Superchips - FR 170 TDi remap - 213bhp !!!!

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
k4ith I am not revo development just share the same first name :)

One of my top hates on a diesel is when you boot em you leave a cloud of black smoke the DPF claims to cure this problem and make the engine 90% efficient as apposed to 85%.

I am all for anything that saves the planet in anyway as long as it don't take my fun away :)

The DPF does nothing to the engine. It is fitted in the exhaust and burns off the soot particles which lowers emissions.

charlievarley

The DPF does nothing to the engine. It is fitted in the exhaust and burns off the soot particles which lowers emissions.

Best you go tell these guys then

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_Particulate_Filter

http://www.dieselnet.com/papers/0209czerwinski/

http://ect.jmcatalysts.com/technologies-diesel.htm

According to them the DPF in its actions of filtering matter lowers backpressure and build up of particles making the engine more efficient.
If altering the exhaust system does nothing to the engine then the peeps who make exhaust mods would be out of business.

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
k4ith I am not revo development just share the same first name :)

One of my top hates on a diesel is when you boot em you leave a cloud of black smoke the DPF claims to cure this problem and make the engine 90% efficient as apposed to 85%.

I am all for anything that saves the planet in anyway as long as it don't take my fun away :)

I have been searching for a exhaust manufacturer that does a system for the FR TDi, only ones i find are for the leon tdi 2.0 140bhp - Supersprint, and my choice for remapping Star performance arent releasing the map for the FR TDI 170 due to issue's with the dpf, i wish i had bought a Petrol now.either that or wait a year:whistle: :doh:

charlievarley

k4ith i would wait a few months and see what comes out, come Jan i am happy to take my car over to revo for em to play :)

L30NKB

had my car booked in this week for the Superchips pd170 conversion at my local tuners only to be told that Superchips are having major problems with the conversion and are not willing to carryout any more at the moment (This was after my ecu had been removed to be sent to them!!!) Any one else had a successful Pd170 conversion done???. CheeRS

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Best you go tell these guys then

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_Particulate_Filter

http://www.dieselnet.com/papers/0209czerwinski/

http://ect.jmcatalysts.com/technologies-diesel.htm

According to them the DPF in its actions of filtering matter lowers backpressure and build up of particles making the engine more efficient.
If altering the exhaust system does nothing to the engine then the peeps who make exhaust mods would be out of business.

My be you should read it again then. The DPF will raise back pressure not lower it. How can you put a device in an exhaust that filters therefore obstructing the flow of exhaust gases without raising back pressure ? Also how can the said device that is fitted in an exhaust after the engine make an engine more efficient?
A DPF is fitted for the sole reason to lower emissions it does nothing to make an engine work more efficiently/powerful/anything else you want to mention.

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
had my car booked in this week for the Superchips pd170 conversion at my local tuners only to be told that Superchips are having major problems with the conversion and are not willing to carryout any more at the moment (This was after my ecu had been removed to be sent to them!!!) Any one else had a successful Pd170 conversion done???. CheeRS

My tuner would not release the map they had been given, although iam am to take the car into them to see what GIAC can do for me. someone earlier said that the FR TDi is a 140 mapped to a 170, thats wrong iam advised as the FR tdi has diff size injectors from the 140 version. cant see why this car cant be mapped safely when VW's deisels are mapable.

Jonto

Mar 29, 2005
Newcastle under Lyme
I may be being thick, but can you just not simply remove the DPF in a similar fashion to cats on petrol cars then replace it come MOT time. Hopefully only every two years if the government get their way !

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
i expect the uprated power of the 170 to be exactly the same as the 140, as the inturnals are all the same. Its just already been "chipped".

A little bit wrong there mate,

The biggest difference on the PD170 over the Pd140 is the use of Piezo Injectors which is basically a use of crystals that change shape with a current passed throught them, allows for a lot more control over the flow of the injector, thus a lot more power.

TristanLeon20VT

Sep 30, 2005
The Netherlands
JD Engineering Golf mkV 170hp TDI:

tdiuitdraai.jpg

This is without any smoke. With a bit of smoke 220hp, and a lot of smoke 230hp.

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
Dyno Lottery. PD150's are 185 to 200 generally aren't they? Guess Revo's quote of 190 is an average.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
JD Engineering Golf mkV 170hp TDI:

tdiuitdraai.jpg

This is without any smoke. With a bit of smoke 220hp, and a lot of smoke 230hp.

As it has been pointed out already the PD170 has a DPF to stop the car smoking. Any diesel tuning company could probably make the PD170 produce 220+ bhp but how long it would produce those figures before the DPF starts to block up screwing the car up is anyones guess/gamble. :shrug:

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
Is the smoke from the clutch frying :lol:

I'm not sure about these 200bhp+ figures flying about, seems very high from just a map.

I had my PD150 done at Jabba sport, & their RR figures gave out 208bhp/218bhp on over boost

Ran her on the JBS RR & it came out 185bhp ?

different engine to the 150 tho? yours 1.9 these 2.0

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
celtictuning reckon it's possible and safe on the new TDI FR.

I emailed them last week.

213 bhp easy peasy.

£400 on your own doorstep?
:lol:

That interesting Upsolute reckon +30bhp and +60Nm but it cannot be done via the OBD port it a ECU out on the table job are you sure its via the OBD port?
NB still not for release yet in the UK

05/03/07
Upsolute UK do their first 170pd Golf - so far so good. ........................

Last edited:

Custom-Code HQ

Hi there everyone

We are currently looking into software for the PD170.

The performance increases will be around 25-30bhp.

We will let you know as soon as we have anything available.

richpaul

i expect the uprated power of the 170 to be exactly the same as the 140, as the inturnals are all the same. Its just already been "chipped".

The PD170 has a bigger turbo, bigger injectors and a completely different ECU by a different manufacturer among other things.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.