1.4 ECOTSI - High Miles / MPG

s-x-i

Jul 3, 2017
First post!

My company car is due for renewal towards the end of the year and I am trying to look for something that will save on the company car tax bill!

On paper the 1.4 ECOTSI looks to be the best of both worlds offering low tax and relatively high mpg.

Has anyone done high miles on this engine and what is the average MPG in the real world.

My average annual mileage is around 35k and short journeys are few and far between.

So giving the lower initial purchase price and slightly cheaper fuel price would this engine be a worth while alternative to diesel?

Thanks in advance.

Snarks

May 18, 2002
Lancashire
Visit site
Hi. Welcome to the forums.

There's a thread about fuel economy for the 150 engine here.

I've ordered one to replace my diesel 150 but I only do about 20k per year which I thought was a lot until I saw how much you do.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Welcome.....I have the older 1.4tsi engine so no ACT and it's not the eco version but I average high 40s / low 50s for mpg. I'd imagine the eco will do slightly better than mine.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I have the 1.4eco tsi 150 and am anticipating up to 18k a year in mine. On my 25 mile commute I average approx 58 on way there and 54-56 on way home due to increased traffic. I consistently get approx 500 miles from brim to filling up just after the fuel light comes on.

Hope that helps

s-x-i

Jul 3, 2017
Thanks for the feedback.

Covering the full of Scotland for my company does mean some big miles.

Average MPG seems fairly good, just need to convince them that it is a better option than the default Mondeo diesel.

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
On my 25 mile commute I average approx 58 on way there and 54-56 on way home due to increased traffic. I consistently get approx 500 miles from brim to filling up just after the fuel light comes on.

Hope that helps
I'm guessing that those figures are from the trip computer? Brimming the car from the fuel light will get approx. 10 gallons in (45.5l) so the average for a tank of about 50mpg?

For the OP - how will going to a petrol car rather than a diesel save you money in Benefit In Kind tax under the new rules from last April? As I understand it, you pay the greater of BIK or saving of tax on cash equivalent. I'm interested as I will have this dilemma shortly after you.

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
with 35k miles I would have thought a diesel makes much more sense... my 184 is £20 per year road tax....

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Is your company also covering your fuel bills or they are one just to look at initial purchase price / tax only. Or your company are willing to also look at the big picture and the cost over the years you will have this car?

If the former, get the EcoTSI, if the latter, you can consider the 2.0 TDI. I think nowadays 150 only comes in manual and 184 both manual and DSG.

I would say if it's just you in the car most of the time, and you do sensible speeds (eg...relatively gently 40-75mph, running on 2 cylinders on cruise control) with the odd city blast. Petrol would be fine. I would say that the lower price of petrol would already offset the marginally higher mpg a diesel gets (with higher price for diesel). If you always have a full car, pulling/carrying people/things, 2.0 TDI might be a better alternative. From experience when carrying a full car, there is not much of a mpg drop on diesel (maybe 1 tops 2), petrol seem to do worse.

Petrol engine is also A LOT quieter (and more refined) than the rattly diesel at slower speeds (but at cruise speeds there's very little in it).

Are you thinking of getting the ST, SC or 5dr?

I guess you will also be adding the adaptive Cruise control & ensure yours is a FR Tech (eg...with LED headlights for night motorway driving :D ). If you are gentle on the throttle or on cruise control most of your journeys, this 1.4 EcoTSI can be very economical, returning mid-high 50s (by trip computer).

If max space is requirement, get the Mondeo, or Leon ST...but for driving pleasure I'm sure the Leon is better...Mondeo is like driving a boat or so my friend said who has both driven my old Leon and got a Mondeo as a courtesy car!

As far as I know, if you are getting a new car (eg...17 or 67 plate), you won't be getting the low £20-30 / year tax anymore. Company cars might be subjected to some other taxes, I do not know specifics about that i'm afraid.

Last edited:

FRoSTy

Mar 26, 2016
2 cylinder fun all the way!

Absolutely, I should've bought a v-twin!

I bought mine wth the intention of keeping it for the long term, which is why I thought petrol might be the better option for reliability and repair cost. It would be interesting to see what effect extended 2 cylinder use is doing to it. It needed 400ml oil last week, 12,000 miles since last service. Hopefully that's not a bad sign...

s-x-i

Jul 3, 2017
For the OP - how will going to a petrol car rather than a diesel save you money in Benefit In Kind tax under the new rules from last April?

I use the following website to calculate my company car tax;

comcar .com

A number of different factors dictate company car tax like the value of the car, emissions and pay tax band. Also diesels carry an addition 3% BIK.

Is your company also covering your fuel bills or they are one just to look at initial purchase price / tax only. Or your company are willing to also look at the big picture and the cost over the years you will have this car?

If the former, get the EcoTSI, if the latter, you can consider the 2.0 TDI. I think nowadays 150 only comes in manual and 184 both manual and DSG.

I would say if it's just you in the car most of the time, and you do sensible speeds (eg...relatively gently 40-75mph, running on 2 cylinders on cruise control) with the odd city blast. Petrol would be fine. I would say that the lower price of petrol would already offset the marginally higher mpg a diesel gets (with higher price for diesel). If you always have a full car, pulling/carrying people/things, 2.0 TDI might be a better alternative. From experience when carrying a full car, there is not much of a mpg drop on diesel (maybe 1 tops 2), petrol seem to do worse.

Petrol engine is also A LOT quieter (and more refined) than the rattly diesel at slower speeds (but at cruise speeds there's very little in it).

Are you thinking of getting the ST, SC or 5dr?

I guess you will also be adding the adaptive Cruise control & ensure yours is a FR Tech (eg...with LED headlights for night motorway driving :D ). If you are gentle on the throttle or on cruise control most of your journeys, this 1.4 EcoTSI can be very economical, returning mid-high 50s (by trip computer).

If max space is requirement, get the Mondeo, or Leon ST...but for driving pleasure I'm sure the Leon is better...Mondeo is like driving a boat or so my friend said who has both driven my old Leon and got a Mondeo as a courtesy car!

As far as I know, if you are getting a new car (eg...17 or 67 plate), you won't be getting the low £20-30 / year tax anymore. Company cars might be subjected to some other taxes, I do not know specifics about that i'm afraid.

The car is fully paid for by the company, fuel, tax and servicing etc. and they tend not to question the amount spent on fuel or consumables.

I would be likely going for the ST as I do need the extra space from time to time but generally it is only me travelling in the car during the week.

Some great fuel figures coming from this engine.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
It needed 400ml oil last week, 12,000 miles since last service. Hopefully that's not a bad sign...

What oil do you use? Castrol Edge 5W-30? I was thinking mine also need a topping up (3 cyl Eco-TsI) but don't know which oil to use.

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
just throwing this out there but... the 1.4 petrol is absolutely crap to drive in comparison to the 184 Tdi (IMO having driven both), its lifeless, lacks torque and you have to ring its neck to get any sort of performance from it and it sounds horrendous when you do (think boy racer). The 2.0tdi however is effortless so don't forget to include the 'grin' factor ;)

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
The car is fully paid for by the company, fuel, tax and servicing etc. and they tend not to question the amount spent on fuel or consumables.

I would be likely going for the ST as I do need the extra space from time to time but generally it is only me travelling in the car during the week.

Some great fuel figures coming from this engine.

Somebody will be putting Vpower 99 RON / or if TDI Vpower Nitro Plus Diesel

In that case I would say... 1.4 ACT or TDI 184 (this has more oomph, bigger (I guess better) brakes, and rear suspension, if not a little noisy/rattly.

Suggest you test drive a Leon TDI, and if you are ok with the rattly engine at low revs, then it might be for you. Overtaking on highways is just foot slighly down, and whoosh, no drama and over speed limit. Out of curiosity, which car are you coming from? And will you be opting for DSG or manual?

In most cases if you're on highway predominantly, you can expect around 500-550miles ish on 1.4, and maybe 550-600 ish on 2.0TDI tank range wise if you don't have lead foot.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
just throwing this out there but... the 1.4 petrol is absolutely crap to drive in comparison to the 184 Tdi (IMO having driven both), its lifeless, lacks torque and you have to ring its neck to get any sort of performance from it and it sounds horrendous when you do (think boy racer). The 2.0tdi however is effortless so don't forget to include the 'grin' factor ;)

The shove in the back seat feeling is addictive from experience (and I only had the 150 DSG).
In the words of my friends 'feels like being on a plane when the engines rev up for takeoff.'
Or I get the squeal / squeak of an unsuspecting female passenger when I do put my foot down. If it's male passenger, they start grabbing the doorhandle or roof handle, as they know what's coming! A whole load of torque! I can only imagine what the 184 is like.

Last edited:

s-x-i

Jul 3, 2017
Somebody will be putting Vpower 99 RON / or if TDI Vpower Nitro Plus Diesel

In that case I would say... 1.4 ACT or TDI 184 (this has more oomph, bigger (I guess better) brakes, and rear suspension, if not a little noisy/rattly.

Suggest you test drive a Leon TDI, and if you are ok with the rattly engine at low revs, then it might be for you. Overtaking on highways is just foot slighly down, and whoosh, no drama and over speed limit. Out of curiosity, which car are you coming from? And will you be opting for DSG or manual?

In most cases if you're on highway predominantly, you can expect around 500-550miles ish on 1.4, and maybe 550-600 ish on 2.0TDI tank range wise if you don't have lead foot.

I try to stick to supermarket fuels as they tend to be cheaper plus the reward points go towards the weekly shop lol.

I am coming from a Volvo V40 D2 (1.6 Diesel 115bhp) which costs buttons on company car tax and to run.

I would love to go for the 184 TDI but it would cost an additional £35 per month company car tax over the EcoTSI which may not seem a lot but over a 3 year period (ownership length) it quickly adds up.

Zippy

Jul 4, 2017
Another newbie here!

But I thought the OP might be interested in my experience at the weekend.

I went to look at a Leon ST and was told that the wait times for the 1.4 engine was 'up to' 28 weeks. I don't know if that will have an effect on the OP's decision but thought I'd mention it.

I want the 1.8 petrol engine and that wait time was quoted as 'up to' 16 weeks.

Seems that Seats are getting more popular!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I try to stick to supermarket fuels as they tend to be cheaper plus the reward points go towards the weekly shop lol.

I am coming from a Volvo V40 D2 (1.6 Diesel 115bhp) which costs buttons on company car tax and to run.

I would love to go for the 184 TDI but it would cost an additional £35 per month company car tax over the EcoTSI which may not seem a lot but over a 3 year period (ownership length) it quickly adds up.

1.4 it is . I wouldnt personally put supermarket fuel in my car unless desperate. Unless its Tesco Momentum 99. Thats an alltogether different discussion topic on comparing supermarket and Shell/BP/Esso? Its like saying im going to buy supermarket beer, not perroni or tiger or stella artois, or budweiser. They are all beer...but the branded ones are better...:D

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Another newbie here!

But I thought the OP might be interested in my experience at the weekend.

I went to look at a Leon ST and was told that the wait times for the 1.4 engine was 'up to' 28 weeks. I don't know if that will have an effect on the OP's decision but thought I'd mention it.

I want the 1.8 petrol engine and that wait time was quoted as 'up to' 16 weeks.

Seems that Seats are getting more popular!

Yea the 1.4 ACT engine is used across many VAG cars and its very popular. When i wanted to replace my 2.0tdi with the 1.4..wait time was 6 months...so Ibiza 1.0 EcoTSI it was.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise