Price of diesel

Torquemonster

Nov 20, 2007
;) To save money on fuel costs.I was toying with the idea of buying a Toyota Aygo/Citroen C1/Puegeot 107.Insurance Group 1,and average 61mpg!.

But then i realised.People would point,and laugh.And i can't have that!.:redface: Hell will have to freeze over before the 130 Sport goes!.

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
I got done doing 53 in a 30. It was a about 100 yards before a 50 zone on a dual carrageway. 6 points and £250 fine. 3 years ago now. Won't get caught again!!
My old E reg xr2 costs me the same a week to run as my leon with fuel prices as they are unless i go on a good run then the Leon comes into its own, but for my normall 300 miles a week of 20 miles motorway each day and the rest mostly country roads the Fiesta costs the same in fuel to run.

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
;) To save money on fuel costs.I was toying with the idea of buying a Toyota Aygo/Citroen C1/Puegeot 107.Insurance Group 1,and average 61mpg!.

But then i realised.People would point,and laugh.And i can't have that!.:redface: Hell will have to freeze over before the 130 Sport goes!.

great minds think alike !! (though Mrs had to talk sense into me before i dropped the idea, v v v small boot on them though)

CupraSport

Mar 8, 2004
Bolton
Visit site
The price of diesel, I decied it was no longer econmicaly viable to differenciate between running a petrol or a diesel unless you are doing big miles. My tolly tdi sport according to the trip computer would not average more than 41 mpg granted on a long run it would do more than that but day to day economy not that great and with a 15p diference at the pumps I made the call to go back to petrol power. So a Leon cupra is on route :)... Yes I know my fuel costs will increase but with a £10 quid difference per fillup how big will this be????... I will post my results later on and lets see what happens.. I won't factor in the grin factor :)

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
Here is my economy spreadsheet for people to download and use:

Download Me Here!

I have done on the last tank......754.8miles or 57mpg which is pretty impressive.

I have been doing the usual techniques of keeping it moving, change up early etc and it has paid off. I know it doesn't make for the most exciting of driving but when its on the way to work I don't really care.

I do 60mph now on the A27 and listen to the music I want to listen to and I don't arrive any later in real terms and I arrive relaxed!

Space-Black

Jun 16, 2008
Northants
Exactly.

My Leon FR TDi:

0-60: 8.6s
Top Speed: 134mph
Advertised av: 52 MPG
Real world av: 50 MPG

A petrol car with similar 0-60 and top speed would get a real world average of about 34-36 MPG. Definately cheaper with a diesel, as long as you do more than about 8000 miles a year.

I get 500 miles to my tank without trying. Usually 550+. My current record stands at 650 miles to the tank but on my current fill up I'm getting 59.6 MPG and look like I'm gonna get easily over 700 to the tank. Not bad going for a £60 ish fill up.

Yeah, I think with my latest fill up I will end up getting about 700 miles to the tank. I'm hopeful, anyway!

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
i av 46 and wonder if this is poor against the 50+ most people see
will do a ecu reset tonight and see if that helps
i drive at 1500rpm about 55 on the clock so guess 50real on a-roads all way to work

cost me £70 to fill up from redlight the other day and i almost cried at the hit

[edit]
Noticed that local tesco had upped the price of diesel to 128.9
Why does unleaded never seem to rise in price?????
[/edit]

Last edited:

Space-Black

Jun 16, 2008
Northants
Noticed that local tesco had upped the price of diesel to 128.9
Why does unleaded never seem to rise in price?????

It does but not to the level of diesel. It's stupid because diesel is actually more environmentally friendly than petrol; most diesel cars have lower emissions than petrol and if the government is so hell bent on being green then why the hell do they charge us diesel drivers more? Because diesel always lasts longer and therefore we can afford to pay more because we fill up less often. A clever idea Mr Brown but us normal everyday drivers who don't have money to burn don't see it that way. We're doing what you ask, driving greener cars, and still we get penalised. Tell me, why do I live in this country still?

Jan 22, 2007
@space-black;
know exactly what you mean.
when i bought the car, diesel was chosen due to high miles and economy and that the price was in comparison to unleaded.
pay a little more, (5p back then), fill up less balanced it all out, but now it is plain stupid to drive. fullstop end of

brad1

the thing is, well to everyone, dont buy from bp or esso, the two main importers of fuel, if we dont buy from them, they will have to drop their prices, then so will the rest

skullmunki

Ding Ding Round 2!!!
Nov 12, 2006
I always find that round here Texaco, Esso and BP are miles more expensive than Shell (who are virtually the same price as supermarkets)

evoy2k2

May 30, 2007
Wolverhampton!
For some strange reason, diesel has dropped a penny to £130.9 around my area!! whoo hoooo wonder how much fuel ive actually gained from a 1p drop ha ha ha

Space-Black

Jun 16, 2008
Northants
I was told Esso supply many of the major supermarkets??

Oh right...I've been told that supermarket fuel comes from the bottom of the tanks and that's why it's cheaper - it's got the scum in it from laying on the bottom and it can cause problems like clogging up your fuel line. I don't know how much of this is true, it comes from the other half's mother who used to work at a Tesco petrol station, but it's like McDonalds employees tellings tales isn't it - you don't know what's true and what isn't. BUT....I'd rather be safe than sorry, and round here Esso is cheaper than most supermarkets, strangely enough.

Jan 22, 2007
i use tesco all the time and never had a single issue
i only use bp or esso or shell or jet if the need arises when out and about as generally they are more expensive than tesco
never use a motorway service station

must admit, my clubcard points are looking good with the fuel being more expensive