Lucifer's ultimate guide: 1.4tsi fundamental problems

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Seeing as you are not getting any answers, I'll stick my neck out - again - and say that all these original problems will be history, for two reasons, firstly, the revised TwinCharger 1.4 engine sorted these issues out and secondly, I'm guessing here that you are asking questions about the Turbo charged 1.4 engine, the task of providing big power to these cars has been handed over to the 1.8 Turbo charged engine and the idea of down sizing to 1.4 to get that power has been dropped for now!

nibaru

Aug 15, 2016
Worksop Notts
Yes, I'm looking at the 1.4 TSI turbo and not the turbo/supercharged version. Do they still have the aluminium block or are they now cast iron?

Thanks for your reply

AlexTSI

Jul 22, 2016
4. Timing Chain

The timing chain system is a known fault. The part that fails is the hydraulic tensioner which uses oil pressure to tension the chain. The cases that I am aware of have been when engines are running fine before being switched off, then not able to be turned over again. Having had direct information from a major race engine builder in the UK, this problem has occurred mostly after an oil change.

When the oil has been dropped and the car left over the pit until the sump is dry, the tensioner ends up being empty with no pressure on the chain, this is worse if an engine flush has been used. Upon starting the engine it will take some seconds before oil pressure inside it has been re-established and thus during cranking the chain is slack giving it an opportunity to jump. The older and more worn the timing chain, the more likely it is to jump.

There is no update or new part for this problem

Solution:

Regular services, ideally every 5-10k with the best oil you can afford that is 0W-40. If
not, 10W-40. Also when doing servicing, fill the oil filter up with oil before fitting and
don’t allow the sump to drain dry during the emptying phase of the oil change. Once it
starts trickling, put the sump plug back in and fill the engine with new oil.

Important question here, please about recommendation of oil for the mentioned 1.4 TSI
Why 0W-40 and not 0W-30 - for that matter? And why not 5W30 - whic is the VW / SEAT official spec recommandation ?

Thanks a lot

PART NUMBERS

I will be updating this section soon to include all the up to date part numbers and I will highlight the ones essential to solve the problems above or needed for tuning.

Can someone update this section instead of Mark, please? Part-numbers are important for determining the correct upgrades / uprated parts.
Thanks

Last edited:

KieranFR

Oct 12, 2016
God damn 1.4 twincharged engines!!

Hi all,

So I just received my 1.4 TSI FR DSG back - one of the stupidly weak pistons decided to crack on me. All in all cost the best part of £1600 :cry:

Debating what to do next if someone would help me...

I'm looking into fitting an aftermarket exhaust, however after thoroughly reading Lucifer's guide I can't get my head around the turbo / back pressure relating to exhaust pressures? Was Lucifer saying aftermarket exhausts are a good thing and strongly recommends doing so or completely avoiding due to uneven pressures ? Not sure whether to look into downpipe exhausts, straight through system, backbox or just keeping everything standard. Would be greatful if someone could help me out!

Also looking into getting an intercooler however can't find a decent price for less than £300 inc. piping and what not.

Last edited:

Mattrainbird

Nov 17, 2016
Please help!!

I bought my 2011 cupra used and approved from seat in July and instantly noticed occasional misfiring, rough idles occasionally, and excessive oil usage. In denial I bought a 2.7" non resonated exhaust from milltek which immediately made my oil consumption worse. About 4 weeks ago the water pump went and its been in seat getting fixed ever since. I mentioned the other problems and asked them to investigate because I felt it was related (even though I'd taken it to a dealer when I noticed the problems and they basically took it round the corner and back and said it was fine) since then they've said the oil consumption is too much but not bad enough to warrant an engine change. And that they would change some breather hoses, oil injectors and an induction hose which are supposed to help the problem. It's only done 38,000 miles. Can someone shed some light on this? I've removed the exhaust for warranty purposes and sold it now anyway but will I be able to run another exhaust without it effecting the car again? Is there anything else I can do to iron these issues out? Or is there a serious underlying problem that Seat are denying? Could I potentially be entitled to a refund or replacement? I notified My local Seat dealer about the issues within 2 months of ownership and they didn't take it seriously and told me everything was fine. I asked for a compression test and they refused. ( not the dealer I purchased the car from ) Please help

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Any half decent garage should be able to do a compression test.
Ideally you want a leak down test doing as well, as that can help identify valve issues.
Alot of places also have boroscopes, letting you see things like carbon build-up and then take an image that you can put to Seat demonstrating your car having issues.

Have you made sure your Cupra has the recommended plugs, ECU software, fuel pump and all the guff??

Last edited:

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
Which one

guys this is a fantastic thread and I very much want a 1.4tsi 180 engine whether this is in the Skoda/VW or Seat platform I haven't decided. My question is with all these problems, which year of car if any is without al these engine faults?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Surely if you know roughly about all the issues that did or can cause problems with the 1.4 twin charger engines, either the early versions or the later versions, then you should plan should be to avoid buying a car with one fitted. So that leaves buying a modern 1.4TSI (ie not twin charger) and maybe get it remapped, or do what VW group have done and wait and get one with the 1.8 engine?

Last edited:

AlexTSI

Jul 22, 2016
Can someone address my oil question above, please?

Also, the "updated parts number" section would be cool to get a refresh / update, someday
Calling out lucifer666 for this

Thanks a lot, good luck to you all :)

AlexTSI

Jul 22, 2016
I don't think anyone can move on from a Twincharged. Way to fascinating engine... :D

rawcpoppa

Dec 18, 2013
Lol! Don't get me wrong. I love mine too but...wow so many things apart from the twinchargers can go wrong with respect to the gearbox that one may say "sigh". My dq200 has a problem with the synchromesh for third gear.

Last edited:

rawcpoppa

Dec 18, 2013
Can be knowledgeable but at some point it gets to be too many things repaired and replaced. Part of the fun is knowing you can access the performance of your car at any time. I'm heading towards leaving vw group at this point. It's unfortunate because these cars are fun to drive and practical.