TDI 2.0 Stuttering and hesitation at 3000 ish RPM - What next?

shaunfriend

Feb 25, 2008
Devon
Hi Guys,

Posted about the above problem I was having quite a while ago and thought it was now okay but the issue has come back.

Issue is - motorway speeds - power down to overtake, car drops a gear to 5th (its DSG) and as revs increase towards 3K the car feels hesitant. power seems to be going off and on - all the time the power is still pulling bit there are dips in the power.

So far its had new fuel filter, new fuel temp sensor, new MAF and I have cleaned EGR.

The problem is still there - and I just don't know what to check next.

The problem is worse in really cold weather. Its been 10deg today and the problem isn't anywhere near as bad.

Anyone able to throw some ideas into the pot for me to check? I'm getting bored of throwing money at the car and am at a point where I'm nearly thinking of getting rid.

Could it be boost related? - is there any way to check?

Cheers

Shaun

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
If it's not the FR then it won't have a DPF :)
To me it sounds like the MAF which you have already have had changed, possibly the turbo?
Are you sure it doesnt do it on normal roads i.e when you overtake?

Danny.

shaunfriend

Feb 25, 2008
Devon
I should have been clearer :) its the 140 so no DPF.

I notice it generally at high speed - 4th/5th at 3000ish RPM.

All of you with TDIs will know what sort of speeds I am talking about - and this is part of the reason its proving diffuclt to troubleshoot.

Its been on Bosch diagnostics - and has no errors showing at ECU.

I thought it might be somewhere on the drive originally but I should presumably feel the problem all of the time?

I'm just at a loss...

FR_Flavoured

How many miles she done ?

Maybe worth running a bottle of Millers Diesel power sport+ through her, just to clear any deposits up.

Do owners find this additive every now and then to actually improve efficiency of their engines/or even performance? - especially on a car that might not be more than a couple of years old ?

If it does have benefits, then I might look to drop a bottle in myself! :D

shaunfriend

Feb 25, 2008
Devon
She's done 72K. Problem started about 13K ago agter a service. Garage found no fault and the problem slowly goes away as we near next service.

Was serviced 2K ago and problem came back big time / but so did the really cold weather.

Had been running Millers until the problem occured and wondered if it had dislodged something and it was stuck in the injectors??

I have Vag-Com if there's anything worth checking...

Thanks for everyones suggestions so far

shaunfriend

Feb 25, 2008
Devon

You will have to excuse my ignorance but what is this... I had wondered if it was a boost leak as its around about the area when things are really being pushed.

How can I check for a boost leak - is this requested/Actual somewhere in VAGCOM? if so where etc..

Thanks

Last edited:

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
You will have to excuse my ignorance but what is this... I had wondered if it was a boost leak as its around about the area when things are really being pushed.

How can I check for a boost leak - is this requested/Actual somewhere in VAGCOM? if so where etc..

Thanks

Its one of the measuring blocks on the engine area. Not hard to find by exploration. Graphing should work nicely.

AUTO EMOTION

Rmvb 115 (boost pressure adjustmen for petrol). for diesels you should lock at rmvb 011 also would advice to check rmvb 008 torq limitation do the log from rmvb 003,008,011 at 3rd gear full trotlle from 2000rpm to 4000rpm and post it.

Last edited by a moderator:

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Exactly same as mine - happens now and again but never seems to when I get it to the garage!
It's been on the diagnostics many times but the only thing they can say is the DPF Pressure Sensor is nearing its tolerance limits and may need that replacing (but the EGR is also!).
I've has a new MAF fitted but it doesn't fix it.

BUT - If you unplug the MAF briefly when it is doing it then take it for a quick drive I bet it will work fine - mines does!

Scby555

Oct 29, 2004
anyone find the REAL problem behind this?
mine does the same - stutters above 3K rpm.

Loads worse when cold - starts at 2800 and stutters like mad, sometimes cant even rev to 4000. When its really really warmed up it almost goes away, the stutter is hardly noticeable but the car is still down on performance all of the time.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise