Headlight brightness

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Good that you got it sorted. Sorry to hijack thread although it is headlight brightness related. Currently have mk2 fr and looking at mk3 fr or cupra. Opinions on LEDs seem to vary considerably from very poor to best headlights ever . Is it just down to settings? Expect there should be improvement against current mk2 halogens? Maybe I just need to test! Difficult to time test drive to be dark wet foggy and sunny simultaneously;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Currently have mk2 fr and looking at mk3 fr or cupra. Opinions on LEDs seem to vary considerably from very poor to best headlights ever . Is it just down to settings? Expect there should be improvement against current mk2 halogens?

I wondered that too, how there is such a variation from people, everything from crap to totally amazing, maybe it's to do with how people's eyes interpret the light spectrum , their age or maybe the PWM of the leds as that effects some people and not others.

For me personally they are a vast improvement ofer the candle like output on the mk2 :)

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
LEDs are better than halogens, but probably not as good as Bi-Xenons, at least in the Seat incarnation.
I think this is to do with the actual number of LEDs in the units. I believe I read on here somewhere that Seat use maybe 23, but Audi have 37....something of that order.
They emit a very white light, but don't seem to throw as long a beam. Guess that's something you can adjust with the adjusting screw. But you have to watch dazzle, and the settings test in an MOT.
My old E-Class had Bi-Xenons, and the lights were better than my Leon with LEDS.

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
Randomly I've been looking at LED conversion for my missus pug 108 as we were away in the lakes in that last few days and the lights are just awful.

I've got the AFS bi-xenons in my leon and they are awesome... and before the 108 she had a mini with xenons they were great but the 108 is just like having 2 candles.

They are HIR2 bulbs too so seems no halogen upgrades to be had either :/

Eire

Sep 19, 2016
Kildare Ireland
From my experience with lighting..Full Led headlights are a step ahead of Xenon.. I live in the countryside in Ireland and the Led Headlights on my Leon ST FR are just ridiculously bright much brighter than my previous car a VW Touran Sport with Bi-Xenon...

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
LEDs are better than halogens, but probably not as good as Bi-Xenons, at least in the Seat incarnation.
I think this is to do with the actual number of LEDs in the units. I believe I read on here somewhere that Seat use maybe 23, but Audi have 37....something of that order.
They emit a very white light, but don't seem to throw as long a beam. Guess that's something you can adjust with the adjusting screw. But you have to watch dazzle, and the settings test in an MOT.
My old E-Class had Bi-Xenons, and the lights were better than my Leon with LEDS.

+1 for this.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013

Agreed. All leds are not created equal. And neither are xenons.

The other factors in play are lens, quality of bulb/led, reflector quality too. Manufacturers spend millions on research, some more than others.

Anyway laser lights are the next best thing to sliced bread now:cry:

Last edited:

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.

The other factors in play are lens, quality of bulb/led, reflector quality too. Manufacturers spend millions on research, some more than others.

Anyway laser lights are the next best thing to sliced bread now:cry:

I've had cars where sliced bread would probably have been more effective than the ones fitted.
Sit up and beg Ford Pop springs to mind.
Standard 8 too.....

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012

Anyway laser lights are the next best thing to slice bread now:cry:

I didn't know lasers could slice bread.............

Last edited:

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Our Seat has leds whilst my Honda has HID's, the Seat may be a bit whiter light but not as good a beam pattern or distance illumination, and on main, well no contest.
So in my book the leds are not the saviour everyone hoped for.

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Think I'd be better holding a torch out the window than using the LEDs, awful coverage, full beam is great but normal is a bag of s**t. Look great sure but they're naff, had them checked by a dealer and they're fine apparently

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Think I'd be better holding a torch out the window than using the LEDs, awful coverage, full beam is great but normal is a bag of s**t. Look great sure but they're naff, had them checked by a dealer and they're fine apparently

I have found the LED's in the 290 better than previous 280 , but still think the Mk2 xenons gave out more light on dark , unlit roads, particularly in the rain. Like you, I complained to the dealer when I first drive the 280 in the dark, but had the same reply. All I can say is, they may look great ( if that's what you are after) but the actual performance is not. A triumph of form over function.

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
FWIW I changed from a Volvo V40 with bi-xenon to the Leon. The Volvo definitely put out a wider and longer beam, but the light quality and temperature seem similar. I find the range on the Leon LED lights disappointing.

philmots

Jan 29, 2017
Leeds
The facelift LED have had a redesign.

Wonder if they're using newer LED tech that will offer an improvement over the original ones?

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Apparently they are improved. Better range etc. But think that was seat comms. Clearly need independent and owner reviews. Which no doubt will vary from Useless to The best lights ever;)

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
FWIW I changed from a Volvo V40 with bi-xenon to the Leon. The Volvo definitely put out a wider and longer beam, but the light quality and temperature seem similar. I find the range on the Leon LED lights disappointing.

I adjusted mine and found them equal if not a little better on the motorway and full beam.

What I find far worse is corners, I really miss the cornering function of the Mark 2 xenons especially on tight right turns.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.