Price of diesel

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
These prices really are out of control now!

Diesel here is now 1.22p a litre. I out £10 in my TDI yesterday, its nearly all gone now, doesnt get you very far!

It cost £30 to fill my 1.0 Arosa yesterday, £30 to cover 230 miles in a 1.0 Arosa, how mad!

This country is ruined [:@]

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon

Diesel here is now 1.22p a litre. I out £10 in my TDI yesterday, its nearly all gone now, doesnt get you very far!

B.P and other big garages are 130.9p now and a small independant near me is 132.9p. Let me know where you are as it might pay for me to drive up to you to fill up next time !

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk

It cost £30 to fill my 1.0 Arosa yesterday, £30 to cover 230 miles in a 1.0 Arosa, how mad!

Wish it was that cheap round here!

andy182

Gone up to 125.9 at the local garage in Yarm now and 129.9 at the service station opposite A66 in stockton. Great.

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
Reading this thread every morning makes me sick - the prices are going up and up every day!

Thierry

It's sickening, I've been out of the country for 4 months and I'm sure it was at £1/litre when I left. My local BP is at 124.9 and rising by the day...

It's improving my driving style though, my MPG has improved from about 42mpg to 48mpg. I'm using my push-bike more too so it's not all bad.

Dave H

Mar 12, 2007
Perth, Scotland
We as people of the UK can only suffer as a result of previous govts not getting a suitable alternative on the table for us.

Where is the renewable alternative that does not rely on the diminishing resources.

We are now entering a new life...... where fuel and power and food will continue to rise and rise and rise :(

I blame everyone of us who use the car, particularly when there are alternative modes of transport to take. I know I would drive to the city centre as opposed to bus, solely as the easier option. Time for myself to re-consider and jump on the public transport or use foot. People used to do this 40 years ago, we need to think of adjustment in the day where fuel and energy continue to rise and rise

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
I wouldn't mind paying all this money if there was a viable alternative, but there isn't. No light rail, crap buses, old and unreliable trains.. Thus, I'm left with no alternative but to drive. It would take me over 3 hours to get to work on public transport, when a journey by road takes 35-45 minutes.

If I need to get to our office in London, I can take the train and get delayed for the bargain price of £145 return door to door. Or, I can take a pool car, pay parking and tube fares and it costs £40.. Errr..

Dave H

Mar 12, 2007
Perth, Scotland
I know the frustrations................ we all need door to door service, I do.
I can communte to work in 60 mins, with 30 mins stuck in traffic with others. alternative means would be be close to a 120min journey and at a more expensive cost including 3 different busses (two urban busses and a motorway bus) (Public transport generally takes you to central locations)

Our habits will need to change in years to come, for the time being we can afford to fill up, we have no choice. and the govt seem keen not to provide viable alternatives! So we will continue to pay ever increasing pump prices.... I think if it were at £2.00 per litre, i would still need to buy it :( and so would many thousands of motorists.

Last edited:

Fergal84

Aug 23, 2007
I know the frustrations................ we all need door to door service, I do.
I can communte to work in 60 mins, with 30 mins stuck in traffic with others. alternative means would be be close to a 120min journey and at a more expensive cost including 3 different busses (two urban busses and a motorway bus) (Public transport generally takes you to central locations)

Our habits will need to change in years to come, for the time being we can afford to fill up, we have no choice. and the govt seem keen not to provide viable alternatives! So we will continue to pay ever increasing pump prices.... I think if it were at £2.00 per litre, i would still need to buy it :( and so would many thousands of motorists.

For me to get to work from my girlfriends its a 10 minute drive, if i had to get the bus it would mean having to go into town and then get another bus, meaning well over an hour, and more or less 10 times more expensive, even from home its a 20 min drive, or a £6/ over an hour bus journey!

Unless prices dramatically fall on public transport i really do not envisage a time, in my present circumstances, when i could be pursuaded to use it, even if fuel costs got even more silly!

jb7_uk

not even an option for me to get to work, it's a 15 mile journey, but while the train/bus stop is within 5 min walk at the home end of the journey, i work in offices in abarn conversion out in the countryside, in the middle of nowhere... nearest train station is 5+ miles away (and would require at least 2 changes and to get to!), and the buses dont even run out this way, just not an option so until pub transport network improves significantly a 20 min car journey it is.

andy182

Gone up another 1p at my local shell. Up to 126.9 now, gone up 3p in 3 days

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
I don't mind paying higer prices for my fuel as long as EVERYONE else pays the same. They always turn around and blame the price of a barrel of oil, BS!!!!! If it was the soely the price of oil then why has diesel overtaken petrol and why don't other countries see this rise in a barrel of oil directly effect the price of fuel.

There is alot of myth about this planet running out of crude, i've seen no reports at all about the huge amount of oil they have found recently, if it's a 'green' thing then why is non of the tax from fuel going into R&D for better fuels, they have no other alternatives apart from Hydro cars which now turn out to be just as unhealthy as petrol/diesel.

It's simple - supply and demand, hence the HUGE increase in Diesel motors on the road now (at which point diesel started to rocket compaired with petrol), this could be just coincidence but lets face it this is no coincidence.

It doesnt even take a full barrel oil crude to make the same amount of fuel, just a small portion of it.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I agree to a certain extent Chris but the price of a barrel has doubled to $135.

Its like a combination of a lot of things...tax on the fuel here, garages/oil companies ripping us off/US recession...

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Apparently it takes slightly more of the raw crude to make diesel than to make petrol, hence the widening gap as the cost of a barrel increases. This alongside the fact that there is insufficient refining capacity to cope with the unexpected massive hike in diesel car ownership.

It still stinks though. I've taken to putting supermarket diesel in just to save a couple of pence per litre, and I HATE supermarket fuel... I'm driving like a nun too. What's the point of having a performance diesel and driving it like a nun?

I might sell up and get me one of those Ibiza 1.4TDIs.

*mutter*

sfalcus

Mar 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
barrel of oil has dropped 5$ today, lets see if the prices are down tomorrow???

last week easington shell garage was 117.9, it has increased by 1 or 2p every day and is now 124.9

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.