Leon 1.8T EPC light and Start/Stop warning

chavdaroff

Aug 23, 2021
Bulgaria, Sofia
Hey guys,
I have Seat Leon SC from 2013 with 1.8T engine. Recently I got few times EPC light with message for Start/Stop system error after starting up the car. It happened 3 times for the past 14 days. I scanned with Carista for any errors and I have recorded fault 14846 for Engine Control Unit. Even after clearing it, when the issue happen again the same fault is recorded. The car does not go into limp mode and is running normal. Usually when I get the EPC light and error for Start/Stop after shutting down the car and starting it again there are no errors and no lights. Did anyone happen to had this kind of issues and have and idea what can be causing this? I've made a small research about the error code and few guys were saying that maybe the turbo is beginning to have some issues but didn't find any particular answer to this.

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Hey guys,
I have Seat Leon SC from 2013 with 1.8T engine. Recently I got few times EPC light with message for Start/Stop system error after starting up the car. It happened 3 times for the past 14 days. I scanned with Carista for any errors and I have recorded fault 14846 for Engine Control Unit. Even after clearing it, when the issue happen again the same fault is recorded. The car does not go into limp mode and is running normal. Usually when I get the EPC light and error for Start/Stop after shutting down the car and starting it again there are no errors and no lights. Did anyone happen to had this kind of issues and have and idea what can be causing this? I've made a small research about the error code and few guys were saying that maybe the turbo is beginning to have some issues but didn't find any particular answer to this.

Had the same problem a few weeks ago, same fault code same car etc

It’s related to the turbo actuator and waste gate flap. Basically the flap shaft starts to wear and throws the actuator out of calibration.

Easily fixed by adjusting the actuator shaft, rod end. You will need a way of monitoring the channels, I used vcd hopefully you can do it with carista…. The channels are below,

e8d6030b032c91de89d7047d20245e7f.jpg

So you have 3 channels

- voltage at open position (what the sensor expects to see when the actuator drives the flap fully open.)
- voltage at closed position (reverse of the above)
- acknowledgement voltage (actual sensor voltage)

The open and close values change when you start the car, I assume the car does a quick system check to make sure the actuator is functioning.

What you will find is the actual value will be bigger than the closed value which to the car is impossible so the fault code is displayed. What you will need to do is get the car on stands then get underneath find the turbo actuator and adjust the arm that goes into the rod end that is connected to the waste gate flap.

Until the actual voltage is less than the closed position voltage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: chavdaroff

chavdaroff

Aug 23, 2021
Bulgaria, Sofia
Little update. Went to Seat service. They diagnose the car and found two issues with the turbo - actuator and pressure sensor. I've ordered both parts and currently waiting for delivery so i can drop off the car for the repair. The cost will be around 800 leva here in Bulgaria (400 EUR). I think it's not that bad. :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members