Subtle aesthetic modifications to consider?

dynamis_dk

Jun 28, 2017
Barnsley, Yorkshire
Are you sure it's illegal to tint fronts in the UK? I was under the impression it was the level of light the window lets through on the front windows, rather then a straight it's not allowed. I'm looking to do my FR ST in the upcoming months and would be gutted if I couldn't have the fronts done too as I had a focus estate before and had front and rear - couldn't quote the % on them tho

Last edited:

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
Are you sure it's illegal to tint fronts in the UK? I was under the impression it was the level of light the window lets through on the front windows, rather then a straight it's not allowed. I'm looking to do my FR ST in the upcoming months and would be gutted if I couldn't have the fronts done too as I had a focus estate before and had front and rear - couldn't quote the % on them tho

Unless the rules have changed recently. I looked into it a few years back.

Yes, the rules dictate a certain % of light must be let through.
The problem is the manufacturers tint to this level as standard on the front windows so any additional tint takes you over the legal limit.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
The legal limit is (or was) 70% of light transmitted, many/most standard glass tints from the factory are at this limit to the point where a piece of sellotape will make less light pass through the glass, I know I tried it when I had access to the same testing gear the police use.
Speeding or not using the indicators are not constantly obvious to the law, tints will also invalidate your insurance if illegal.
Your choice of course.

Scully088

May 14, 2017
They are team heiko I got them from ebay for about £30 quid. As for the tinted lights it just comes in a role that you heat and stretch over the light. You will need a few tools to do this and YouTube will walk you through it. I did the front originally as well which looks great but costs visibility dearly come winter.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I think the lights would definitely look sweet. Window tints always look good too so i may consider them too.

Scully088

May 14, 2017

That is correct you can tint them and I'm sure its 40% or something max

Fraser87

Mar 3, 2017
I had an idea a month back to cut a piece of perspex the right size to sit inside the window frame when the window is up and tint that to be a removable sort of tinted screen. It did actually kind of work and looked good from the outside but was just hugely impractical. So yeah don't do that lol. I would love to find a company who done the fitted sort of netting for the front windows as in the summer glare can be a massive problem in Scotland.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Are you sure it's illegal to tint fronts in the UK?

There was a Corsa-boy in Irvine, Airshire, who pulled out in front of someone at a junction. Guy in the other car was killed. They tested the Corsa's tinted front windows and they were too dark. Kid got six-years.

If you talk to Auto Glass or any other reputable car glass company about tinting front windows they'll probably all tell you the same thing. Just don't do it.

Personally, I wouldn't put heavy tint on any of my windows. They put windows in a car for a reason!

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I had an idea a month back to cut a piece of perspex the right size to sit inside the window frame when the window is up and tint that to be a removable sort of tinted screen. It did actually kind of work and looked good from the outside but was just hugely impractical. So yeah don't do that lol. I would love to find a company who done the fitted sort of netting for the front windows as in the summer glare can be a massive problem in Scotland.

Taking your idea a bit further, why not cut smaller pieces of said tinted perspex , make a frame to hold them, and put them.over your head in front of your eyes.. I know, you could call them 'Glare Glasses' ... I'm sure it would catch on...:p

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
From Gov website - Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later
The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.

Fraser87

Mar 3, 2017
There was a Corsa-boy in Irvine, Airshire, who pulled out in front of someone at a junction. Guy in the other car was killed. They tested the Corsa's tinted front windows and they were too dark. Kid got six-years.

If you talk to Auto Glass or any other reputable car glass company about tinting front windows they'll probably all tell you the same thing. Just don't do it.

Personally, I wouldn't put heavy tint on any of my windows. They put windows in a car for a reason!
I dont imagine he got six years for tinted windows. Probably more like involuntary manslaughter or something akin to that. Granteed it wont have helped his case but it shouldn't overshadow the fact he may have just been negligent. I think most will admit to having nearly pulled out and jumping on the breaks at one time or another. Regardless of how much I disagree with the blanket ban approach the rules make it so front tints are an invite for police scrutiny at the very least and therefore best avoided along with improper spacing on registrations.

Having said that I love the look of limo tint on the back and it releaves worry over leaving valuables in the back to some extent. Rear seat passengers do complain that they're body clocks don't know what's hit them. But in my world the cheap seats opinion holds little to no importance.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Not in front windows

Could be country specific, to comply with local laws.
My ex wife was Finnish. At least I think she was, she was always saying "you haven't finished this" and "you haven't finished that" :rofl:
No racial slurs, insults or stereotyping intended of course. ;)

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I've done a couple jobs on my FR so far. The front end involved fitting a TRC splitter, wrapping the front bumper behind the plate and the "bar" below it black and plasti dipping the grill black also. I did dip the badge too but didnt like it so I went back to chrome again.
Before and after shot.
I9BQy41.jpg

Around the rear I have blacked out the "LEON" badge, and I have fitter a Rieger diffuser. This is my favourite mod so far. It took the rear end from a boring old Leon to something that looks a bit more aggressive.
6A3g4h3.jpg

szDwFEw.jpg

This was all then finished off with a 2 day intensive paint correction and ceramic coat sealant. No point making the car look good if it isn't protected for years to come.
mZQT4Ue.jpg

I'm in the planning stages of changing to a Cupra next year so I'm reluctant to put any more money into it as is but I would like some darker window tints, smoked tail lights and a blacked out roof. I've also had it chipped so its putting out slightly more power. it's only a 1.4TSI 125bhp model so every little helps.

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
Could be country specific, to comply with local laws.
My ex wife was Finnish. At least I think she was, she was always saying "you haven't finished this" and "you haven't finished that" :rofl:
No racial slurs, insults or stereotyping intended of course. ;)

Being stereotyped by a brummie is like being savaged by a blind poodle. :duck: