What engine mounts and cheapest place to buy?

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
Hello All,

I think the engine mounts in my Leon Mk1 Tdi are on their way out as when I accelerate in 5th or 6th from a relatively low speed I get a huge amount of vibration/ rattle from the engine. It only used to do it in 6th when accelerating hard from say 50mph. It will now do it in 5th and 4th which it never used to do.

I've seen the dogbone mounts talked about on here but I'd rather have a smoother car than amazing acceleration from a standstill etc. If anyone could recommend a decent type or even if the OEM ones are considered best I'd appreciate it. I'd also appreciate a quick response so i can order them today and fit them tomorrow if poss.

thanks in advance guys!!!

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
i've had a quick look around and it seems that you can buy either just the replacement/ polyurethane parts which are substantially cheaper than buying the whole mount. Is it a simple job to remove the old mounts and just replace the rubbers or is this more hassle than it's worth???

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Thats not engine mounts, sounds like flywheel judder.

Firstly you shouldnt be in 6th and hard accelerating at 50mph. That will kill your clutch.

Dogbone mount I would go for superpro or powerflex. Could even go for an r32 dogbone mount that gives a good compromise between rubber and poly.

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
haha. i knew i'd get told off for accelerating in 6th. it's only when i'm on the motorway coming out of a 50 and i forget to change down. As i say it only used to do it in 6th but now does it in 5th and sometimes 4th.

Flywheel judder??? I can guess as to what that means but it feels more liek an engine kind of vibration?!!? If it is flywheel judder what is the definitive way of telling and I'm guessing it will involve taking the gearbox out to fix and woudl be expensive?!!?

I've found some power flex mounts on ebay which you have to fit yourself for £20. this seems pretty cheap. They told me you need a press to fit them, but my mate has so should be ok, or will it still be a ball ache?!?!?!

thanks for your reply jonjay!!

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
Or alternatively, what is the definitive way of telling if your engine mounts need replacing??? the car is a 54plate with 140k on it with a remap so it's done a bit of work. Clutch was replaced at 90k though!!!!