Wanting a Cupra r but would like some advice...

demons uk

Hello,

New to the forum but have been scanning it for quite a few weeks to get the general idea of these cars ;)

I really want a 03/04 Cupra R as i need a new car and i've always wanted one of these and now I'm pretty much in the position of being able to afford one, i do have some reservations though..

I'm 19, but can afford insurance and the car as long as its around 7 to 8k,

With that in mind can you get a good R for that, just thinking that insurance on a normal (and much uglier in my opinion) Cupra is £100 less a year so i might as well go for the car i really want.

Can people see any problems that I'll have? I'm pretty handy as I'm a plumber/multi skilled and have always worked on my own cars, i understand that this is however 'modern' and not the Mk2 GTI's I'm used to...

Think the prices of these will bottom out soon or will its be a steady decline for a few months yet?

welcome to all your opinions on my situation, even if it is 'get a 1.4 and save your money' type thing.

Thanks, Pete.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
:lol:With that in mind can you get a good R for that, just thinking that insurance on a normal (and much uglier in my opinion) Cupra is £100 less a year so i might as well go for the car i really want.:doh: there is nothing ugly about the cupra's its purely styling.

Yes you should get a good LCR for that money.

RickC

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Dec 23, 2004
Lincoln
what is ur insurance at 19 if you dont mind me asking, mine was bad enough at 20 with no no claims.

demons uk

not saying the normal cupra is an ugly car, Just prefer the more aggressive styling. ;-)

Insurance is around £1100 on the 210R and 1200 on the 225. Cheap :-D

What are the differences between these two models other then the bhp difference?

I would like to test drive one but they are rare in my area :-( how 'quick' are they?

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Where about's are you ???

Best advice I can give is try and find a good one dont just look for the cheapest.

cupra.rich

Dec 20, 2008
how did you manage to get a quote for a cupra r for £1200?? im 19 and i pay £1700 just for my cupra with 1yrs no claims, you sure youve put all the details in correctly or is it on your parents insurance??
if its on your own then whats the insurance company?

demons uk

Thanks for the link mate.

I'm in tewkesbury, glos so full of oldies :p

Neope, insurance is all right. Fully comp with buiness use, my policy, my car with 2 years no claims, always got my mum on there but obv not using her no claims or anything, only on there so she can go fill it up for me :-D

My insurance is cheap (don't want to know what the other guys pay :-D), i've rang upto confirm and they actually will make it less when I turn 20 in January, I had my heart set on a rs4 but that's a little to much :-D

That's with bell, although I'll just change my policy for the remander so it will be a one off fee of ~450.

cupra.rich

Dec 20, 2008
There are alot of variables with insurance, you can't be going to the right prices if a cupra r cost you more then £2000.

well i tried all the comparison websites and a few various others but im using bell just like the demon geezer is using so it cant be that and its not as if i live in the ghetto and do 1million miles a year because ive only got a social policy of upto 6000 miles

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
hello demons,you seem to be in the same position as i was in last year when i was 19.wish you the best of luck to finding the car you really want.i found my cupra r for £7k which was before the credit crunch so im sure you will find a better one with the same budget.

when checking out your car i would strongly reccomend you enquire about the turbo,water pump,service history etc...the usual. i found that my clutch was on its way out so that was more money spent.cupra r's that are cheap are usually ones that have been ragged big time...

demons uk

Thanks for that mate.

I'm hoping to get one with full service history and as few owners as possable, and if it's done over 60,000 I'd have wanted the cambelt to have been do e really. I know about the problems with the waterpump so will have to think abou that cost. The turbo's are pretty strong? I figured they can handle alot more boost then what they are set standard?

I know if I get one it will get regular oil changes, I tend to change the oil whenever the season changes so hopefully the engine will be in pretty good hands, although I
It's not going to get the easiest life.

Was the clutch expensive? Would it be better to uprate?

Only thing I won't touch is timing belt and engine rebuild type stuff, general servicing and brakes etc I can get through with mates? Luckily my friend has a BAM engine in his mk2 golf and that is nice to work on.

Anyone got a turbo timer fitted? Only reason I ask is my work is litterally a mile up the road, so the car wouldn't be warmed up, It won't go over 2k rpm but would like it to be able to atleast get 10mins of temperature in it? And plus would be handy generally I feel, if I was in a rush etc.

What's a good mileage, thinking 60,000 and below but depends on ages things, anyone know average life of these engines with a okish life.

Any more advice would be handy, and any other cupra tips for knocking prices down.

demons uk

Im 21 and shopping around for a grey or black LCR, for same money. Is it me, or are there not that many around??

Anyone know what money they will start at the dealerships?

There doesn't seem to be alot around, but then again there quite a rare car, not that many made I thought?

I'd like a ovni yellow ;-) but to be fair there's not a bad colour for them from what I've seen?

MK8

I dont like the ovni yellow myself, and think they look much better in black/anthracite grey (cant remember seat's name for the colour im thinking of). suprised how little are around though, theres what 4 on ebay?!

594pidge

hiya m8, im 20, and just got a cupra R 210, cost me just over 1200 to insure it, with 2 yrs no claims... in my mind, best buy ever, luv it to bits, buy the cupra R!!!!

594pidge

p.s cost 6k for a black LCR with 44k on the clock, year MOT, 6 mnths tax, 3mnths warrenty, MINT condition in and out

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.