Wheel Bearing or Tyre Rubbing?

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
Trimmer said:
I would replace the tyre.. i spent £150 on a new hub and bearing extra and ended up bein the tyre. lumpy tyres do cause a droning noise simular to when your bearings are gone.

I got a new tyre today and had my tracking done which was well out but i still heard the noise on the way home...it wasnt as loud and hasnt been for a while but still there

The guy at the tyre place said it could be my rear breaks binding which i have had before?

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
was going to say check your brakes... im getting some similar squeaks which i thought was a bearing going but ive found ive grooved my discs.:whistle:

id deffo keep trying garages tho. if its getting louder now it might be more obvious to them.

Could be a sticking caliper? It would essentially be stuck pressing the pad onto the disc, eventually warping it.
I had this a few weeks ago, the noise was terrible, replaced discs and pads and it's gone away, but the caliper was pretty damn stiff.

You can tell if its a problem like that though, have a look at your rear brake discs, if they appear 'scored' , scratched or worn unevenly then there is a problem.

You dont have to take the wheel off, just have a good look at them from the outside.

Matt20Cupra

Matt20VT
Jun 24, 2005
Alvaston, Derby
I agree with Mark, its deffinately rear shocks as this is what happened to mine, in the end, replaced the rear and front shocks with a FK coilover kit from Awesome GTi. But in response to Jason with the VRs badge, the bearings on the rear are a taper bearing i believe and in my experience as an aero engine and Machine tool fitter a bearing will have play in it upon inspection whether its under load or not, but, the sound whilst spinning the wheel will be very quite with no weigth upon it, whereas, the cars weight on that bearing, plus the factor of poor lubrication, heat and frictional aspects can exagerate the noise through the body work and sound alot worse than it maybe is!!! But having a wheel bearing seize at speed can lock up the front or rear wheel and cause blow outs or loss of control, without being morbid, i recently lost a best mate of mine to this, so lets not be putting any threads up on here in memory off one off use lot for the sake of a hours labour and a bearing!! Get them sorted if at all in doubt!!Cheers

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
CupraTgirl said:
Hiya everyone

I dont know if anyone remembers me writing a post about what i thought was my wheel bearing going? Well i think someone posted back saying that this droaning noise i hear when i drive could be my tyre rubbing?

Well its still doing it but its louder and more constant. I have listened to see if it does it when i turn corners and it doesnt do it (so in doing that i think that writes out the front wheel bearings)

I thought that it was coming from the rear when i first heard the noise (which was after i took off my Rear Wheel Spacers) and have had someone confirm that its the rear offside (drivers side) that the noise is coming from

I had to replace three of the tyres a while back so only one of them is the original Pirelli P-Zeros that the car came to me with

The one tyre that wasnt replaced is the one on the rear drivers side...it has uneven wear on it and is almost bald...could this be the cause of the noise or could it still be a wheel bearing?

Please can someone help me...responses saying 'turn your music up' will not be appreciated as that is what i was told to to last time i posted (all one for a joke but this is really worrying me)

Thank you all

Ok well my car has gone in for the third time today to see if they can sort out whats wrong with it, the last time it went in the garage said they could hear the noise i have been on about but couldnt work out where it was coming from (didnt want to do any work until they knew for sure what it was, trying to save me money i think)

It appears the noise is coming from the front left hand side and there is vibration in the passenger footwell! I was given some sound advice at my last meet, you know who you are ;)

It was also pointed out that my suspension was squeaking

So hopefully with all these new details which i have told the garage they may be able to sort it, just want it to be better :cry:

Last edited:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
m0rk is spot on, I had this too

My dodgy rear dampers pounded my tyre out of shape, squeaked on speed bumps and I had a droning noise and vibration. At first I suspected buckled alloy wheels, balancing not being done right etc....all checked out and eventually traced to the dampers.

New dampers and new tyres needed (this was a Leon but same principle)

All after 30k miles from new

leaky damper
Rudderswagon6.jpg

Pounded out of shape tyre with flat spots
DSC00457.jpg

flashbsd

yeah but the noise is definatley from the front, the squeak is from the rear though. no vibrations at rear or poor damping

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
Ruddmeister said:
m0rk is spot on, I had this too

My dodgy rear dampers pounded my tyre out of shape, squeaked on speed bumps and I had a droning noise and vibration. At first I suspected buckled alloy wheels, balancing not being done right etc....all checked out and eventually traced to the dampers.

New dampers and new tyres needed (this was a Leon but same principle)

All after 30k miles from new

leaky damper
Rudderswagon6.jpg

Pounded out of shape tyre with flat spots
DSC00457.jpg

I got a new tyre the other day and my tracking done (you know i said the rear right hand side Pirelli was nearly bald) and it didnt look like that? There was wear on the inside of the tyre more than the outside but isnt that because of the tracking being out? As it was really out

The thing is too the noise was coming from the front?

Can i just say, im really not doubting what anyone is saying as you know more than i do, just trying to find an answer to all my questions

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
CupraPower said:
If it turns out to be a front wheel bearing. Just to let you know i have a spare one. (Brand new) Let me know on msn if you need it.

Ian

Thank you thats really kind!

I have just spoken to the garage and they said they have been down the road in it and they didnt hear anything? He said he didnt hear the droaning noise but the noise when braking he thinks is the ABS (how much of a numpty do i feel but to be fair it really didnt sound good when i was braking) Could the ABS go wrong at all? He said he is going to bring it in now and check the brakes and dampers

The other thing he mentioned is that it could be tyre noise

It then got me thinking, when i first heard the noise i had just taken my Rear Wheel Spacers off (thats another story, lol) and thats why i thought it was that but i think i had just had the Hankooks (i know their bad) put on? Could all this worry simply be because of the tread on the tyre? He said sometimes it can cause an awful noise!

I suppose it would make sense if it was the tyres that it didnt make much noise today as its raining? Surely that would put a kind of lining between the tyre and the road, therefore not as much friction? I may be wrong

Last edited:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
flashbsd said:
yeah but the noise is definatley from the front, the squeak is from the rear though. no vibrations at rear or poor damping

With mine the noise couldn't really be traced, it was also more with some road surfaces and less with others, different speeds and I could hear it more / less too.......I thought the problem was at the front too so be warned ;)

Then agaon my Toyo T1-S tyres made much more noise than my Goodyears :think:...........bl000dy cars ;)

Last edited:

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
Ruddmeister said:
With mine the noise couldn't really be traced, it was also more with some road surfaces and less with others, different speeds and I could hear it more / less too.......I thought the problem was at the front too so be warned ;)

Then agaon my Toyo T1-S tyres made much more noise than my Goodyears :think:...........bl000dy cars ;)

Yeah thats what mine has been like

Hard to tell where it was coming from, some roads more than others (motorways it is noisier) and coming in intermittently at different speeds

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
CupraTgirl said:
Yeah thats what mine has been like

Hard to tell where it was coming from, some roads more than others (motorways it is noisier) and coming in intermittently at different speeds

Ok so the outcome just in case anyone wanted to know!

The garage looked at the brakes and the suspension, they said the pads were fine but the two front discs had a slight lip on them, they said it doesnt need replacing at the moment though

They said the shock absorbers are fine and the only thing he can put it down to is tyre noise?

One more question, can the ABS really make loads of noise when braking?

flashbsd

scotty told you about the lip on the discs ;) ABS will only make a noise if it kicks in, you weren't braking or even hard enough for ABS when we heard the sound so it surely cant be that?

So the front bearings have been inspected or are they just assuming its not that?

Hope it works out for you though, can't go having you unhappy :)

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
flashbsd said:
scotty told you about the lip on the discs ;) ABS will only make a noise if it kicks in, you weren't braking or even hard enough for ABS when we heard the sound so it surely cant be that?

So the front bearings have been inspected or are they just assuming its not that?

Hope it works out for you though, can't go having you unhappy :)

Yeah i know he did and i am very grateful for that (see post #27 i had noted it down, ha ha) ;)

Well thats what i thought about the ABS, the way he said 'its the ABS' made me feel like a right numpty, i didnt think you would be able to hear it unless you braked really hard

Yeah its all been looked at and he said it was all fine

I just have to hope it is ok