MK3 Buying Help

Mrski1

May 12, 2008
Aberdeen
Hi All,

I am considering a facelift Mk3 Leon 1.4 TSI DSG as a replacement for my Exeo ST, are there any major issues to look out for with the 1.4 (150) TSI model and the DSG gearbox?

Last edited:

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Hi All,

I am considering a facelift Mk3 Leon 1.4 TSI DSG as a replacement for my Exeo ST, are there any major issues to look out for with the 1.4 (150) TSI model and the DSG gearbox?
Had one for 20 months. Bought when 10 months old. Only problem so far has been a leaking water pump - replaced under warranty.
Impressed with performance & economy. For past year most journeys under 10 miles & average still close to 45mpg.

Reactions: Mrski1

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Nothing specific that I know of. I've driven the 1.5 DSG and I didn't like the gearbox, but I don't like automatics so...

The 1.4 is a sweet engine and, by all accounts, better than the 1.5 that replaced it. Is it an FR?

Reactions: Mrski1

Mrski1

May 12, 2008
Aberdeen
Had one for 20 months. Bought when 10 months old. Only problem so far has been a leaking water pump - replaced under warranty.
Impressed with performance & economy. For past year most journeys under 10 miles & average still close to 45mp

Its a surprisingly economical engine, I know from driving my Mothers Audi Q2 over the same long trip I regularly use my Exeo on, that it can achieve 'almost' the same sort of MPG as the 2.0 diesel in my Exeo. Little unsure about what to look out for DSG wise though, and if there are any typical issues.

Mrski1

May 12, 2008
Aberdeen
Nothing specific that I know of. I've driven the 1.5 DSG and I didn't like the gearbox, but I don't like automatics so...

The 1.4 is a sweet engine and, by all accounts, better than the 1.5 that replaced it. Is it an FR?

Yes, it is FR spec I am considering, although I've heard the ride on the FR can be a bit firm? I've come round to auto's recently but have significantly changed my driving style over the years, and it suits the traffic I get stuck in on long drives, plus I don't get the same enjoyment out of driving a car now (that's what the motorbike is for).

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Yes, it is FR spec I am considering, although I've heard the ride on the FR can be a bit firm?
The pre-facelift car, yes, it's a bit crashy around town but they've softened it on the facelift. No problem at all, even on 18'' wheels. Still corners well.

My suspicion is that they've combined the standard/SE springs and dampers with the FR anti-roll bars but it's just a hunch. Not investigated it. Whatever they've done, the facelift car is not harsh.

Mrski1

May 12, 2008
Aberdeen
The pre-facelift car, yes, it's a bit crashy around town but they've softened it on the facelift. No problem at all, even on 18'' wheels. Still corners well.

My suspicion is that they've combined the standard/SE springs and dampers with the FR anti-roll bars but it's just a hunch. Not investigated it. Whatever they've done, the facelift car is not harsh.

It's strange how it works out, with the Exeo I heard the Sport spec (which I have) rides better than the SE, as the SE is supposedly too soft and tends to wallow around, I haven't tried an SE but the Sport spec is by no means firm.

Am I right in thinking the 1.4 MK3 Leon comes with the beam rear suspension?

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
Yes. Independent rear is only on 150 BHP+ SEATs.

My FR is on 17" wheels. , I really like the ride as a good compromise between ride & handling.
I've had much stiffer cars (S3, BMWs etc) which were irritatingly crashy. The FR does a good job imo.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015

Yes. It doesn't hurt the ride quality though and the car feels like it corners just as well as the independent car. The latter just feels more fluid at speed but the beam set up is not bad.

Neither the SE or FR Leon wallow. I think they will both handle better than the Exeo. They are built on a much newer platform with years of development behind it. They drive well. I'd say the face-lift FR is the best balance of handling and comfort. If all you want is comfort on long runs, the SE all day long but the face-lift FR gives you close to that level of comfort but is more controlled when it gets twisty. The SE is not bad in that respect but it's no sports car. Actually, neither is the FR but it's better! ;0)

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
I consider the ride of my 2018 FR to be firm but more compliant than my previous 2012 Octavia vRS.
Both had a better ride with my winter 17" wheels with Nokian tyres rather than the summer 18" - but the improvement was not much.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi All,

I went from an Audi A4 B6 Avant Quattro (same as an Exeo with Audi badges) to my Leon MK3 ST FR 184TDI.
Can't comment on the DSG except to say the 7 speed on the smaller engines is a dry clutch pack box - VS wet clutch pack box on the bigger engines, apparently not as smooth? but that's just from what i've read. It had some/lots of problems in the early vehicles but apparently these have been ironed out/fixed.
My diesel Leon is over 200kg lighter than the Exeo! - even more in a 1.4 TSI this is massive. Driving wise I like my Leon, feels more agile, I don't find the suspension firm. I did find the steering and brakes a bit light and numb at first coming straight from my Audi with hydraulic steering, sport steering setting helped - and you just get used to the 'sensitive' brakes.

Reactions: Mr Pig