Wanted - airbag sensor or VAG-COM programming - East Sussex

DanielC

May 8, 2023
Hastings
Hello everyone, this is my first post but I’ve been reading a lot on this forum to diagnose and attempt a fix on my 05 Leon. So thank you to all the contributors, as this was by far the most useful source of information for me.

Having read the other posts on the topic of airbag lights, water in the footwells, dodgy yellow connectors under the seat etc etc, I thought I’d have a go at repair. I bought a cheapish code scanner with the facility to find and clear the fault code 01222 on the airbag and had a go.

I know that the issue lies with one airbag (passenger) airbag sensor under the seat. I swapped it with the drivers and the fault then showed the driver, so definitely the problem.

I bought a replacement of eBay with the same product code: 6q0909606 and replaced but no good. I’d read conflicting reports on compatibility and something about needing the blocks programming for index number (forgive me I haven’t used any vag-com type software and am not savvy on the terminology or processes).

Which means I believe I need one of two things and I’m hoping one of you may be able to help, please:

- either an airbag sensor compatible with a mk1 seat Leon 1.4 petrol (if anyone has one for sale or can direct me

- someone nearby with vag-com and the ability to reprogramme the sensor so that it’s calibrated to my vehicle.

To complicate matters, I am unable to move the vehicle at present (long story) so would need the part posting to Hastings or someone able to pop by and help.

p.s - my error code scanner only gives me the first part of the error code not the bit about whether it’s the wrong part or broken (as per Ross-tech website) so I am unable to tell which it is. Perhaps a sensor that’s likely to work for my vehicle would be the safest bet.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hello everyone, this is my first post but I’ve been reading a lot on this forum to diagnose and attempt a fix on my 05 Leon. So thank you to all the contributors, as this was by far the most useful source of information for me.

Having read the other posts on the topic of airbag lights, water in the footwells, dodgy yellow connectors under the seat etc etc, I thought I’d have a go at repair. I bought a cheapish code scanner with the facility to find and clear the fault code 01222 on the airbag and had a go.

I know that the issue lies with one airbag (passenger) airbag sensor under the seat. I swapped it with the drivers and the fault then showed the driver, so definitely the problem.

I bought a replacement of eBay with the same product code: 6q0909606 and replaced but no good. I’d read conflicting reports on compatibility and something about needing the blocks programming for index number (forgive me I haven’t used any vag-com type software and am not savvy on the terminology or processes).

Which means I believe I need one of two things and I’m hoping one of you may be able to help, please:

- either an airbag sensor compatible with a mk1 seat Leon 1.4 petrol (if anyone has one for sale or can direct me

- someone nearby with vag-com and the ability to reprogramme the sensor so that it’s calibrated to my vehicle.

To complicate matters, I am unable to move the vehicle at present (long story) so would need the part posting to Hastings or someone able to pop by and help.

p.s - my error code scanner only gives me the first part of the error code not the bit about whether it’s the wrong part or broken (as per Ross-tech website) so I am unable to tell which it is. Perhaps a sensor that’s likely to work for my vehicle would be the safest bet.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Hi mate. The airbag sensors have to have EXACTLY the same part number including the letter(s) that suffix the numbers. That may be what the problem is.

Reactions: DanielC

DanielC

May 8, 2023
Hastings
Hi, thanks for your reply. The part number I’m working from is: 6q0909606 , the driver’s side one has a K at the end but works when I swap it over to the passenger. Do you mean some other part number I’m missing? From what I’ve read on here it’s an ‘invisible’ index number that either needs to match (by luck or sourced exactly same model car) or can be programmed with VAG-com.

Or did you mean this bit (see photo)?
F8F495C2-CA28-4CD1-889B-3624CEE28398.jpeg

Last edited:

DanielC

May 8, 2023
Hastings
The letter part of the part number can only be seen via Vagcom (possibly OBDEleven). If they don't match, it won't work
The driver side sensor had a sticker on it with additional letters/numbers - I believe I now have the exact part number

6Q0909606K 00A​

. Are you able to recommend and good potential places to source this? Google not showing up too much. Any forum members? Many thanks

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Did the one you buy come from a seat leon? Most of them are from golfs and audis and i'm pretty sure that even if the part number is the same, it also needs to have come from the same car.
I think the vag-com/VCDS route is probably the best bet for working out what is going on. Although i've used VCDS pretty extensively, i've never had to do anything with the airbags, so i'm not sure what adaptations a possible using it.

Here is the full definition of your fault code, from the makers of VCDS http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01222

Edit: I've looked into it more and like MotoJoJo said, you need VCDS to be able to see the group number. (See the attached notes about the golf, but i believe the same applies to our cars)
Judging by that, it seems if you fit a new controller then the old sensors must be replaced, so i'm guessing there is no way to reprogram them, even for main dealers.

To sum up, i think your best bet would be to find another sensor that you can be 100% sure comes from another mk1 leon, and praying that it works! Likely the group/index number willl be the same.

Attachments

• airbagnotes.png
    airbagnotes.png
    26 KB · Views: 67
  • 1683733005721.png
    1683733005721.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

DanielC

May 8, 2023
Hastings
Did the one you buy come from a seat leon? Most of them are from golfs and audis and i'm pretty sure that even if the part number is the same, it also needs to have come from the same car.
I think the vag-com/VCDS route is probably the best bet for working out what is going on. Although i've used VCDS pretty extensively, i've never had to do anything with the airbags, so i'm not sure what adaptations a possible using it.

Here is the full definition of your fault code, from the makers of VCDS http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01222

Edit: I've looked into it more and like MotoJoJo said, you need VCDS to be able to see the group number. (See the attached notes about the golf, but i believe the same applies to our cars)
Judging by that, it seems if you fit a new controller then the old sensors must be replaced, so i'm guessing there is no way to reprogram them, even for main dealers.

To sum up, i think your best bet would be to find another sensor that you can be 100% sure comes from another mk1 leon, and praying that it works! Likely the group/index number willl be the same.
Hey, thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Yes, I think you’re right. If you hear of anyone with one for sale or a mk1 breaking, then please let me know. Thanks again 👍

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Last edited:
Reactions: DanielC