The official Fan Washer Upgrade Guide.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
As promised in this thread http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=112523 i've upgraded my Poor standard leon washers to the better fan type washers more commonly found on the VW Golf.
So heres a quick guide with some do's and don'ts.
Equipment
Phillips head screw driver.
Flat head screw driver (small).
Small File.
Small Sharp cutting tool.
13mm Socket.
I used tape in this, but its optional.

Firstly pop the bonnet and open it fully.
Using the small flat head screw driver, prise the caps off the wiper base.
Use the 13mm socket to loosen the nut holding the wipers on, and carefully remove them. They can be fiddly to remove, so when the nut is off, try moving the blade across the screen in a wiping action, they should go loose and allow you to lift them off. (Daves TOP TIP: Put the wipers down in an order you can remember in order to put them back on the correct side).
Next step is to remove the seal along the scuttle panel. This comes off easily.
Now using the phillips head screw driver remove the cover for the pollen filter. This is in the top right corner. (Daves TOP TIP: Now is a good time to check your pollen filter and bang out any debris.)
Now to remove the scuttle panel, or water deflector as it's also known. This is easier than expected and no tools are required. Starting in one corner, lift the panel upwards and move along. The panel only clicks into place, so it clicks out when removed. REMEMBER, don't lift the panel up too high as the washer pipes are still conected.
Turn it over and carefully unclip the hose. I found it best to disconnect the pipe from the black rubber bit thats connected to the underside of the washer. Trust me on that, i found out the hard way when reconnecting!
(most of the above is very simple and self axplanatory, so no pics were taken)
Now your good to start and your bonnet should look like this:
DSC00627.jpg

DSC00628.jpg

The white pipe work is the washer hose. This is connected to the bottom of the panel to keep it in place by 2 clips. They pull off if you carefully persuade them upwards.
The underside of the panel will look like this:
DSC00629.jpg

And the top like this:
DSC00630.jpg

Now remember that the new washer and the old one are very different sizes:
DSC00624.jpg

DSC00625.jpg

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Now the fun part. Remove the OLD washer and get your file ready!
Now being the pioneer on this project, i went about this in the wrong way to begin with, so the next pic is something you need to AVOID doing:
DSC00634.jpg

DSC00633.jpg

No matter what the temptation is, DON'T make the hole on top any bigger. I did this thinking the washer would sit nicely in there and spray the water on to the screen. It did fit snugly, but the water just washed the bonnet lip:
DSC00632.jpg

It also left a gap at the top which i had to fill with foam :(
So if i was to do this again, i'd creat a new hole in the front section of the panel directly below the existing washer hole, and file it down to fit. The existing washer could then have the bottom section removed, but put back in place afterwards to fill the gap. Hindsight eh?

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
So i had to make a hole in the front of the panel in order to get the spray to hit the windscreen, and then tape it in place on the rear. I think a better solution could be found, but again, i now know better.
DSC00631.jpg

When fitting the new washers in place, make sure the two hooks are at the BOTTOM, other wise you just squirt water upwards. Another lesson learnt the hard way.
When your happy with the new washer fitment, trial fit the panel and connect the pipework. Get in the car (close the door or you may get wet) and try the washers. With any look they will be spot on, if not simply adjust them with the sliding direction.... thingy.
Now connect everything back together and test your wipers to ensure they are fitted ok and not loose.
You should now see:
DSC00639.jpg

DSC00640.jpg

DSC00641.jpg

DSC00642.jpg

DSC00643.jpg

DSC00644.jpg

DSC00645.jpg

Points to remember:
The new fan washers must not be higher than the original ones as clearance is minimal.
Don't worry if the washers look like they are directed too low as the internals push the water upwards.
This took me 2 hours from start to finish. Allow yourself the same amount of time and you should easily manage this.
Hope this helps :D

bozwellox

Jazz Maveric
Jan 8, 2007
Oxford
Nice mod, good work!!

Not sure I'm brave enough to try it myself yet though, I am cursed with a syndrome I believe is known as "spackius maximus", and will probably end up with less than satisfactory results.

Jealous.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Well done
Will try this when get back onshore
I think I'll try out the mans best friend with this, a dog you say, no no no
NO MORE NAILS!!!
Do you think it would be possible once you have positioned this and tape it in place that it could be glued in for a solid fix?

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Well done
Will try this when get back onshore
I think I'll try out the mans best friend with this, a dog you say, no no no
NO MORE NAILS!!!
Do you think it would be possible once you have positioned this and tape it in place that it could be glued in for a solid fix?
Doubt the glue would make much difference TBH as the contact with the two is only a very small amount.
I filed mine down to make it snug enough to stay put, the tape is just a precaution.
creating the hole in the front of the panel, rather than the top like i have, should make it a much better fit.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I would have thought that the scuttle panel would be a Leon standard part aswell not just higher range models
Also did you drive the car and used the washers FANS before final positioning?
I think some cars have the jets set a bit higher to account for working when car is at speed to allow the water to hit the window in a better place
Do you notice a difference in the fan spray when at speed?

Last edited:

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
I would have thought that the scuttle panel would be a Leon standard part aswell not just higher range models
Also did you drive the car and used the washers FANS before final positioning?
I think some cars have the jets set a bit higher to account for working when car is at speed to allow the water to hit the window in a better place
Do you notice a difference in the fan spray when at speed?

Yeah i tested it at various speeds, and they work equally well from 0-100 so no reason why they wouldn't work above that speed if you needed them too.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
I managed to take a look at the engine bay of a 150 Golf MK4 today and have a look at the scuttle panel. I didn't remove it, but can tell its different, so that rules this idea out, but it's irrelivant now anyway because the Golfs don't have the washer jets fitted to the scuttle panel like our leons, they are on the inside of the bonnet right at the top edge, and fitting them this way to the leon isn't a simple mod' so looks like a tidy job on the leon scuttle panel is the only way.
I should add that the Screen wash is good stuff too as it never froze this morning at -5 and the fan's worked fine too. :D

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Nice one matey!!! everyone makes mistakes in a trial run of somthing. And it would always be better if we could do it again!! i reacon you could get a new skuttle cover from the scrap yard cheap. most impressed with the mod tho! im off to my local vw dealer next week to purchase some of these washer jets to do this as the fan washers are sooooo much better than the originals.:D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise