Insurance quote over £5,000 for the year?? Bit early for April Fools isn't it?

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Called Adrian Flux to see if they could sort me a quote out for the cupra that is due to arrive next week. I am already on a multi car policy with Admiral and just wanted to see if taking the Cupra off the multi car policy would make insuring all four cars cheaper overall.

They couldn't match the quotes I had recevied online (fair enough) so they passed me on to another insurance broker who handed me to an insurer who could not provide a quote either. After multiple phone call trasnfers I was passed to "streetwise".

The girl on the phone must have htought she was funny becasue she said.

"I've actually only got one quote available which is around £5,564 for the year?"

I laughed and had to check she had the right car, last I checked I was buying a SEAT not a Ferarri.

I will stick with my £600 quote with AXA :beer:.

Was a good laugh though. Thanks for trying.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Never found Adrian Flux to be the cheapest. Not that I necessarily want the absolute cheapest quote anyway but the big guys are usually in the ballpark price wise and are good if you need to use them.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Happens with all cars. Even a 1.6 Focus I had a few years ago had quotes over £2000 on the comparison sites, I actually paid £177. I live in Exeter, one of the cheapest places in the country for insurance, over 40, no claims for 2 decades, no points.

Some places just dont want your money and its because computer algorithms are stupid with no common sense built in, and they are flawed because humans program them badly.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I find cheapest for me is Seat Insurance which I didn't think it would be, funnily though the leon fr 1.5tsi milkfloat edition still works out more expensive than a Civic Type R for me to insure by about £75 which is mind boggle

type R £250
1.5 tsi milkfloat £325

Reactions: The Daily Meme

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I find cheapest for me is Seat Insurance which I didn't think it would be, funnily though the leon fr 1.5tsi milkfloat edition still works out more expensive than a Civic Type R for me to insure by about £75 which is mind boggle

type R £250
1.5 tsi milkfloat £325
Yes, it does make you wonder how insurers come up with some of their premiums. They do have incredibly complex premium calculation algorithms, but as @ChrisM75 has said, logic and common sense doesn’t always prevail.

If it’s your first year with Seat insurance, be sure not to let your policy auto-renewal. Quite often, insurers offer a very attractive premium to new customers, and then bump the price up significantly at first renewal. IMO, always shop around for your car insurance but don’t automatically go for the cheapest - cheapest premium might mean poor claims service (although not necessarily so). IMO, always worth trying to research an insurers claims service - that’s where you want an insurer to excel in what they provide (speed and quality of service, repairs to OEM standard) if the worst should happen.

Reactions: Mr Pig

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Yes, it does make you wonder how insurers come up with some of their premiums. They do have incredibly complex premium calculation algorithms, but as @ChrisM75 has said, logic and common sense doesn’t always prevail.

If it’s your first year with Seat insurance, be sure not to let your policy auto-renewal. Quite often, insurers offer a very attractive premium to new customers, and then bump the price up significantly at first renewal. IMO, always shop around for your car insurance but don’t automatically go for the cheapest - cheapest premium might mean poor claims service (although not necessarily so). IMO, always worth trying to research an insurers claims service - that’s where you want an insurer to excel in what they provide (speed and quality of service, repairs to OEM standard) if the worst should happen.
I never auto-renew, but even come renewal Seat Insurance were £20 cheaper than the next cheapest quote so I have stayed with them.

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I never auto-renew, but even come renewal Seat Insurance were £20 cheaper than the next cheapest quote so I have stayed with them.
my auto renewal with admiral is £200 cheaper than anywhere else. suprising really. I've been with them for over 5 years because unusually their renewal prices are usually cheaper.

ExInferis

Feb 18, 2020
my auto renewal with admiral is £200 cheaper than anywhere else. suprising really. I've been with them for over 5 years because unusually their renewal prices are usually cheaper.

I sacked Admiral off after I "volunteered" for a speed awareness course.

The former traffic copper who ran the course explained that when this course was being set up, all British insurers agreed that they wouldn't punish you for going on it, as it reduces risk.

Guess which company then reneged on the deal?

On any price comparison site, the only reason they ask you about that course is because of them. No other insurers give a monkeys.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Admiral as a group are notorious for shady practices, they were the ones pushing really hard for whiplash compensation.

I had to use them for my Cupra this year because I needed to insure 2 cars for a while and they were WAY cheaper. I doubt ill use them again though, and have usually avoided them, cheaper or not.

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I sacked Admiral off after I "volunteered" for a speed awareness course.

The former traffic copper who ran the course explained that when this course was being set up, all British insurers agreed that they wouldn't punish you for going on it, as it reduces risk.

Guess which company then reneged on the deal?

On any price comparison site, the only reason they ask you about that course is because of them. No other insurers give a monkeys.
I did one of those courses but its so long ago that they don't care anymore.

Actually come to think of it i think mine wasnt a speed awareness course it was a drivers awareness course or something. Basically I had an accident with no one else involved. the police put it down to poor weather conditions and my lack of driving experience. Put me on a sort of top up driving lesson that covered stuff my driving instructor failed to cover when i was learning.

The alternative was being threatended with "driving without undue care and attention".

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Admiral as a group are notorious for shady practices, they were the ones pushing really hard for whiplash compensation.

I had to use them for my Cupra this year because I needed to insure 2 cars for a while and they were WAY cheaper. I doubt ill use them again though, and have usually avoided them, cheaper or not.
Aviva now do multicar inusrance, 10% off for each car.

Reactions: Robtt

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Aviva now do multicar inusrance, 10% off for each car.
I tried them all, Admiral was hundreds less. More so when I came to remove the other car from the policy. However I do random checks as I did a few weeks ago, and Aviva were the cheapest for my one car.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I use Aviva now (I used to be with Admiral), my cover is basic (like no courtesy car, and no European cover, and no breakdown cover), but I'm fine with it, as car is not used for going to and from work, and never go to Europe, plus my bank has breakdown cover. Aviva was about £100 cheaper than the rest.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi.
I'm sorry we weren't able to offer you a competitive quotation but thanks for giving us a try.
Regards,
Dan.

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Admiral are a rip off tbh, they wouldn’t cover me for my FR ECOTSI, classed it as a high risk vehicle for some reason and I had to ring up and they said at the very least they could cover me but for 1400 per year, thought sod that so I went to Hastings and they wanted 600 a year, I do find it strange how their is a big gap in the market too

Last edited:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Admiral are a rip off tbh, they wouldn’t cover me for my FR ECOTSI, classes it as a Hugh risk vehicle for some reason and I had to ring up and they said the very least they could cover me eventually but for 1400 per year, thought sod that went to Hastings and that wanted 600 a year, I do find it strange how their be a huge gap in the market too

It could be that Admiral have had a poor claims experience with the Leon FR - not sure why, as the FR isn’t a car you’d normally associate with being a high theft risk or the type of car a young or inexperienced driver would buy. If they have seen a higher frequency of claims and / or more costly claims for the FR compared to similar cars in the Leon / Golf / Octavia etc. car segment, then they’ll address this through increasing their premium rates. Maybe they got their initial prices wrong (too cheap?) for the FR, which means they didn’t get enough premium to cover their claims costs and other expenses, so they’re now having to charge excessively high premiums to make up for prior losses.

I think most people would’ve done what you did - I certainly would’ve - and moved to another insurer offering a more reasonable prices.

Reactions: Wilkesy
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.