Tolley Windscreen wipers

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
The problem below is happening on my 2001 Toledo TDI SE but it probably could occur on any Seat or indeed other VW/Audi range. I just wonder if anyone else has come across it.

I find that if I do not use my windscreen wipers for a week (ie when its actually been dry for that length of time or I've not needed to use the car), when I go to use them after that period they are everso slow............so much I think they are going the breakdown !......& thats on the Fastest setting & with the windreen very wet.

However I can "free" them up (or speed them up) if I actually pull the wiper blades off the screen (in the position as if I was going to replace the blades) & run the windscreen wipers at fast speed (ie with no loading or friction of pulling across the screen) for about 10 minutes & although they still start off slow they gradually speed up & then end up at their correct speed.

I was wondering if there was anywhere I should be lubricating or is there a seal that drys out ?.....or maybe the commutator on the wiper motor corrodes up without use & using them gradually removes the corrosion.

Anyone else suffered from this ?

Paul

jdesousa

Jun 13, 2008
Nottingham
Hi there, This has been covered on this forum alot before. Its a common problem on the tollys. You need to remove the wiper mechanism, remove the spindles, clean and put back. Thats the short version. Do a search and you will find a more in depth version.

Or if you anywhere near nottingham you can always call in at my house and I can give you a hand. Takes about an hour or so.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Thanks for that.........I did a search originally & only found where wipers were totally seized, so felt that wasn't what I was suffering from. It seems as if I use it then its OK.....so is there anywhere I can get WD40 into the linkage (while its STILL working at normal speed) ? without removing the blades etc.

Thinking about it I have over the last month let the Tolley stand around for 4 days & nights doing nothing.

Seems to me the removing of the blades is the biggest problem with some guys breaking them.......

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
My problem was exactly the same as yours and I'm afraid you really do have to have the whole unit out to lubricate all linkages. I took the motor out and cleaned that up too. I doubt you'll solve the problem by just having the wiper blades off.

jdesousa

Jun 13, 2008
Nottingham
Mine was working as well but very slow and at times seem to go faster mostly when its wet. As Above, I'm afraid you will have to disasemble the lot to clean it up and lubricate it again. Well worth it though. Mine is 100% now.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Is there anywhere a step by step procedure for doing this...........I don't want to be dumb but also as they are working now (but you think this will not last) I don't want to make it worse or break anything.

Paul

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Is there anywhere a step by step procedure for doing this...........I don't want to be dumb but also as they are working now (but you think this will not last) I don't want to make it worse or break anything.

Here you go: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=167776&highlight=wiper+spindle

Don't be daunted. It sounds like a lot of work but if you do it systematically it is fine. I would consider myself as a "have a go novice" and all went OK. It was slightly tricky manoeuvring the motor and assembly out of the gap when unbolted but it comes out. Once it is all out you might as well clean and lubricate the motor as well as the linkages.

Like I say, my symptoms were exactly the same but it's been fine ever since I did that.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Hi in the end I fitted a whole new linkage....................I couldn't believe how strong the motor must be because after on the old linkage after exercising the wipers went at normal speed when put on fast...........however when I took the linkage off, one "arm" would not move using a blokes on strength & the other one had about 4 sticky points on it................hence changed it..................all I'm saying is the tolleys wiper motor must of been strong to be able to work the wipers let alone at normal speed with the joints being that tight !

Tartan58

Ex Seat Owner!!
Apr 10, 2008
Edinburgh
Hi in the end I fitted a whole new linkage....................I couldn't believe how strong the motor must be because after on the old linkage after exercising the wipers went at normal speed when put on fast...........however when I took the linkage off, one "arm" would not move using a blokes on strength & the other one had about 4 sticky points on it................hence changed it..................all I'm saying is the tolleys wiper motor must of been strong to be able to work the wipers let alone at normal speed with the joints being that tight !

Yeah, I was surprised at this too when it happened to me - I kept thinking I'd flicked them on to double speed by accident once I'd replaced the linkage!!

jdesousa

Jun 13, 2008
Nottingham
You're right there mate. I had to hammer the hell out of the spindles to get them out and yet the motor still managed to turn it.