Technology used for heating

Feb 15, 2024
Hello,

I wanted to know how the heating works.
Is it a heat pump like in some electric cars or simply a resistor that consumes a lot of energy?

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
As far as I know the PHEV uses a PTC heating element for the job you were asking about.
Also, the air conditioning compressor being an electric one, it may also be used as a heat pump, but I don't know how exactly it is conditioned (via software) to kick-in, if ever...

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
As far as I know the PHEV uses a PTC heating element for the job you were asking about.
Also, the air conditioning compressor being an electric one, it may also be used as a heat pump, but I don't know how exactly it is conditioned (via software) to kick-in, if ever...
Although they use an electric AC compressor (which is a heat pump!) - it is only used for cooling. :mad:
All it needs is a reversing valve but frustratingly OEMs don't often include this simple/cheap valve to enable heating!

Reactions: CupForm

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
Ok, so you're saying you know for sure that the only heatig in EV mode is that PTC element?
I've never dug too deep into the topic, since I'm quite happy with what the car was able to deliver in terms of heating in EV mode, even at negative temperatures (C, not F :giggle: )

Last edited:

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Correct - the Formentor PHEV does not use a heat pump for heating. Uses high voltage PTC heater.
It does use the AC heatpump via a heat exchanger for HV battery cooling.

1708704014964.png

Attachments

• 1708703991694.png
    1708703991694.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: CupForm
Feb 15, 2024
Okay it's like my 308.
The problem if you want to drive fully electric, the heating consumes too much electricity.
This is common to all PHEVs or electric cars.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Okay it's like my 308.
The problem if you want to drive fully electric, the heating consumes too much electricity.
This is common to all PHEVs or electric cars.
I think the Prius uses a heatpump for cabin heating.
All EV's should have one - and the fact they all have an electric AC compressor means they already have the expensive part - a reversing valve is simple and cheap, frustrating its not standard - or that some charge £1k+ extra is disgusting!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.