Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Let’s get this out of the way first

Our lucky readers in Europe are in for a treat with this car, it’s stunning, super-fast, and is simply the most desirable car ever made by SEAT and CUPRA as far as we’re concerned.

Yet our UK readers will be miffed that at this point in time, there are no plans to bring this to the UK in right-hand drive.

What?!!

giphy.gif

When we heard this car was being made in “limited numbers” a few weeks ago and not coming to the UK, we expected “limited numbers” to mean 500 or so. Not the 7,000 that has been announced. That’s not particularly limited.

This then begs the question: Why could SEAT make 799 MK3 Leon CUPRA R’s in total, and still manage to make 24 specifically in right hand drive for the UK?

With the VZ5 being produced in much greater volumes, using the same ratio as a guide CUPRA should easily be able to make 210 right hand drive VZ5s for the UK. We really hope...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
Disappointed but not surprised. I hate to think what the OTR price in the UK would be, especially with new FY tax. But I have zero doubt they would sell 50-100+ if they did bring them here. Guess we can keep asking!

Reactions: Syphon

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Did they release the prices?

Looking at the car, for me, carbon highlights at the bottom of the car work quite well. I like the changes to the front bumper (mostly the plastic in contrasting parts on the normal car), it just flows better. Rims look good. I am not a huge fan of the changes to the rear bumper, especially the exhausts in this tilted configuration.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Did they release the prices?

Looking at the car, for me, carbon highlights at the bottom of the car work quite well. I like the changes to the front bumper (mostly the plastic in contrasting parts on the normal car), it just flows better. Rims look good. I am not a huge fan of the changes to the rear bumper, especially the exhausts in this tilted configuration.

No prices yet. I don't expect we'll get those until second half of the year.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
So no vz5 and no abt version to uk
ABT is not an official version. You can probably buy an ABT tune up in the UK as well.

Despite its left-hand-drive production, Cupra UK has confirmed the VZ5 will be available locally in limited numbers, but precise figures, and its high-flying price point, have yet to be established.
Not sure what this means. You can buy one in UK, but it will be LHD?

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Reactions: Syphon

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Reactions: Yaz2010

Yaz2010

Sep 16, 2020
Oh makes sense I was thinking dealer meant as in it was done at cupra dealer. Considering the problems people have faced with the initial orders , I don't think it would be wise to do this abt uograde.

Reactions: Peyton

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
thanks Scott. Still the rear caliper is black even on vz5. Lol.

Those details are the ones that drives me so mad. If you drop a serious coinage for Brembo brakes... what about getting some rear brakes color coordinated? Getting the stock black painted ones after dropping >2500Eur for Brembo option... spending some cents on a different color brake caliper should be a reasonable thing.

Wondering how much could be a complete disassembly, paint stripping and color matching paint (or powdercoat) for the rear brake calipers.

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
RHD cars need some parts relocated and there's a cost on doing this and this on a very short run model like the 5cyl model could be unbearable. VZ5 will be just a very very small niche model and... maybe if someone really wants/need it it needs to step up and do it as a LHD model. Did the same (but at reverse) importing on my country a Subi Impreza B22 wrx sti (the one who made famous Colin McRae).

And.. maybe is an opportunity to start driving by the 'right side' of the road as the continentals do... (running before pitchfork raid is built). :ROFLMAO:

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Top Gear are carrying quotes this morning from head of R&D Werner Tietz confirming no RHD models will be produced but it will be made available in the UK.

He compares the situation to how some British boutique car companies do not make LHD models for the export market saying as the car is a halo product for the Spanish brand LHD-only is the right choice.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Top Gear are carrying quotes this morning from head of R&D Werner Tietz confirming no RHD models will be produced but it will be made available in the UK.

He compares the situation to how some British boutique car companies do not make LHD models for the export market saying as the car is a halo product for the Spanish brand LHD-only is the right choice.

There is a RHD Formentor already, so not sure how complicated it would be to bring 5 cylinder to RHD. I'd expect the engine layout to be the same regardless of RHD/LHD and only differences in the interior (where they already have RHD version).

More likely explanation is that Audi allowed the engine to be used in only limited numbers (7000) and only LHD.