• Evo Magazine are looking for a mint and (and ideally unmodified) Leon Cupra Sub8 to drive and photograph for a feature. Find out more here .
  • Hey Guest👍👎 We're looking for reviews of your local CUPRA or SEAT Dealership - it's quick and easy to do: Leave a review now
Sep 9, 2026
3
0
Hi everyone! Hoping someone might be able to help me out.

I have a Seat Leon 1.2 Tsi 2012 - the ignition lights are not showing on the dashboard (the picture of the car showing doors open etc is illuminated and main beam blue light as well as indicator lights will also illuminate) but the car won't crank over. A few months ago before I parked up the car, the problem which it now has permanently would play up intermittently (I wondered if it is the ignition switch, a faulty relay or an earth problem).

I had a spare odometer instrument cluster which I swapped over but that made no difference.

Battery is charged and lights, indicators, horn, wipers etc all work fine. Headlights nor interior lights don't dim when you turn on the ignition/turn the key!

Any advice appreciated. If anyone thinks it could be a relay, if they could advise on location of relay and number that would be really appreciated!

Many thanks!

Steve
 
Definitely sounds like the ignition switch or relay. Not sure of the location on the MK2, but in the MK1 they were behind the dashboard.
 
Definitely sounds like the ignition switch or relay. Not sure of the location on the MK2, but in the MK1 they were behind the dashboard.

Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated. I will see if I can check the relay and swap out if necessary! Thanks
 
Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated. I will see if I can check the relay and swap out if necessary! Thanks
No worries, maybe worth checking all the engine bay fuses too. In the mk1 there are some big fuses on top the battery itself, not sure if it's the same on the mk2,or if they are inside the engine bay fusebox etc. Wherever it's locataed, one of those is the power feed to the main supply relay.

Given that you said it was intermittent previously, it would make more sense that it was the relay starting to fail, but might as well rule out the easy stuff like fuses beforehand.
 
No worries, maybe worth checking all the engine bay fuses too. In the mk1 there are some big fuses on top the battery itself, not sure if it's the same on the mk2,or if they are inside the engine bay fusebox etc. Wherever it's locataed, one of those is the power feed to the main supply relay.

Given that you said it was intermittent previously, it would make more sense that it was the relay starting to fail, but might as well rule out the easy stuff like fuses beforehand.
Thanks for the advice. I have checked all the fuses and none of them are blown (side of dashboard and engine bay fuses are all fine)

This evening, I put the hazard lights on by accident (caught the switch) and couldn't turn them off again and the indicators on the dash and the vehicle image display on the dash were all flashing like crazy!? Ended up disconnecting the battery and re-connecting but the hazard lights were still flashing so disconnected the battery for now!
 
Thanks for the advice. I have checked all the fuses and none of them are blown (side of dashboard and engine bay fuses are all fine)

This evening, I put the hazard lights on by accident (caught the switch) and couldn't turn them off again and the indicators on the dash and the vehicle image display on the dash were all flashing like crazy!? Ended up disconnecting the battery and re-connecting but the hazard lights were still flashing so disconnected the battery for now!
Hmm, that's weird, sounds a bit like an earth issue, where the power is back feeding. If the headlights and all that are working, tehn main battery earth should be good, but maybe worth checking the various earths around the front of the car.

If you have an code reader, can it communicate with the car, and if so do you have any fault codes on the BCM?