Help I have No Accellerator!!!

leon7284

Chelsea Chelsea
Jun 13, 2006
Horsham, West Sussex
Went to pull away in my LCR about an hour ago and got about 10 yards then loads of lights came on (EPC, traction control & engine management) and the revs had a mind of its own! When i push the accellerator pedal it does nothing. Ive run vag com and cant clear these faults:

18039= Sensor signal too high
18042= Sensor 2 signal too high (G185)
17581= Throttle signal too high
17987= Throttle adaption required
17861= EGR temperature sensor open short

Can anyone point me in the right direction of the fault as no connections are dodgy and ive just stripped and cleaned the throttle body which has made no difference. I cant carry out an adaption while the faults are still on there!?!

Someone help me its the weekend and my car needs to be driven!

leon7284

Chelsea Chelsea
Jun 13, 2006
Horsham, West Sussex
cant do that it wont let me coz the faults are there. I disconnected my battery and then done it, strangely it let me reset the throttle body and it came up ok adaption ok so i tried to start it then all the lights on the dash came back on and the revs started going up and down by themselves again.

Someone help!!!

leon7284

Chelsea Chelsea
Jun 13, 2006
Horsham, West Sussex
how do you get to the sodding thing!!! Are the two sensors and the pedal a complete unit? Ive been talking to someone from vw and he thinks that i may have a split hose which is causing the ecu to think it needs to pump more fuel in which is confusing the throttle body hense the fault with it. My lamba is reading around 1-2 volts but the idle is all over the place

Last edited:

leon7284

Chelsea Chelsea
Jun 13, 2006
Horsham, West Sussex
ive got 2 off the third is tight behind this big white plastic bit which i can get off even with an open ended spanner. I think thats the last one cant see any others. I hope its not the throttle body they are over £300!!! Dont know how much the pedal will be yet? Thats if it is that??? Do you think it could be a split hose?

leon7284

Chelsea Chelsea
Jun 13, 2006
Horsham, West Sussex
ok, is the something on vag com i should be specifly looking for? i want to do throttle adaption but it wont let me because the faults wont clear? what else can i do short of buying a new pedal and trying that

leon7284

Chelsea Chelsea
Jun 13, 2006
Horsham, West Sussex
so getting a new one is the easiest option then! I just cant work out how to get the thing off ive just had another go and it looks like all the relays racks and alarm framing need to come down so you can get access to this big white thing but then that has loads of electrics on it which im not too keen on disturbing!!! Im such a tight arse im not going to my stealership to have my pants pulled down plus they dont know their arse from their elbow.

Jochen

Hi,
Check fuses, and make sure the earth points are all tight, there are 2 down under the battery tray that come loose and one under plenum chamber cover in front of the engine e.c.u, worth checking these, you can check throttle pedal using v.a.g com using measured value readings, not sure what one off top of my head, sorry, it will read between 0 - 100% dependant on throttle pedal position, but i must say, i have not changed a throttle pedal yet as it has two tracks in side as a fail safe. my guess would be a electrical connection problem somewhere. deffo check those earths.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members