Rattles in both front doors

ml55

Oct 8, 2013
Hi all,

Both the doors in my 65 plate Leon FR SC rattle. I’m seriously close to doing a Thelma and Louise off a cliff in it. Frustrating thing is, if I apply any pressure to the circled panel on the door whilst driving it stops, but I can’t replicate the needed pressure with any makeshift remedies (like the blu-tac and card you can see) My missus is refusing to travel constantly pressing this panel in now too so I need to sort it.
Has anyone else had the same and sorted it? Ideally without removing the door card if possible I’m about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
Thanks

Attachments

• D2115B04-0FBA-414E-A949-2842BC1256BF.jpeg
    D2115B04-0FBA-414E-A949-2842BC1256BF.jpeg
    426.3 KB · Views: 813

Paulo16

Jun 13, 2019
Huddersfield
Happens on many of them I’m afraid. A lot of guys including me have removed the door panels and soundproofed them with thick foam and sound absorber panels on the inner door skin. Worked a treat on mine, no more rattles and quieter on the road plus sound system is better too. There is a thread on the subject.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ml55

Oct 8, 2013
Happens on many of them I’m afraid. A lot of guys including me have removed the door panels and soundproofed them with thick foam and sound absorber panels on the inner door skin. Worked a treat on mine, no more rattles and quieter on the road plus sound system is better too. There is a thread on the subject.

I was afraid that would be the case. Think I might need to give it a go. Any idea on the screwdriver size for the screws behind the handle please? Thanks for you reply

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
No I haven’t, wouldn’t be a problem with the electrics behind there, no?

From what you describe it sounds like it might be the two trim pieces on the card rubbing together. What I'm suggesting is trying to get some sort of lubricant in there, see if it makes any difference, so at least you'll know if that's the issue. Maybe a silicone spray grease. It depends on the materials, if you can do this and wipe the excess off without getting anything stained or marked. Just be an easy thing to try.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
My 65 plate Cupra rattles 24/7.

Both rear door panels rattle, the passenger side pillar makes a noise (My MK2 FR did this on both sides), the plastic shroud around the speedo rattles as well.

Its the price you pay for the massive saving over Golfs/A3. :happy:

Paulo16

Jun 13, 2019
Huddersfield
I was afraid that would be the case. Think I might need to give it a go. Any idea on the screwdriver size for the screws behind the handle please? Thanks for you reply

I can’t remember but it’s a torx headed screw from memory. A pair of trim splitting pliers are handy too and be careful not to break too many securing clips although they are cheap on eBay. Thx.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
We've been very lucky. We've had three Leons and they're all quiet. The first one had the creaky A-pillars, easy to fix myself, too complicated for the dealer apparently! Other than that, nothing.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Good luck with getting it sorted.

I remember this happening a lot with the first mk3s. From memory there was a dealer fix bulletin.

I am lucky my 2008 MK2 doesn't make a sound, but our Ibiza is pretty bad. Seems to be behind the door handle on that. Dispite taking the handle off and adding foam it reappears now and again.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
My 65 plate Cupra rattles 24/7.

Both rear door panels rattle, the passenger side pillar makes a noise (My MK2 FR did this on both sides), the plastic shroud around the speedo rattles as well.

Its the price you pay for the massive saving over Golfs/A3. :happy:

Trust me, those rattle too, it's a VAG thing. :)

Reactions: Tonezz

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Had a Mk3 63 plate Leon, had 3 rattles (instrument area, passenger side A pillar, driver's door) sorted under warranty on 3 different visit to a competent dealer. The first silencing of the louder rattle, just uncovered the quieter one. For the rattling door, they removed both door trim, added expanding foam noodle thingi, and it was so quiet after, even the music sounded better! Then I had to return the car several month later. Then I had a MK5 facelift Ibiza...that one had no rattles at all for the entire 2 years I had it. Likewise now have a Volvo V40, the only thing that makes a noise is plastic ticket holder clip touching the windscreen only a hot summer's day!

ml55

Oct 8, 2013
Had a Mk3 63 plate Leon, had 3 rattles (instrument area, passenger side A pillar, driver's door) sorted under warranty on 3 different visit to a competent dealer. The first silencing of the louder rattle, just uncovered the quieter one. For the rattling door, they removed both door trim, added expanding foam noodle thingi, and it was so quiet after, even the music sounded better! Then I had to return the car several month later. Then I had a MK5 facelift Ibiza...that one had no rattles at all for the entire 2 years I had it. Likewise now have a Volvo V40, the only thing that makes a noise is plastic ticket holder clip touching the windscreen only a hot summer's day!
I’ve had quite a few cars in my time and this is by far the most annoying. I don’t actually enjoy driving it because of the rattles and noises, it’s crazy. I think every panel makes some sort of sound. Such a shame but hey ho.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
I've had two Golfs (2015, 2017) and a 2019 Cupra. The 2017 Golf and 2019 Cupra rattled/rattles in the doors. I think I need to remove the door cards and do some DIY soundproofing.

ITMonkey

Jul 13, 2004
I've my 63 plate SC for over 5 years and every service but one has included a rattle fix in one door or the other. Still not sorted.

ml55

Oct 8, 2013
I've my 63 plate SC for over 5 years and every service but one has included a rattle fix in one door or the other. Still not sorted.
It’s infuriating mate. The other day I got so pissed off I pulled over and jammed a plastic trim tool wedge behind the trim as far as I could. It’s actually made it probably 75% better but it looks ridiculous having a purple rod sticking out the door.
Gonna get the door card off when I get the time like others have recommended here.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Been there, my 2015 Cupra SC was a rattle bucket. The dealer was great but fixed one rattle and another appeared!

No amount of foam pads fixed it

I hope you find a fix.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members