Why couldn't my FR overtake a normal Leon?

FReddytdi

Jun 6, 2007
Was in a situation the other morning where a 'normal' silver Leon (diesel) pulled up by the side of me, we both went for it, he was a bit quicker away but I quickly got level but for some reason I couldn't pull away from him. At most this was a 140bhp Leon, why couldn't I get past him?

Someone told me the DPF slightly affects power but surely not enough for a car with 30bhp less to stay with me.

If it was chipped would it still get to 170bhp?

If those 140bhp are that fast then I will get one, its group insurance 9 and has 16" alloys on.:(

Al

Aug 29, 2005
140 diesels can map to closer to 190bhp, but the torque is also a lot more than a standard 170PD too.

20vt Tony

Oct 16, 2006
Edwinstowe, Notts
I've got a 140 TDi and when I was considering Revo ing, they quoted 185 bhp and 296, torque (think those figures are about right?).

Standard torque is about 236

Tony

FReddytdi

Jun 6, 2007
just checked the 'specs' on Seat web-site, the 140bhp on paper is a very good car for the money.

Tony, why get rid of the Focus ST-2, I'd love that car!!

20vt Tony

Oct 16, 2006
Edwinstowe, Notts
just checked the 'specs' on Seat web-site, the 140bhp on paper is a very good car for the money.

Tony, why get rid of the Focus ST-2, I'd love that car!!

3 door (thought it would be easier getting a 2 year old in the back), mainly plus my wife didn't like the extra chav attention when she was in it with the little one!! Think I would still have it now if I'd have bought the 5 door. They only had 3 door available at the time otherwise 3 month wait and wouldn't have got it for £15100 brand new! Sold it 2 months later for £17500 and got the Leon, which is a good car, but defintely needs more power,

Tony

FReddytdi

Jun 6, 2007
I'm looking at the new Focus in February, it looks like a decent car, the Titanium comes with DAB as standard.

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
Probably it was DSG - having driven both I think you have to make a major effort in the FR to keep up with the fast shifts of the 140. For my money it is a sweeter engine than the 170, less lag. The Golf GT Sport DSG I found a bit more lumpy than the 140 so I wouldn't be particularly surprised if it was standard to be hoest.

Sambo

Probably it was DSG - having driven both I think you have to make a major effort in the FR to keep up with the fast shifts of the 140. For my money it is a sweeter engine than the 170, less lag. The Golf GT Sport DSG I found a bit more lumpy than the 140 so I wouldn't be particularly surprised if it was standard to be hoest.

:) I have the DSG and must say it's fantastic.

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
I traded in my 02 Leon for an 05 Focus Titanium in April of last year and it was the biggest mistake I've ever made. It was an absolutely lousy car. Constant faults, shoddily built, useless dealerships and just felt hopeless to drive. I changed it last month for a 55 Leon and I instantly feel more at home... Okay so maybe I had a lemon of a car but that still doesn't affect the lousy disassociated driving feel...

S8N

I posed thred yarp?
Apr 8, 2007
Manchester
I traded in my 02 Leon for an 05 Focus Titanium in April of last year and it was the biggest mistake I've ever made. It was an absolutely lousy car. Constant faults, shoddily built, useless dealerships and just felt hopeless to drive. I changed it last month for a 55 Leon and I instantly feel more at home... Okay so maybe I had a lemon of a car but that still doesn't affect the lousy disassociated driving feel...

It wasn't a lemon, just proof of their terrible build quality. I had a Titanium for 4 months and had nothing but problems. I can totally understand your problems!

Lewis_FR

Jul 1, 2007
Tiverton, Devon
I still dont know they best way to drive a Derv fast. ive had it since september but its hard to know when to change gear to get the most out of the torque. Coming from a revvy GTi-6 its quite a different style of driving. A mate of mine has the Golf GT TDi 140 and from 80mph+ there is practicaly no difference in acceleration and his is standard!

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
No higher than 3700rpm, 4 at a push in lower gears. Once you're higher up the speedo the higher gears tend to pull better than a lower one due to the higher torque required to move the car at higher speeds (4th will take you up to about 80, but from there, sixth is better than fifth I reckon).

As I said, I'm sorry to say but I was disappointed in the 170PS TDi engine, especially with manual transmission. I think they've tuned it for a faster 0-60 and higher turbo boost so it feels faster (especially with the sports suspension), but when I drove both back to back I actually preferred the feel and power delivery of the 140, even the dealer said 'it doesn't feel as fast as the Stylance does it?', it's a much more pleasurable drive in every way for my money. Not sure if he'd ever done the back to back test, but we seemed to be in agreement that the FR was just more work to move due to the turbo lag and the transmission. The DSG 140 in particular just flies, but it doesn't feel like it as much, not as lurchy. Having driven the Golf GT Sport 170 DSG I can't say the TDi DSG on the Leon excites me that much anymore either, the 140 is nicer to drive in my opinion.

Rob

johnvx220

May 10, 2007
Plymouth
Just a thought, you can by from ebay upgraded wheels and body trim etc so even the 1.9 units can look like the 140/170bhp cars. Also I have the 170 unit tuned to 204/420 nm with the FR badge removed and replaced with a TDi. My point is unless you know the car, it is very easy to have a wolf in sheeps clothes. The 170 unit does need to driven hard to get the best out of it and ensure you are always above the 2,000+ revs. Still get a smile every time I get in it.

chippenhamwilts

Mar 31, 2007
Are you sure it wasnt the 2.0 sport you were racing as they were around 180-185 if I am not mistaken and could probably keep up on acceleration.

I raced a Focus ST (new shape) on a stretch of road just before christmas and stuck with it on acceleration without to many problems (and the FR is 55bhp down and 500cc smaller) we raced up to around 138 before having to slow down. He didn't realise mine was a diesel....he was absolutly gutted (especially at around 15 mpg while doing it compared to my 25-30 mpg for the same stint)

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
I wouldn't expect to see that much difference for 30BHP and a bit more torque to be honest if you are already both moving... IMHO you need considerably more power to really leave someone behind, and if they are really going for it & start accerlating a bit before you in the right gear it will be close. Usually you will way exceed the speedlimit before showing significant difference.

Also as everyone else has said you don't know what is hiding under the bonnet or in the ECU.

FReddytdi

Jun 6, 2007
I didn't put on the original post, I was always catching up with this other Leon and I'm sure if I'd kept going I would've gone by him, but when the speed gets to bloody stupid mph I just slow down. I think of my 2 year old son and slow down to the limit.

Also Chippenhamwilts I always manage to stay with ST's / VXR's and Type R's, and yes you are right they are devastated when they realise you are a diesel, it's a great feeling!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.