Snow inevitably coming... need advice!

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
Just ask yourself how much ypur excess is. Lol

Yes the tyres make that much difference.

Side note it's worth informing your ins you have winters on as not all meet the speed rating the car should have. They won't charge but it stops them dumping the claim should you have a bump or be involved in one.

I'll be sticking winter tyres on mine and the Mrs car this yr now we're 4x4 less.

03cupra

May 18, 2010
Maidstone
2 years ago i bought a second set of wheels and fitted snow tyres, the difference is amazing. I have a 110 mile round trip to work and those tyres have paid for themselves in not missing out on overtime, or having to take time off because of not being able to get in.

The difference is night and day and anyone who can't afford to be at the mercy of the weather, be it 2 days a year or 2 months they are a must. Last year i fitted winter tyres rather than snow tyres and they were more useable in other conditions, snow tyres are pretty poor in the wet etc

pel

Jun 23, 2013
Auto express did a good video on youtube about the benefits of winter tyres, cant post a link because I havent got enough posts. Definitely worth a watch

Pete236

Oct 5, 2013
I guess it does depend a little on where you live and work. I live at the highest point for miles around, I work in the middle of nowhere. No which way I drive to work, there's massive hills in the way. Either very long drags, or short sharp climbs. If I go on the main roads, the lorries and the yummy mummies on the school run get suck and block it up for hours. The back lanes are iffy but doable... My dad has a focus cmax, and the drive is quite a steep climb out, so is our road. He barely makes it, and his tyres are more sensible than the Fr's! I'm not so fussed about getting stuck at work..my favourite pub is a 2min walk away and the sexiest barmaid you'll ever see has a room upstairs ;-)

greenybobs

Jun 29, 2011
Burnley
Had winters fitted for the first time last year. What a difference! I live in a Northern town with northern weather and although it wasn't as bad last year as previous ones had been they still had their work cut out for them. Never faltered once!! And believe me they were tried. A real must if you know you have to take the car in crappy conditions.

Although I'm sure they perform better when you only pay £100 for a full set like new! Man I love a deal! :D

csundika

If in doubt, flat out!
Sep 18, 2013
Banbury
Does anyone know if it's worth buying winter tyres for the front ones and the back ones, or leave the back ones out and just put 2 for the front as it's a front drive anyway? :D

lmiller

Boost Junkie!
Aug 9, 2011
South East Kent
Does anyone know if it's worth buying winter tyres for the front ones and the back ones, or leave the back ones out and just put 2 for the front as it's a front drive anyway? :D

Apparently its dangerous to just do front 2 as it will mean the rear has no braking causing you to slide out etc.

csundika

If in doubt, flat out!
Sep 18, 2013
Banbury
Apparently its dangerous to just do front 2 as it will mean the rear has no braking causing you to slide out etc.

Yeah was thinking the same, would rather spend more money on tires then crashing and having to pay for even more damage then the money I would have saved by only buying 2 tyres.

oc1sup

Oct 16, 2013
Near Milton Keynes
Pete236, in case you hadn't found this yet (info from the AA):

Winter tyres in Germany

The rules in Germany changed at the end of 2010 - regulations now require all passenger cars and motorbikes including vehicles from foreign countries to be fitted with winter tyres or all season tyres on all axles when conditions are wintery.

If your vehicle becomes stuck during the winter months because the tyres are unsuitable you will be liable to an on the spot fine in Germany. If the vehicle causes an obstruction and aggravation to other traffic, the fine may be doubled. You may also be prevented from continuing your journey.

Hope you don't get stuck...

lmiller

Boost Junkie!
Aug 9, 2011
South East Kent
Thats it, I found 4 winter tyres for my 18's for £235 on fleabay. My excess is more than that lol. I have 2 kids also so safety is number 1 in my books. They will be going on end of oct and coming off end of march time.

GTTIM

Mar 22, 2005
Im glad some others have posted about not mixing winter tyres and normal 'summer' types. Recipe for disaster that!

Option 1) Make do with summer type tyres all year and just accept the bad weather and drive very carefully.

Option 2) Get some decent all weather types that will give you OKish performance (not really the answer for LCR) in most scenarios (braking seems to be the big area of loss over normal summer type tyres - although obviously all areas suffer)

Option 3) The best answer really (cost aside). Get another set of wheels and stick some decent Winter boots on. As others have stated once the temp heads below 7/8 degrees C then they they start to outperform a std summer type (due to the tyre compound). This means you could probably have them on the car for 5ish months of the year (annual variations allowing)

fr 150 boy

Jul 10, 2007
port talbot,south wales
Really? I think thats bollocks surely. I think that insurance company got away with murder there!

It is bollocks

No it's not, he hit his mk4 golf into a ditch & the insurance company said because there's a red alert issued then he was not covered!
Maybe you think "it's bollocks" or not it did happen,so i dont care if there's snow tyres or winter tyres,i will have my company to get my back & fourth to work & not risk smashing my cars up & checking the small print of my insurance company.
Remember one thing, insurance companys are there to make money & try not to lose money!

lmiller

Boost Junkie!
Aug 9, 2011
South East Kent
No it's not, he hit his mk4 golf into a ditch & the insurance company said because there's a red alert issued then he was not covered!
Maybe you think "it's bollocks" or not it did happen,so i dont care if there's snow tyres or winter tyres,i will have my company to get my back & fourth to work & not risk smashing my cars up & checking the small print of my insurance company.
Remember one thing, insurance companys are there to make money & try not to lose money!

It wouldn't suprise me if a few insurance companies had this writted into the policy but after a good google sesh at work I have not found another case where someone was refused insurance after a crash in the snow. I don't doubt you are wrong, he must have been very unlucky. I shall be confirming with my insurance company if red alerts effect my policy.

I will also be informing them of my tyre change just incase they get funny about that aswel!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise