get what the problem is? a mate said it 'could' be the ecg valve as sometimes it gets 'coked up with ****'

anyone know what the problem is likely to be ? i got my 50k service in a few weeks and could raise the query, but obviously dont want to cause any suspicions ??:eek:o7dt:

rob1

IBIZA TDI CUPRA
Sep 14, 2004
WALES
that post is difficult to understand, but from my experience with my strange turbo stutter back when i got my car it was a fault EGR control valve so yes your problem could indeed be related to the EGR as mentioned by your friend.

what engine do you have?

i have the 1.9 TDI 160 cupra, my mate said its just a matter of spraying it all with some carb cleaner. any ideas if this is correct and where and how hard is this EGR valve to find on the engine?

is there anything else i need to check? ive also been advised that it could be BLT stutter, what is this??

sssstew

Editing your spelling
i have the 1.9 TDI 160 cupra, my mate said its just a matter of spraying it all with some carb cleaner. any ideas if this is correct and where and how hard is this EGR valve to find on the engine?

is there anything else i need to check? ive also been advised that it could be BLT stutter, what is this??

the EGR valve is under the big silver cap you can see at the top left of the engine itself. Yes you can clean it up with carb cleaner.

never heard of BLT stutter.

Cubix

I had this problem too on my passat for a long time way before i got into remapping cars. I talked to my HQ about it and it turned out to be the Torque limiter setting on that particular map. A few tweeks and the car does not do it anymore. My advice wouldbe to get the car custom mapped again and it should iron out whatever has caused it.

I was also told before that it was the dual mass flywheel but i am not convinced of this theory. Hope this helps.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Can the egr be switched off via the vag com or is there another way of doing it?:shrug:
The EGR function can be reduced with vag-com, but not switched off completely. To do that would require some physical modifications.
On earlier PD130s it's a simple case of blocking the vacuum tube that operates the valve. I believe later engines are more sophisticated and throw errors though....

rob1

IBIZA TDI CUPRA
Sep 14, 2004
WALES
I have recently tried taking off the small tube on top of the EGR valve after my mate with a mk4 golf tried it and told me his car is much smoother, has better fuel economy and respond much better. blocked it up with a small screw driver bit, all seemed to work fine for a while and I will admit that it did feel much smoother within the rev range, but after an hour or so i noticed the engine managment light came on and i dont know if there is a risk of damaging my engine as mine is a PD160 ibiza and my mates is a 110 tdi.

Due to the cramped space within the ibiza bonnet Ive been advised that it would be a right pain in the a$$ to clean out the EGR valve and it would probably just be better to block it up if possible. I've been told its only there for the environment and doesnt actually do anything else thats beneficial to the car ?? any one confirm this?

Also if i just ignore the engine management light is it going to risk taking my car into limp mode or anything else? am i able to disable this feature with vag com or stop this light appearing?

my car is a 54 plate seat ibiza cupra pd160

sssstew

Editing your spelling
correct on the older generation tdis you can do do this without it throwing a code but in later ones it does. The only other option you have is to turn it down to the minimum with VAG COM or get the valve removed.

Turning it down means it produces more NOx when cold so yes it is only there for the environment, as many of us have done you can reduce or remove it.

rob1

IBIZA TDI CUPRA
Sep 14, 2004
WALES
correct on the older generation tdis you can do do this without it throwing a code but in later ones it does. The only other option you have is to turn it down to the minimum with VAG COM or get the valve removed.

Turning it down means it produces more NOx when cold so yes it is only there for the environment, as many of us have done you can reduce or remove it.

what happens if i just allow the light to come on, is there a risk of it putting the car in limp mode or anything - i do not have a problem with ignoring the light!

otherwise i would like to go for the initial option of setting it to the limit, anyone know if its just a simple option in vag com? i havent had a chance to fully play with the kit yet and can honestly say im scared of doing to much as i dont really know alot about inner workings of cars!

I assume when you say remove it you mean the entire EGR valve? how would I go about doing this without still producing the exisiting fault codes that I am getting? what would exactly be involved, is it as simple as putting another pipe in its place?

my car is nearing 3 yr old now and with the issue of MOT on the horizon is it just a matter of getting someone you know to pass/ignore the fact that its missing the EGR and possible bad emisions, or does it not register as a problem with their tools?

sssstew

Editing your spelling
On the later ones you cant crank it back with vag com either, check my post in the TDI FAQ about it. SO that might not even work for you. Theres loads of information in here about removing the EGR valve have a search back through as others have done it, theres a company that produce a replacement section.

Driving with the light on shouldnt cause any probs if its only EGR.

rob1

IBIZA TDI CUPRA
Sep 14, 2004
WALES
excellent sounds like i will initially go with the block the pipe up for now then see about sorting out the EGR with a good clean at a later date.

sorry for asking a stupid question, but how will a replacement pipe in place of the EGR valve solve the issue where the engine management light will come on if the small pipe is blocked/disconnected. Wont the car still know from the maf/ecu that something isnt right?