Which oil is required for a top up?

treehugger

Sep 15, 2006
North Suffolk
I was driving my V2 with 4800 miles on the clock yesterday and had a dreaded warning come up on the the dash, this was a new one on me though. Low oil level plesae top up with a maximum of 1l, you may continue to drive. I have since checked the oil and found it to be near the bottom of the acceptable level. Personally I cannot remember the last time I had to but oil, normally this is just replaced as part of the service and there you go, but if it's low then it needs a top-up.

Here comes the hard part, what type/grade of oil is required?

The manual list about three different VW approved numbers, there is no sticker under the bonnet as mentioned on other threads and trying to input my reg into any car parts web sites tells me they don't have anything suitable.

I am at a loss, could someone please assist?

Spivvy

Nov 21, 2021
UK
How old the car I don't think it should need any oil ,unless it was low when you got it

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Deleted member 131219

The brand of oil you use is less important that its specification. I've checked the manual: it says that "VW 504 00" spec should be used for petrol engines, and "VW 507 00" for diesel engines. In reality, either will be perfectly fine for a petrol engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: treehugger

johanr77

Sep 13, 2021
If the car is telling you to put oil in it then put oil in it. If you can put some card or paper underneath the engine bay to see if it is a leak. If it is give the dealer a shout. I'd be surprised if the dealer takes much interest in burning a litre of oil over 5k.

Oil should be 5w 30 according to the manual.

Spivvy

Nov 21, 2021
UK
the Manuel states
Depending on how you drive and the condi￾tions in which the vehicle is used, oil con￾sumption can be up to 0.5 l/1000 km. Oil
consumption is likely to be higher for the first
5,000 km. For this reason the engine oil level
must be checked at regular intervals, pref￾erably when filling the tank and before a
journey.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
It could be both. The first spec you mention is the viscosity ie how thick the oil is when cold and how thin it is when hot. The second one you mention is the VW specification which governs the chemical make up and properties of the oil. For example, my diesel requires 5W30, 507.00.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I believe the 1.5 TSI uses really thin oil. Helps with warm up and fuel consumption from cold

Off top of my head think it something daft like 0W20

Quick search the 1.5 TSI is 0W20 VW 508 00

But a wise man once told me any oil is better than no oil so a top up of any oil grade 5W30 5W40 etc will be better than no oil

Jun 28, 2021
Thanks for the replies so far.

How much you roughly need to get that message away? I put a good 0.5l in there and checked the stick (which looked ok) and still that message popped up :/ ??

Nov 21, 2021
I was looking at oil to top-up (310) and the manual says 'You can get information about the correct engine oil for your vehicle at your workshop'... to buy from them at inflated price if I were being cynical!

There's discussion on other VW forums re the merits of the low viscosity 0W oil. Pg 292 of the Formentor manual provides:

Petrol engines: standard VW 504 00, VW 502 00, VW 508 00, ACEA C3 or API SN.

'Using engine oil that is compliant with the VW 504 00 standard instead of VW 508 00 could increase consumption and the vehicle’s CO2 emissions'

Googling the spec and options for VW 508 00:

Specifications 508 00 and 509 00 concern the so-called “VW Blue Oil” for the latest generations of engines from VW. The specifications demand an oil in viscosity class SAE 0W-20 with a reduced HTHS viscosity of at least 2.6 mPa. s. This allows fuel savings of at least 4% to be achieved.

Castrol recently (2017) unveiled a new low viscosity engine oil for Volkswagen (VW) engines. Developed in co-operation with Volkswagen, the Edge Professional LL IV FE 0W-20 oil is intended for use in engines requiring the VW 508 00/509 00 specification to help maximize performance.

Tennis Pro

Mar 4, 2021
Thanks for the replies so far.

How much you roughly need to get that message away? I put a good 0.5l in there and checked the stick (which looked ok) and still that message popped up :/ ??
I'm having the same problem, topped up about half a litre and the stick is saying it's full but the warning light still comes on.
Any suggestions?
Many thanks.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.