Where do I start?

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
Hey peeps, ok simples really, as title says, I don't really have a clue on the a-z on products and steps. Here's some pics, btw the whole cars like this :( thank you for your help advice in advance :)

ve3yjemy.jpg

e5a9e4a2.jpg

7upebe9a.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Basically looks to me like you want to give the car a real good clean then set about it with a polisher to get rid of those awful swirls.

Once you've done that you'll be wanting to follow as many methods as possible to try and do your best to stop getting them in the future.

Easier said than done but you can only polish out swirls so many times so you can't fix it forever :)

Last edited:

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
Believe or not the pictures you see here are snapped just after I cleaned it yesterday (eek) lol. So is polish what I need first off? T cut colour fast any good?

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
I'm thinking more machine polish mate, doing it by hand will kill you off.

Machine will take a fair amount of time too though.

My advice would be to look at some decent DA polishers, I was looking at a DAS Pro-6 earlier in the year, would do the job just fine and won't give you the chance of totally ruining your paint ;)

polisher

You can pick up a sealey da polisher on ebay for about £60 (it's and investment believe me)I think with adjustable speed settings. You want to be using it on a fairly low speed (2-4) with some swirl mark polish like meguiars or even 3m stuff is pretty decent. Just take your time in small sections and it'll look tidy!

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
My car was nowhere near as swirled as that and I spent 3 hours with a machine polisher. Still not completely perfect.
I expect you'll have to spend about 4 hours just polishing with quite a harsh polish.

Start with coarse and work to fine finishing polish

Last edited:

w1ll0711

Jun 23, 2014
Cornwall
Plenty of tips on the internet/youtube bud, ammo nyc on you tube has some great tips for it and he works on anything from mercs to veyrons so hes pretty damn good at detailing. But an dual action polisher and a compound is when you need, if youve never machine buffed before make sure you dont use a rotary polisher though as you will burn the hell out of your paint and ruin it. Rupes 21 or 15 are the best I believe, dont think I can post links yet as im a newbie but 'chemical guys' do a good explaination of all the polishers. Do it in 4 steps as well, so coarse compound, polish, finishing polish and finally wax to protect all your hard work! ;)

Few other tips are:
1. Use two buckets when cleaning your car (one clean, one dirty).
2. Start from the top and go down.
3. Chuck away whatever you're using if its stinking!
4. Dont use circles! They are much harder than straight line scratches to get out.
5. Clay bar your car.
6. Only polish once every three months at most.
7. Wax whenever you want cuz the more protection the better, I aqua wax mine after washing once a week and use turtle wax once a month.

Hope thay helps buddy :D

dazjstuart

May 18, 2012
Aberdeen
T-cut colourfast is quite good if you are polishing by hand, it contains a lot of filler though so you are disguising the swirls rather than removing them. The sealant I think it's called colourfast 365 that comes with it is actually very good I only used it once but it gave impressive water beading.

I found the paint on my Leon to be pretty hard I was polishing with a blue lake country compounding pad and meguiars ultimate compound for quite a while on each panel.

As others have said the key with swirls is prevention rather than polishing. Get your washing regime sorted out. After I detailed mine last time (coming up for a year ago) I got snow foam and have always 2 bucketed. Away to mine again today or Tomorrow and it's no where near as bad as it usually is.

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
Thanks guys, great help, atm I can't stretch to 90+ for a DA polisher, what about the big cheap ass ones for 19 notes? Your am I just wasting yours and my time asking! :(

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Can't say it's something I'd go for, for a beginner I'd go DA because you can't ruin your paint. I don't think I'd advise t-cut all over mate, it's meant as a kind of small area repair than anything else. Bide your time and get the right kit, do your research and you'll get stunning results, it'll be like a new paint job (except for any deep scratches)

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Best way, get the right stuff and you're off to a good start.

Search YouTube for junkman and watch his stuff, he's got really good videos on how to properly clean and polish your car.