I have a big problem with my Leon FR

its_bestie

Apr 25, 2016
Having run my previous car into the ground, and being an avid Honda user, I decided to bite the bullet and bought a 6 month old Leon FR TDI 186.

Now this is where my problem lies.

I can't stop driving it.

My wife thought the novelty would wear off after a week or so. However, I am now 2 months down the line and it hasn't.

I keep finding excuses just to take it out for a spin.

"What's that? We've run out of milk? I'll go and get some."

"Kids need picking up? I'll go."

"Oh look. The Sun's come up. I'll have to take the car out."

What should I do??

FRoSTy

Mar 26, 2016
I hate mine.

Driving on the motorway for hours at a time in 50mph zones.

Being stuck in traffic, queuing among the crowds.

Following the rush hour vans and school run traffic.

Speed bumps.

It's like a caged animal at the zoo.

Mine is literally running on two cylinders most the time! (ACT)

Need to find some back roads and freedom!

Last edited:

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Ah, the curse of the Leon, accept that it's here to stay and help me in my quest to use up all this nasty fossil fuel stuff as soon as possible, then we can all sit in self driving electric boxes, all doing the same speed, in the same direction and all wearing the same expression ☹️
I've just depressed myself, off for a blast to cheer myself up

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

toledoChris

Jul 20, 2004
I feel bad, my wife and I share a 2013 330d and a mk3 184, given the choice it's the BMW every time because of the power and overall feel of it. That said I've done about 19,000 miles in the Leon over the last 12 months and do enjoy driving it but another 100bhp would be nice, it probably wouldn't get 60 mpg if that were the case though.

weirdkerr

Nov 24, 2013
Morayshire
I know the feeling, I have a road trip over the west coast in mine in 2 weeks 3 nights Inverary and Argyll, then popping to Edinburgh for a couple of nights.....

Geobob

Jan 9, 2016
Leon 1.4 ACT FR vs Audi A5 2.0 Tdi Sportback S-Line. I prefer driving the Leon, the only time I think the Audi is a nicer place to be is on the motorway, and even that is marginal.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I know the feeling, I have a road trip over the west coast in mine in 2 weeks 3 nights Inverary and Argyll, then popping to Edinburgh for a couple of nights.....

I've got a road trip in mine too. Leaving for Croatia on the 15th of July and after 6 nights there, driving to Hungary for a week and then back to Milton Keynes. I've promised the wife we go on a plane next year haha

ozz

Oct 21, 2012
I feel bad, my wife and I share a 2013 330d and a mk3 184, given the choice it's the BMW every time because of the power and overall feel of it. That said I've done about 19,000 miles in the Leon over the last 12 months and do enjoy driving it but another 100bhp would be nice, it probably wouldn't get 60 mpg if that were the case though.

If you're getting 60mpg out of it, you DO have another 100BHP to play with :D

Last edited:

weirdkerr

Nov 24, 2013
Morayshire
I've got a road trip in mine too. Leaving for Croatia on the 15th of July and after 6 nights there, driving to Hungary for a week and then back to Milton Keynes. I've promised the wife we go on a plane next year haha

:-o Blimey that's a long trip.... (would be longer from where I am, up in the far north of Scotland near Inverness) I would love to take the car to the Alps or maybe Pyrenees.... if my mileage allowance is ok ...

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire

My sister lives near Inverary and so spent many happy hours driving around the roads of Argyll in my Leon FR 1.8tsi. I took it right up to Uig on the Isle of Skye and over to the Western Isles 3 years ago when it was new. A great car to drive over those empty winding roads.
Now it's just coming up to 3 years old and the big decision as to whether to keep it a bit longer or have a new one. I love it so much that I'm going to have another but this time try a DSG version. Will probably have another 1.8tsi but I'm getting more and more tempted by the 1.4 ACT.

shadak

Feb 13, 2014
My sister lives near Inverary and so spent many happy hours driving around the roads of Argyll in my Leon FR 1.8tsi. I took it right up to Uig on the Isle of Skye and over to the Western Isles 3 years ago when it was new. A great car to drive over those empty winding roads.
Now it's just coming up to 3 years old and the big decision as to whether to keep it a bit longer or have a new one. I love it so much that I'm going to have another but this time try a DSG version. Will probably have another 1.8tsi but I'm getting more and more tempted by the 1.4 ACT.

Ive had 1.8 dsg for 2 years and just got a 290 3 weeks ago.. such a good car for the money! (Very cheap in our country - cost me 19500 gbp new with some options). My trip to the office is now 15mins longer every day just because I want to drivr it more :)

mnmraine

Jun 16, 2014
I'm glad I'm not the only one I recently bought a 2012 supercopa and always make excuses to take it out, it drives my husband crazy cos if I'm not driving it, I'm spending hours cleaning and detailing it.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
Ive had 1.8 dsg for 2 years and just got a 290 3 weeks ago.. such a good car for the money! (Very cheap in our country - cost me 19500 gbp new with some options). My trip to the office is now 15mins longer every day just because I want to drivr it more :)

where do you live that you can get a new Cupra 290 for £19500?
Can I come and live there?

Rob McCool

Sep 15, 2009
Birkenhead
I love my FR 184,it`s a lot quicker and more refined than my previous car (FR 170) .I was considering a DTUK unit but it`s probably quick enough as it is!:)

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I love my FR 184,it`s a lot quicker and more refined than my previous car (FR 170) .I was considering a DTUK unit but it`s probably quick enough as it is!:)

You think it's an animal now, get the box and the true beast is unleashed. Well that's how I felt from when I got my 184 to when I added the DTUK box

IMC

Feb 4, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
I get it, got mine about a month now, not only I enjoy the driving. I literally slow down every time I see the reflection........

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
Always happy to take (my wife's) FR 1.8 tsi instead of my own car, which has double the power.

Despite being slower the Leon is more fun, it feels light & agile, like a hot hatch from decades ago. It has enough power to always keep you smiling, but not so much that you can't use it without doing insane speeds and makes a very addictive noise in sport at high revs.

Has taught me a lesson in car buying.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise