FR Front Bumper - Honeycomb Grille (Lower) / Bumper Removal

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
As per the title really:

A truck tyre blow out caused shredded tyre to smash the lower grille section and the offside air duct behind it.

I have managed to order all of the parts required from TPS; however, has anyone removed the front bumper?

The design is slightly different to all of my previous VAG cars - I can see the torx screws in the arches and underside, but I can only see some tang fasteners at the top of the bumper and the 4 x plastic press rivets holding the dust covers on top of the upper grille section.

Any advice or pics would be greatly welcome.

Thanks in advance.:help:

andy_l

Dec 22, 2013
This extract from the workshop manual might help:

- Remove cover of the lock carrier -2-; for this purpose use a flange screwdriver; turn the rivet heads -1- by 90° to the left and then pull them out with the lever

3723b28bfd502eb7fbf0b032b8def252.jpg

- Unscrew the bolts -4-, -5- and -6-.
- Undo the screws -2- and -3- from both sides.
- Release the trim from the bumper. For this, pull both edges from both sides to unclip the trim panel from the guide -Arrow-.

2650430142c37c386234bdfebf86b7fa.jpg

Before completely removing the trim of the bumper:

- Clip out and remove the plug connector of the parking aid sender.
- Clip out and remove the plug connector of the fog light.

Vehicles with headlight washers only:

- Place the drip tray under the washer fluid reservoir.
- Detach the line -1- from the clip -2- of the plenum chamber for the headlight washer system.
- Detach clip -3- from the pump for the headlight washer system.

3ca7ac3e07131d20ef71a4d70ad5ec70.jpg

HTH,

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Andy - thank you very much! I had the ETKA diagrams but even with these the techs at the local dealership were not too sure how to do the removal. Do you have a link to the Wksp diagrams?

For anyone else attempting this, in the first diagram the item highlighted in blue (2) has some very weak plastic tangs on the underside. Even with careful removal with trim tool a couple of these tangs have snapped off - obviously the plastic rivets hold this in place but a new part is only £11 ish incl vat.

andy_l

Dec 22, 2013
Andy - thank you very much! I had the ETKA diagrams but even with these the techs at the local dealership were not too sure how to do the removal. Do you have a link to the Wksp diagrams?

Glad they were useful. I don't think the workshop manuals are available free anywhere - I purchased access to erWin to get them legitimately. Alternatively you could have a look for elsaWin on a certain auction site although the information is not as current.

andy_l

Dec 22, 2013
Is the bumper removal guide much the same for the cupra 280? Been planning on taking my bumper off for a while now to get my front splitter wrapped!

From the manual it looks like the CUPRA front bumper removal is no different to the standard or FR spec item. YMMV..

However, I don't think the bumper needs to come off to remove the lower spoiler.

andy_l

Dec 22, 2013
It's the front grill I want off to wrap it properly rather than wrapping up to it?

Ah fair enough, in which case the bumper needs to come off. Looks like the lower grill is 'just' clipped into place, whilst the upper grill also has a couple of screws on the bottom corners.

Upper Grill:

– Undo the screws -1- and -3- from both sides.
– Cut (? lever) away clips -2- and -4-.
– Cut (? lever) away the central clip -Arrow-.
– Remove the top grille -6- from the bumper trim panel -5-.

94df17c4efa95bd7c4d594677aa3df50.jpg

Lower Grill:

– Undo the fixings -1-, beginning in one corner and remove the
bottom centre grille -2-.

53ca1a50119a639d6cd36784e1bd8ebf.jpg

Last edited:

christoff1

Jul 24, 2014
Glasgow
Ah fair enough, in which case the bumper needs to come off. Looks like the lower grill is 'just' clipped into place, whilst the upper grill also has a couple of screws on the bottom corners.

Upper Grill:

– Undo the screws -1- and -3- from both sides.
– Cut (? lever) away clips -2- and -4-.
– Cut (? lever) away the central clip -Arrow-.
– Remove the top grille -6- from the bumper trim panel -5-.

94df17c4efa95bd7c4d594677aa3df50.jpg

Lower Grill:

– Undo the fixings -1-, beginning in one corner and remove the
bottom centre grille -2-.

53ca1a50119a639d6cd36784e1bd8ebf.jpg
Ideal mate thanks for the info!

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
is there anything in the workshop manual about how the bumper fits this area marked in red
as my bumper does not align 100% on the passenger side wing.

anyc9h.jpg

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
is there anything in the workshop manual about how the bumper fits this area marked in red
as my bumper does not align 100% on the passenger side wing.

anyc9h.jpg

andy_l

Dec 22, 2013
There is a plastic guide profile which screws into the end of the wing and the bumper clips into this profile. If the bumper is clipped in correctly and there is still a poor fit, I would ask the dealer to take a look next time your car is in. Allowable panel gap in this area is 0.3mm +/-0.2mm.

91e63c2d313b65584addb4f1314f25b1.jpg

Last edited:

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
There is a plastic guide profile which screws into the end of the wing and the bumper clips into this profile. If the bumper is clipped in correctly and there is still a poor fit, I would ask the dealer to take a look next time your car is in. Allowable panel gap in this area is 0.3mm +/-0.2mm.

many thanks

is there anyway to adjust that plastic profile , would it be safe to undo those two bolts without losing a clip into the wing ?

andy_l

Dec 22, 2013
You can't get at those screws without taking off the entire front bumper, which is a whole ton of work and risk of breaking something. As for the plastic spreader clips the guide profile screws into, it looks like they fit from the bumper side so shouldn't fall inside the wing.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
You can't get at those screws without taking off the entire front bumper, which is a whole ton of work and risk of breaking something. As for the plastic spreader clips the guide profile screws into, it looks like they fit from the bumper side so shouldn't fall inside the wing.

maybe if you loosend around the wheel arch and uncliped it , taking the whole thing off might not be needed.

slightly out ,
f1xelz.jpg

Last edited:

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london

do you have a part number for that plastic guide profile that fits on the drivers side ?

andy_l

Dec 22, 2013
do you have a part number for that plastic guide profile that fits on the drivers side ?

The workshop manual does not include part numbers, however there are a number of websites which provide free parts catalogue information although not all are up-to-date. PartsBase.org seems to have the Leon Mk3 5F catalogue data.

Since you did not specify whether the car is LHD or RHD:

5F0807049 - guide profile; left
5F0807050 - guide profile; right

Cheers,

Andy

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
The workshop manual does not include part numbers, however there are a number of websites which provide free parts catalogue information although not all are up-to-date. PartsBase.org seems to have the Leon Mk3 5F catalogue data.

Since you did not specify whether the car is LHD or RHD:

5F0807049 - guide profile; left
5F0807050 - guide profile; right

Cheers,

Andy

many thanks

rhd car , so i assume it would be the left one , if you are facing the front

andy_l

Dec 22, 2013
many thanks

rhd car , so i assume it would be the left one , if you are facing the front

My understanding is that parts handing is based upon you seated in the car, looking forward. So in this instance you would need the righthand part.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.