Cupra 280 center muffler delete

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
I'd say there is no drone.. Well, around 1400 rpm there's an increase of deep low frequency exhaust sound. Some could describe it as drone.
If I say It like this, my gf haven't noticed that Ive changed something with the exhaust... And she's picky.. Her spontaneous reaction when I told her the difference between cupra 280 and 290 is, "ok so they ruined the car"..

Sent using my fingers

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
I think it's important to separate the middle silencer from the resonator.
6fcf97df32c977b1d5b8d4358dd6f981.jpg

I replaced 1 and 2 with 2a which came from a 2015 Golf GTI PP.

The tone is deeper between 1000-2000 rpm. No drone at all as the resonator is still intact. The exhaust pops/farts are louder and you can still here it pop going Wot and shift 4th to 5th near redline.

The job is a diy if you have the option to cut the OEM exhaust and then use a clamp to hold the two sections together again. If not you can leave it to any garage for the fitting.

Sent using my fingers

Hi there have you got a part number for the golf exhaust pipe.

Thanks.

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
The "teiliekatalog" I've been using have been shut down. The new one only shows the previous generation.

Search Google for "teiliekatalog Volkswagen".

Sent using my fingers

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
Looks like on the ST you don't get the centre silencer so i wont be needing the gold pipe.

Has anyone done the front triangle silencer delete on a ST estate, i would like to know how it sounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
You mean part 3 in above post (the one with picture of the St exhaust)?
That's the resonator. You'd get an idea if you search the tube for Gti mk7 resonator delete.

Sent using my fingers

jip

Feb 5, 2016
Sweden
www.youtube.com
Looks like on the ST you don't get the centre silencer so i wont be needing the gold pipe.

Has anyone done the front triangle silencer delete on a ST estate, i would like to know how it sounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dont rememeber where I read it, but Kurt is going to do a video of the MSD (resonator delete) on the white ST 280 in this movie, I believe its in another thread on the forum.

youtube.com/watch?v=AuX4JdVH3q4

SupaCupra

Apr 7, 2016
For anyone thinking of doing this, I wouldn't get your hopes up that your car will sound identical to the 290 - I've had it done and although it makes a slight difference, you won't get that snap/crackle/pop sound when you let off the accelerator and the gear change DSG farts aren't that much louder imho.

Must be something in the 290's map which makes the difference.

jip

Feb 5, 2016
Sweden
www.youtube.com
For anyone thinking of doing this, I wouldn't get your hopes up that your car will sound identical to the 290 - I've had it done and although it makes a slight difference, you won't get that snap/crackle/pop sound when you let off the accelerator and the gear change DSG farts aren't that much louder imho.

That's really nice feedback, thanks!

ESS

Jan 11, 2016

Could you do me a video of it please if you would be so kind.

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
The back box on a 3-5 door car is different to the ST this may be why you dont get the crackles and pops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SupaCupra

Apr 7, 2016
Don't get me wrong, the sound of the exhaust has changed, it's a lot deeper, it actually makes noise now haha, unlike before.

It just doesn't sound the same as the 290's which I've seen on YouTube. I'll try and get a video for you :)

shadak

Feb 13, 2014

The cracks and pops when I let off the throttle are a bit of a mystery to me. My 290 did it couple of times after getting of a motorway, it was under a heavy load for a longer time and when I lifted off at around 4,5k RPM it started doing it.... Now when I test it in town Im not able to reproduce it :( anyone knows what the conditions are for this?

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
The cracks and pops when I let off the throttle are a bit of a mystery to me. My 290 did it couple of times after getting of a motorway, it was under a heavy load for a longer time and when I lifted off at around 4,5k RPM it started doing it.... Now when I test it in town Im not able to reproduce it :( anyone knows what the conditions are for this?
Above 4000 rpm and lift off for pops and cracks.

The exhaust sound should be the same with the center muffler deleted. The pops and cracks the 290 have is pure software. Unfortunately nothing an 280 will get.

Sent using my fingers

shadak

Feb 13, 2014
Above 4000 rpm and lift off for pops and cracks.

The exhaust sound should be the same with the center muffler deleted. The pops and cracks the 290 have is pure software. Unfortunately nothing an 280 will get.

Sent using my fingers

Ive been trying to do that but for the last couple of days on occasions while driving it didnt happen once. Going to do a test this afternoon.

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
Ive been trying to do that but for the last couple of days on occasions while driving it didnt happen once. Going to do a test this afternoon.

Thanks dont want to get it done if its not worth it

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.