8bit's Mk1 Leon Cupra R. Scarlett - as in Johansson...

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Fair point lol :) Spoke to the garage this afternoon, they've sorted the oil leak and cleaned and reset the throttle body but said it wasn't revving properly until it had warmed up a bit so they're keeping it overnight to see what it's like from cold again tomorrow. This car is becoming a saga.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Well got her back from the garage, boost issue sorted and oil leak fixed. At least I think the boost issue is fixed, too much snow and ice around to boot it but it's certainly picking up like normal again.

Total cost = £72 inc. VAT. I was expecting about an hour's labour for clean/reset the TB and another one or two plus parts for the rocker gaskets and a fixed fee for scanning and resetting fault codes, optimistically hoping it would be under £200 so I was happy :)

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Not out the woods yet. EML came back on today :( Gonna get a cheap fault code reader until I can afford to get my own VAGCOM setup.

Feels better than before, it will boost but not every time. Occasionally it seems to build boost up really slowly, coming right off the throttle and right back on again seems to clear it. Had a look at the DV today and it seems to stick open sometimes when doing the finger over the vac pipe test. Reckon I'll order the 007 servicing kit from Forge, see if that helps.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Cheers bud :) Keep hoping one of these days I'll have seen the last of the problems for at least a good while. MOT due in Feb, if I'm still getting grief by then I reckon I'll be selling up and getting something else.

Thanks for that link, did think about that but isn't 409.1 quite an old version of VAGCOM? Other thing is I don't have my own laptop, just a desktop so would have to borrow my girlfriend's work laptop to use for VAGCOM, hence a basic fault code reader would be quite handy at least in the short term.

RDS

OEM+
Aug 11, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Cheers bud :) Keep hoping one of these days I'll have seen the last of the problems for at least a good while. MOT due in Feb, if I'm still getting grief by then I reckon I'll be selling up and getting something else.

Thanks for that link, did think about that but isn't 409.1 quite an old version of VAGCOM? Other thing is I don't have my own laptop, just a desktop so would have to borrow my girlfriend's work laptop to use for VAGCOM, hence a basic fault code reader would be quite handy at least in the short term.

It may be an old version but it should still allow you to read an clear fault codes :shrug: If you havnt got a laptop though its pointless.

I'm sure if you stick with it it'll all come good! hopefully sooner rather than later! after all they are great cars when they work! :D

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
It may be an old version but it should still allow you to read an clear fault codes :shrug: If you havnt got a laptop though its pointless.

I'm sure if you stick with it it'll all come good! hopefully sooner rather than later! after all they are great cars when they work! :D

Well right now the car owes me a lot, although to give it it's due it's only been to the point of not being able to drive it the once, when the sump got blocked with gunk and had to get it towed to the garage cos it wasn't safe to drive. The first six months were great though, hopefully this is the last of the troubles for some time at least. All plans for modding are currently on hold until I get some confidence back that the thing isn't going to fall apart on me.

Will see what this fault code reader says when it arrives, hopefully whatever's wrong will be an easy and cheap fix.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Got the fault code reader, just a basic one, go on the bay of E for "U281 code reader" if anyone's interested. The code that brought on the EML was "17705 - pressure drop between turbo and throttle" which I think is caused by the 007p DV sticking in the open position (at least it was doing that when very cold using the finger test). Two other codes came up tho relating to intake camshaft timing being out. If anyone subscribed to this thread could maybe help with this then I have a separate thread in the mk1 Leon section, see here - http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=296004

Any input would be much appreciated!

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Wee bit of good news for a nice change, the two codes relating to intake camshaft timing being out seem to have disappeared all by themselves (touch wood). Have done over 500 miles in the past week and they've not come back since last Thursday. Now to sort out my boost issue and MOT in February. Going to chuck my R32 front ARB in the boot when it goes for the MOT and if it's not too painful I'll get the garage to fit that while its' there...

RDS

OEM+
Aug 11, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Wee bit of good news for a nice change, the two codes relating to intake camshaft timing being out seem to have disappeared all by themselves (touch wood). Have done over 500 miles in the past week and they've not come back since last Thursday. Now to sort out my boost issue and MOT in February. Going to chuck my R32 front ARB in the boot when it goes for the MOT and if it's not too painful I'll get the garage to fit that while its' there...

Good stuff!

finally a bit of decent news!

:D

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Well looks like I've sorted the boost issue - the DV was still sticking. Serviced it a few weeks back cos it was sticking mostly in the open position. Was looking over the boost and vac hoses today to see if anything there was stopping the car boosting until about 3200rpm. Found nothing and out of desparation decided to check the DV again. It was very stiff to open and almost every time doing the push test it stayed open when removing the finger rather than snapping shut.

Put a good bit more grease into the O-rings this time and (touch wood) it seems OK again. Boost builds quickly but progressively from about 2000 - 2800 rpm, every time, every gear.

Now, going to just enjoy the car as it is, working and healthy again for a bit, but first it needs a bloody good wash...

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Good to hear you have sorted it fella. Think we all need to clean the cars..............mines a proper filthy $lut at the mo ;)

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Cheers mate, yeh know what you mean, there's something appealing about "Scarlett the filthy $lut" but not in this context!

One other wee job done today - sorted the standard issue leaky rear washer pipe. Took a bit of time to work out how to get the interior trim out the boot (three screws easy enough but it's clipped in to the other panels) but once I did I found the hose was almost completely out. Result? Dry boot carpet and now the washer jet almost reaches the rear spoiler so that's now better than it ever was.

Going to have to have a look at the wheel arch liners too tho, think at least one of them might have got dislodged by the snow as there's a scraping noise sometimes on full right lock. Not a major issue in the grand scheme of things tho...

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Cheers :) Yep as wayne says the earlier ones were called Flash Red, the later ones are called Emocion Red, which is slightly darker, richer shade than Flash. Never met anyone with a Flash Red car but would be interesting to put them side by side and get a shot with a good camera to really see the difference.

While I'm here, no real progress lately but have been enjoying being able to drive the car properly again (well as properly as I can, I'm far from a great driver) now that the weather's a bit better and the car is running well. This month will be sore, got road tax, MOT and insurance all due :( On the upside I'm going to get my R32 front ARB fitted while its' in the garage anyway so once that's on and I'll hopefully have some free funds after that, I'll be getting a rear one to go with it. Then to pick a remap...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.