Supra Lux Worth the Extra ££?

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
I know that it's around £2k more for the Lux over base, but my biggest concern is that the bucket seats in the Lux are a bit too hard-core over the base model seats. I drove a base model today (5 miles on it!) And the seats in it were fine.

Are the Lux ones a bit uncomfortable, does anyone think?

Of course the title should read CUPRA!

Last edited:

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I know that it's around £2k more for the Lux over base, but my biggest concern is that the bucket seats in the Lux are a bit too hard-core over the base model seats. I drove a base model today (5 miles on it!) And the seats in it were fine.

Are the Lux ones a bit uncomfortable, does anyone think?
I much prefer my bucket seats to the full Leather I had in my 280.

They’re far from hardcore buckets though. Bases I think are the same, they just offer a bit more support around the waste/shoulders.

Reactions: Loadmaster748

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
I much prefer my bucket seats to the full Leather I had in my 280.

They’re far from hardcore buckets though. Bases I think are the same, they just offer a bit more support around the waste/shoulders.
Thanks Damo.

The only demos I can find are non Lux, hence my curiosity about the buckets being too uncomfortable in ever day use. I was very happy with the seats in the base model and to be honest the other Lux differences I can live without.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thanks Damo.

The only demos I can find are non Lux, hence my curiosity about the buckets being too uncomfortable in ever day use. I was very happy with the seats in the base model and to be honest the other Lux differences I can live without.
Where are you based, I’m sure someone will let you have a sit in theirs. The buckets are no different construction and shape wise across the range 280/290/300/R/Carbon.

Facelift just has black carbon effect trim instead of white.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
The one thing I wished my MY19 LUX has was buckets. I’ve got full leather and when driving enthusiastically, I fly all over the place!

Much prefer the new bucket option. And like others have said, they arnt ‘buckets’ as such, more like a mix between those and wingbacks really. Give the correct support for the car IMHO.

Reactions: LR231998

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
The one thing I wished my MY19 LUX has was buckets. I’ve got full leather and when driving enthusiastically, I fly all over the place!

Much prefer the new bucket option. And like others have said, they arnt ‘buckets’ as such, more like a mix between those and wingbacks really. Give the correct support for the car IMHO.

Definitely Don’t miss those slidy seat days in my all blow no go ASBO 1.4 Ibiza Toca. (First car) Was a beast though and got me loving SEAT as a brand. Had wanted a Leon Cupra since before I could even drive now 5 years later I have my dream car :D Seats were horrendous for even half enthusiastic cornering in that lol
8d4d62c88608a834456b40c94aa42e9b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bgb

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I always see people on here leather bashing so I'm going to defend the leather haha. With a dog and a kid for me Leather was a must. I've had accidents in the past in previous cars and leather is so easy to clean and doesn't retain any nasty smells with limited effort. I don't find them slippy at all and I'm a skinny guy (68kg and 180cm). I always wear jeans and they seem to stick to the leather pretty well. I think I'm one of the few people who wanted leather in their car so I was extremely happy with the previous LUX spec, just wish it had a heated windscreen!

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I always see people on here leather bashing so I'm going to defend the leather haha. With a dog and a kid for me Leather was a must. I've had accidents in the past in previous cars and leather is so easy to clean and doesn't retain any nasty smells with limited effort. I don't find them slippy at all and I'm a skinny guy (68kg and 180cm). I always wear jeans and they seem to stick to the leather pretty well. I think I'm one of the few people who wanted leather in their car so I was extremely happy with the previous LUX spec, just wish it had a heated windscreen!
Sounds like you don't drive your car hard enough on the twisty bits, as leather just does not grip well enough.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Sounds like you don't drive your car hard enough on the twisty bits, as leather just does not grip well enough.
Twisty bits are the only fun bits and I live in Scotland so plenty of them. Grips well enough for me. I need more support in the middle of the seat though. That requires a different seat though not material.

Edit: Just seen you're also from Edinburgh and a "biker". I'll have to keep my eye out for you.

Last edited:

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Disagree with you here.

Depends on the person (weight build etc) their seating position and also if they treat the leather.

I found the full leather seats fine until it got valeted and they put some stuff on the leather.

Yes the alcantara is going to grip better overall but to claim someone doesn’t drive the car hard enough purely as they don’t slide around and you do is an over reach.

Reactions: Kirky

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
An alternative view here...and a secret revealed.
I have no longer,sadly,got my Carbon edition.

Why? It was actually down to the seats,wife became more and more insistent that they were so uncomfortable for her that they had to go.
The issue was not the backrests,but she said the bottoms were hard/lumpy so she could not get comfortable.
As they say,happy wife equals happy life,so the car went.Fortunately the son in law was looking for a replacement for his 5 year old S3 so I didn't take much of a loss.

What did I think of the so-called bucket seats?
OK,far from the best I've sat in but acceptable,seven out of ten I would say,although I did know what she meant about the bottom being on the hard side.
So rather sad about losing the Carbon,but it's still in the family.Going well and attracted admiring glances in the car park at Silverstone,so I'm told.

Tomorrow I take delivery of Octavia vRS 245 dsg Estate which should be an adequate (but not better!) replacement.
(Nearly went for a Cupra Ateca,but decided on the above.)

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I used to have a grip device on the seat belt in other cars, unfortunately cannot remember the name of it right now, it maintained the tension set by you and stopped a bit of body movement when hurrying on.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
An alternative view here...and a secret revealed.
I have no longer,sadly,got my Carbon edition.

Why? It was actually down to the seats,wife became more and more insistent that they were so uncomfortable for her that they had to go.
The issue was not the backrests,but she said the bottoms were hard/lumpy so she could not get comfortable.
As they say,happy wife equals happy life,so the car went.Fortunately the son in law was looking for a replacement for his 5 year old S3 so I didn't take much of a loss.

What did I think of the so-called bucket seats?
OK,far from the best I've sat in but acceptable,seven out of ten I would say,although I did know what she meant about the bottom being on the hard side.
So rather sad about losing the Carbon,but it's still in the family.Going well and attracted admiring glances in the car park at Silverstone,so I'm told.

Tomorrow I take delivery of Octavia vRS 245 dsg Estate which should be an adequate (but not better!) replacement.
(Nearly went for a Cupra Ateca,but decided on the above.)
Sorry to hear the Carbon has gone. Thankfully my wife lkes the seats.

You’ll enjoy the 245 with the diff, if miss the power. I’d say it’s more exciting out if the box than the 4drive. I had 230 VRS special editio pre facelift on order but got the 280 instead.

Reactions: Oldbutswift

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Disagree with you here.

Depends on the person (weight build etc) their seating position and also if they treat the leather.

I found the full leather seats fine until it got valeted and they put some stuff on the leather.

Yes the alcantara is going to grip better overall but to claim someone doesn’t drive the car hard enough purely as they don’t slide around and you do is an over reach.
I don't as I didn't take leather in my car, never have, but a few of my mates let me in their cars, and, it was them that mentioned it. Leather breeks on a bike is the nearest I will get, and as you grip the seat round bends it's totally different.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I don't as I didn't take leather in my car, never have, but a few of my mates let me in their cars, and, it was them that mentioned it. Leather breeks on a bike is the nearest I will get, and as you grip the seat round bends it's totally different.
So you’ve not even driven one with Leather seats. Right.

JonnyG

Mar 18, 2019
For anyone leasing I think the difference was about £10 a month when I ordered my Lux, so probably worth if for those that lease IMHO, for the additional stuff .

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.