Power dip in 184 TDI

DaFoot

Jun 16, 2014
Sheffield
www.dafoot.co.uk
I've noticed occasionally a slight, momentary, dip in power when driving my Leon.

Only lasts for half a second, feels almost like something slips either in the engine or between the engine and the wheels.

It's not a full power loss, doesn't seem to affect driving in a big way.

I've not yet been able to work out a consistent pattern to when it happens.

Anyone had anything similar in their mk3 184 diesel?

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Yes. Once or twice and at low speeds. It felt exactly the same as when my mechatronic unit went on the DSG box, on my Octavia (bit like a learner driver kangarooing)

EDIT: I have a manual BTW

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I've noticed occasionally a slight, momentary, dip in power when driving my Leon.

Only lasts for half a second, feels almost like something slips either in the engine or between the engine and the wheels.

It's not a full power loss, doesn't seem to affect driving in a big way.

I've not yet been able to work out a consistent pattern to when it happens.

Anyone had anything similar in their mk3 184 diesel?

Any chance it is the traction control kicking in ?

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
I used to feel this on the old CR170 (CEGA) during a passive dpf regeneration. Not every time but now and again.

Ryanoceros

Mar 12, 2012
Newcastle
Yeah I used to get it during re gens as well in my old 1.6 tdi mk2.

Edit. Use to mainly happen in first and second at low speeds.

Last edited:

Ryanoceros

Mar 12, 2012
Newcastle
On tickover the revs will be at 1000 rpm instead of 700/800 rpm. Also the fan might be running and if you put the heaters on you will more than likely get a smell like burning diesel wafting through.

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
Happens occasionally but haven't bothered mentioning it to the dealers - is a bit of a pain though.

Deleted member 98690

Power Dip - Fault codes

My first post, so be gentle.

I have also suffered this power dip fault which went from barely perceptible and then one day I had a yellow flashing ECU fault and car went into 'limp mode'. Called Seat Assist and AA guy read the fault codes as boost pressure and intake air leak.

He reset the fault codes, car now running OK and fault has not yet recurred. However, he thought it probably would. Seat will not be interested unless fault code showing.

There appears to be an issue with some low (?) boost pressure sensors in the VW TDi engine.

My car is 12 months old with 6000 mile and just had it's Seat service. I wondered if an 'update' during the service has any relevance. The job sheet doesn't show any updates.

Marsh

Leon FR 184

shadak

Feb 13, 2014
I had this happen about 2 or 3 times in a year, it was maybe less than half a second, just a momentary hick up and I think all of them were while driving around 90mph on a highway in 7th. Im on 1.8T. It didnt even lose any speed, no idea what it could be.

DaFoot

Jun 16, 2014
Sheffield
www.dafoot.co.uk

I have also suffered this power dip fault which went from barely perceptible and then one day I had a yellow flashing ECU fault and car went into 'limp mode'. Called Seat Assist and AA guy read the fault codes as boost pressure and intake air leak.

He reset the fault codes, car now running OK and fault has not yet recurred. However, he thought it probably would. Seat will not be interested unless fault code showing.

Did AA man give you any choice or just go ahead and reset them to shut them up?

Feels like it's treating the symptom rather actually fixing the issue. Given mine is under warranty I'd rather get it to a garage to get warranty work done.

Welcome to the site BTW :D

Last edited:

Deleted member 98690

I believe he meant to save the codes but deleted them in error. Only afterwards did I realise that I now have to get it to happen again, probably in a less convenient location/occasion before I call Seat Assist again.

My car is the diesel, so I don't know if it is relevant to the petrol turbo sensors (see shadak). Also my hesitation occurred at low speed (25-30mph in 3rd or 4th).

Deleted member 98690

I should have added that the fault is unlikely to be related to the DPF since the car had a recent motorway run and the tick-over was around 800rpm rather than 1000.

EoinM

I get this while driving the odd time. It I am using the throttle, ease off slightly and then apply it again it can happen. I dont think it's the dpf - I can replicate it on one particular corner without fail each time. Its a corner in a built up area where if I keep it in third instead of dropping to second it will hesitate when I apply the throttle going down the hill out of it.

Year old, three services in and no software update has rectified it.

Last edited:

pvm1234567890

Mar 10, 2015
Meath, Ireland
My new 184 arrives in a little under a month - you guys have me a bit concerned now. I had an MG ZT CDTi a few years ago with a BMW diesel engine, to which this kind of problem happened occasionally. Eventually the engine lunched its injectors ...

I'll keep an eye out for symptoms described in this thread, let you know how I get on, but as I said, the car isn't here yet.

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
My 184hp TDI FR does this...
Only had it a few wks & its only done 5000miles but when in either 3rd or 2nd gear again going around a corner or down a hill & then you accelerate at lowish revs it randomly does it then its fine again ??

Come on folks anyone know 100% what this is ?? it looks like its very common

I will mention it to Dealer but there 47m away from me & I aint up there way v often.

Whats the story with the higher revs & this regen & fan running when engine off?
Should I restart the engine & leave it on tick over or just stop it as normal ?

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Whats the story with the higher revs & this regen & fan running when engine off?

When the car is doing a regen - the tickover rises to 1000rpm rather than the normal 800rpm when stationary.

If you finish your trip and a regen is still happening - when you turn off the car - you will hear the fans still running to cool down the engine bay.

If you interrupt too many regens by switching the car off - eventually the light will come on warning you that you need to go for a run to complete a regen cycle.

The fastest way to do a regen is to drive at a steady pace, above 40mph with engine rpm around 2200

If you ignore the warning light - eventually the dpf becomes too blocked to self regen and it needs a dealer visit ( or someone with VCDS ) to do a forced regen.
This is not covered under warranty and is normally a chargeable service ( some dealers will do the first one free but not all )

Last edited:

twitchynik

Sep 12, 2006
My 184hp TDI FR does this...
Only had it a few wks & its only done 5000miles but when in either 3rd or 2nd gear again going around a corner or down a hill & then you accelerate at lowish revs it randomly does it then its fine again ??

Come on folks anyone know 100% what this is ?? it looks like its very common

I will mention it to Dealer but there 47m away from me & I aint up there way v often.

I get the same. I see/feel it when changing between 2nd and 3rd. I can almost repeat it a specific junction (roundabout). Always when between 2nd and 3rd but not every shift.

I would say more often when holding neutral throttle in 2nd and the box decides its time to shift up and then there is this sort of lag/dip in performance. Most disconcerting when you give it some toe and there is this loss of power/drive.

Can't say I've seen it in Sports mode and of late I've pottering about in Eco mode.

Not sure on revs at the time it happens but it's not high, perhaps around 2000.

My suspicion is the gears shift just below engine speed when turbo starts to have an effect. Would go some way to explain why I've not seen it in Sport mode - the gears are held for longer and you're not in that grey area of boost and performance vs economy.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.